AK Specfic 29er tire- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006

AK Specfic 29er tire

After ripping my Rampage off of my rim 2x in the downhill race last night, I am looking for something a little more secure up there. I'm not entirely sure of the cause, maybe air pressure? I was running 35 psi which is what I normally run, maybe this is too low dor DH? Somebody mentioned it may have been a volume thing too as the Rampage is one of the wider 29er tires at 2.35 and my rims are pure XC.

I have a Nano that I like in dry, firm conditions but I've found that it tends to wash out in sand and it's not an option in wet conditions. I've also had a Nevegal up there but didn't like that. I'm considering one of the Maxxis tires, the Crossmax or Ignitor, but thought I'd check for feedback first before dropping $$ on random tires.

Oh, and I should mention that I'm looking for a realtively low rolling resistance.

No, that's not phonetic
    I have been happy with my WTB Stouts. They look freaky in the rolling resistance department, but they roll surprisingly smooth. They are probably some of the meatiest 29er tires out there. Mine were just over 900g each.

My favorite mud/soft conditions XC 29er tires are the Bontrager Jones ACX 2.2. They are light (under 700g) and really hook up nicely. The Panaracer Fire XC 29er are a slightly heavier and meatier version of the Bontragers. If you want a nice mud tires that are light, go with the Jones ACX. If you want some meatier treads that still roll well, try the WTB Stouts. I have Rampages too (work fine), along with some others like the WTB Weirwolf LT (lame traction), but my faves are the Jones and Stouts depending on conditions.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

@adelorenzo
    What rims are you runnning? My Rampages are golden, but I ride 27 mm wide rims. Also, some rims are a little on the loose side, I find.

I had a set of Ignitors. They are very light and fast, with decent grip, but they felt squirmy to me and I wouldn't trust the sidewalls. You are a lot lighter so that might help out somewhat.

My only other experience is with Weirwolf or Exiwolf tires. Like tscheezy said, not much traction. I currently run a Weirwolf in the back, just so I didn't waste my investment, but they are way to sketch to run up front.

I am interested to try the Conti tires -- Vapor or Mountain King, they look alright. But the 2.4 is no where near 2.4... Probably more like a 2.2.

is buachail foighneach me
    the 2.4 apparently stretches after a month or so, or a few days at near max pressure(65). the tread is also super soft, so they would definitely squirm more than ignitors.

the stout would work very well for trails like at hillside, but it is heavy. i run one on the front because i wouldn't want to have to turn that over out back. i feel like it has more volume than a rampage, so probably not an option with narrow rims. if you can find motoraptors, they're a great tire, narrow enough for your rims and reasonable in weight. i'm currently running one out back.

i've rolled a rampage off a bontrager race rim before. i really think mtb rims should start at 26mm minimum, and prefer 28-30mm.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    So I guess I should have mentioned that. Seems my options are limited due to the fact I am running Bontrager Mustang OSB's with a width of 22mm. I did not know about/take rim width into account when having these built...hmm. Maybe the Delgados would have been a better choice.

@adelorenzo
    I haven't heard good things about the Delgado rims... I started with a set of Velocity Dyad rims that were also on the narrow side, and they made me nervous with fat tires. IIRC, the Rampage sidewalls are stamped to use with a 21 mm+ rim, so at 22 you are close to the limit for that tire.

I switched to Sun Rhyno Lites, which are cheap and strong and something like 27-28 mm wide, it made a world of difference. Sun also makes a better quality 29er rim (the Equalizer), and I am sure there are lots of other beefy 29er options out there. If you are riding more DH-type stuff, you might consider a wider, beefier rim, at least for those types of rides.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Ralphs!!

My favorites are Racing Ralphs 2.4s. They are light, fast & high volume - perfect for around here. I've run them for several years on my 26" ride and have run them since they became available this year on the 29er. They work well tubeless with Stans and because of their size a wider rim is best. Some say they are a bit fragile which would make sense given their light weight - in a rocky area that might be a concern, but around Anchorage it just isn't an issue. These tires are really fun - the low rolling weight makes your bike feel fast & light & root-eating. Since both of my steeds are 30lbs or so so the illusion is appreciated.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    So I ripped another, narrower tire off of my rim during the Soggy on Sat and it sucked...again. Today I pulled the tube out and inflated it and look what I found. Perhaps it was not a rim or tire issue, eh? That thing is frightening!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    What are you feeding that thing!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    What are you feeding that thing!
    Large chunks of flesh obviously. It's like a hideously mutated boa constrictor.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Snake!!!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I use the WTB weirwolve 2.5 on my converted puglsey they have worked real well so far. They are a little heavy, but hey, after riding it with endomorphs and large marge rims it seems light !
    Attached Images Attached Images

Members who have read this thread: 0