AK Endurance Association, Soggy Bottom- Mtbr.com
    rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! AK Endurance Association, Soggy Bottom

The new site, aksoggybottom.com is the place to find out information on the AEA rides and the summer crown jewel The Fabulous Soggy Bottom 100.
    Also you will find details for the Memorial Day weekend ride Denaili Classic !

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Awesome site!

Rio,

Your site is awesome. Great photos!

This may be the year I try one of these long rides I keep hearing about.

Pat

rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Thanks, and Fat Tire Beach Race

Hey Pat !
    Thank you for the compliment !
    That is Julie P's work !
    Say, I'm wondering if you can do a recon for and out and back Fat Tire Bike beach race that would start and end at the Saltyty Dawg? I would like to have your help to check out the distance first of all
    say around a 25 miler round trip and a 75 miler? I know low and high tides would be a major consideration.

When? Summer perhaps, self supported- you betcha !

Thanks in advance !!

Quote Originally Posted by patirwin
    Rio,

Your site is awesome. Great photos!

This may be the year I try one of these long rides I keep hearing about.

Pat

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

a few beach options

Rio,

You have a few options, all out/back rides. Kinda hard to do a beach loop unless you include some road or make it really long, like a few thousand miles. Beach riding is flat as it gets!

Salty Dawg to Anchor Pt = 40 miles round trip (RT)

Salty to Fox River at head of K-Bay = 70 miles RT

Two Sisters Bakery to AP = 30 miles RT

Two Sisters to Ninilchik = 80 miles RT

Sisters has become the preferred start/end point since it's smoke free and the coffee is a good motivator. It's also right on Bishops Beach in town. It's where we start/end the 200K brevet.
    Salty Dawg is a great spot but still a very smoky bar. I try to stay out of there. Another 1/4 mile is Lands End Resort which is the end of the US Hwy and the end of the Spit beach. Maybe you can start/end there and refer to it as the "End of the Earth" or something crafty like that.

You can also start/end from Kenai, Capt Cook SP, Glam Gulch, Ninilchik or anywhere on the Kenai Pen. beach. It's all good beach. Maybe Kenai will attract more folks with the shorter drive.

All beach riding is tide-dependent and everyone needs to have a tide book and learn how to use it.

You should have the ride during a minus tide, which is in GREEN print in the low tide column of your tide book. Positive low tides and high tides are all in BLACK print. A clam tide, in the -5 ft range , is ideal since we get more beach to ride for a longer time, and there will a lot of clammers on the beach to keep you company. The flip side of that is when the low tides are really low, like minus 5 ft, the high tides will be really high, so you don't want to get caught out there with no where to go.

A Light Tide, where the low tide is not very low and High tide is not very high, is not good either. I found this out the hard way. I thought I could ride at high tide, which I could, but the cliffs along the beach are constantly eroding sending rocks onto the beach. A near-miss at 3am alone on the beach and no one knew where I was is not a good situation to be in. Please avoid that situation when planning this ride!

Look for GREEN low tides!

NOTE: The stretch from Homer to AP is all bluff with no bail-out spots, so it must be completed before high tide. You don't want to get pinned against the bluff with no where to go!
    A fit rider can do 6-10 MPH on packed sand at low tide.

I've ridden the Homer/AP/Ninilchik/Clam Gulch/Kenai stretch several times and it's all good except for two major river crossings - Kenai & Kasilof. They can't be crossed at low tide unless you do the packraft thing. The Anchor River, Starisky Creek and several other small creeks can all be crossed at low tide.

I have not ridden up to the head of the bay so don't have any info on that, but I know who has ridden that part who can help you out.

Hope this helps,

Pat

mtbr member
    High tides also leave the beach more rideable. A beach that hasn't had a "pound sand-ing" becomes softer and slower to ride. And yes, I have eyeballed those sloughing bluffs in consideration of lessor evils: mudslide v. Cook Inlet tide. Looking forward to this ride when it is developed.
    "I get a buzz from being cold and wet ~ the pleasure seems to balance out the pain" - Blue, Red and Grey The Who By Numbers

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Anytime

Good to get your feedback Tony.

Carlos, the beach is always good anytime of the year. I consider it the best trail in Alaksa. No matter how hard it gets ridden, or how many horses tear it up, the high tide cleans it all up good as new.

Storms and tidal surges hit harder in Winter and the rocky beach like b/w Homer and AP is hard to ride at night unless very bright lights are used, so summer is the best time for your ride. At least when we have lots of daylight, so Early March into August is best.

The tide changes about every 6.5 hrs, so starting 1-3 hrs before low tide and ending 1-2 hrs before high tide is your window for finishing it in one tide cycle. The other option is a stage race/ride with a layover to wait out the tide. We could race Homer to AP, wait, then race back. Just a thought....

Pat

Members who have read this thread: 0