Alaska in October...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Alaska in October...

Hi!
    I'll be spending most of October month in Alaska. This will be my first visit to this part of the US, so I have a couple of questions what to bring and where to ride.
    I'll be staying in either Fairbanks or Anchorage, don't know for sure yet - so it would be great if someone would comment on both areas.
    What's the weather and climate like in October? Still good for riding?
    I own both a DH and AM/trail-bike (140mm travel), which bike should I bring? Any bikeparks in any of the areas?
    Where are the best places to ride in the areas mentioned?

Thanks!

Haavar
    Oslo, Norway

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Early October in Anchorage should still have good riding provided the rain isn't overpowering. I'd just bring the AM bike. It will handle most of what the area has to offer. As for Fairbanks, October would likely be in full winter mode.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Alyeskas bike park will be going in October

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I love biking southcentral AK in October. It is cold--dress for winter riding. But the roads and trails will be virtually absent other users, so you will have them all to yourself. And be careful about the rain--it can freeze up and create real slick spots. Come on up and enjoy it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Oct. trail riding in Fairbanks is a great time to ride. On average the first snowfall that sticks is around the 10th and that's usually only a couple of inches and can be easily ridden. We generally don't get enough snow for winter trails to pack until Nov. I would think about studded tires for Anch. or Fairbanks. By Oct. the ground should be freezing and that means puddles and other small bodies of water will be freezing, at least in Fairbanks. If there is a thin layer of snow which hides the ice, studs help considerably. Lots of good riding around Fairbanks but mostly fire roads, 4-wheeler trails winter snowmachine-ski-dogsled-bike trails and the like. There is some singletrack and more on the way this summer but nothing like Anchorage. For more information on Fairbanks bike trails contact the Fairbanks Cycle Club website, Goldstream Sports website or Beaver Sports website.

It will be getting colder but nothing too rude. Keeping your feet warm might be the only challenge if you don't have the right footwear and experiance. t

Members who have read this thread: 0