Alaska Bike Packing trails?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Alaska Bike Packing trails?

I'm looking to head up to Alaska to visit a friend and do some bike packing in August. The plan is to find about 100 miles of single track trails to do as a self supported point to point. Rideable singltrack is the key here, I've never been much of a fan of dirt roads, or double track.

It appears that my google skills are lacking, b/c I'm having a heck of a time finding large networks of trails that string together. Can anyone recomend a trail network that can allow some overland bike travel? Idealy we would like to be getting up and over more than a few mountain passes, and I would like to be able to see at least one glacier flow.

Can anyone help me out?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    You could do Johnson pass trail along with Resurection pass and Devils pass. These are Kenai Pennisula trails. Hope you are in great shape ! lol

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Jeff,

Thanks for the tip. How wet will this area be during August? I ask as I am not famluar with the areas that have permafrost / tussock.

Thanks,
    Chad

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Just looked at the map, way farther south than I orgionaly thought. I guess a better question is, does the rain keep this area a mud bowl over the summer?

Thanks,
    Chad

mtbr member

I might recommend...

...Hope to Seward...
    Start in Hope and ride to Coopers Landing via the Resurrection Trail, road ride a mile or three and head South on the Russian Lakes trail. Veer right at the Russian Lakes / Russian River junction. Proceed to the Exit Glacier trailhead. Make noise, keep an eye out for Bear, enjoy. Supposedly the trail has received some maintenance since the last time I went through...
    If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?

mtbr member
    trail conditions on the kenai in august will likely be wet and overgrown. the best riding down there will be over the next two months. i suggest going north of anchorage.

Ologist
    There is not much singletrack north of anchorage though. Mostly mining and atv trails.

Caveman
    To do singletrack overnight trips you'll need to link up trails that are on the Kenai maps.
    No permafrost issues.. that is for the north.
    Go Hope-resurrection pass, russian lakes in reverse, then up bean creek bak to Resurrection to Devils pass-then down devils pass, take the road to the south end of Johnson's pass ride that north and take the road back to Hope. That would be a good 2 day trip. like 140 miles? no glaciers though, will be gnarly in August.

Members who have read this thread: 0