AKUSPORT Trail Report- Mtbr.com
    Bill M

AKUSPORT Trail Report

Flew into Finger Lake with food drops today for the Iditarod Trail Invitational but got turned around by a snow storm trying to get to Puntilla. Being the sadist I am I have already sent this trail report to all the racers via latest news for the rest of you who care here it is: 21 feet of snow this winter at Finger Lake with 5 feet of that coming in this last storm. Stopped at Yentna station where its been raining for a couple of days. Plenty of snow still byt a touch soggy. I saw lots of overflow on the little creeks running into the Yentna but no "VISIBLE" overflow on the river. Supposed to cool of before Sunday so Pete keep us out of your prayers and maybe we can ride next weekend. Bill M

Caveman
    This chinook really wrecked havoc, there was a bit of overfow on Eagle River yesterday and flowing overflow today in the rapids area. crazy.

Bill M

Made it to Rohn

Made it to Puntilla and Rohn today a bit wind battered but good to have all the supplies and drops in place. Saw some overflow on the Skwentna and Yentna but not too bad. We got knocked out of Rainy Pass and flew in through Ptarmigan. I could see remnants of the Irondog trail down the South Fork and the ice looked good at 150mph from 200 feet. Refrozen overflow on the Tatina but nothing fresh. A little open water as usual on the Tatina and Dalzel creek. Came back through Rainy Pass and it looked good with little to no windloading just a good snow cover over the Pass. 40 degrees in Rohn go figure. Anyone who saw the picture of Joe Beech's cabin on channel 2 the bottom of that cabin is 8 feet off the ground. It's about half way between Shell and Finger Lake.
    Attached Images Attached Images

This place needs an enema
    I call foul!

How come the race director gets to use racer money to go scout the trail in advance?!

Just kiddin'!

And what's with the weather? Has Pete been whining about the cold and having his Dad ensure that his prayers get answered? Next thing you know he's just gonna say 'screw it' and move south to escape the cold.

BTW--it's colder here in the desert today than anywhere in the whole dang state of Alaska!

See y'all in a few days...

MC

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I waiting for someone to tell me i missed the race and its really april.

Its colder in the warehouse back home.

as Al Sheldon said before i left "anything can happen out there and usually does".

Caveman
    Hey Mike, now you can ditch all that fuel and just scoup up water from the overflow. should make that bike a bit lighter.

Carl - I've grown attached to your bike. You need to find another one. she's left you for me.
    sorry it has to come to this, but its better this way.

Bill M

Hard Choices

[QUOTE=mikesee]I call foul!

How come the race director gets to use racer money to go scout the trail in advance?!

Hey It was a tough choice! A couple hours flying around the Alaska Range or a week at Disney World. I even shared----------most of it any way.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

don't worry...

The trails are actually shaping up to be the fastest we've seen all winter. The deep snow gets warm and compresses down into a harder base, then colder air sets it up nicely. The Anchorage trails are like side walks today and it's 35 degrees. The cold front coming in this weekend should make the Ultrasport a record ride.
    But then again, I could be wrong....
    Good luck racers!
    Pat

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    "The Best trails I've ever seen." - Bill Merchant, 2/23/2008

Write it down.

Members who have read this thread: 0