Advice please- Mtbr.com

Thread: Advice please

Jan 2004

Advice please

Some friends told me this afternoon they were looking for a bicycle for the 52 year old male portion of the couple to ride (the wife already has a bike). They see Clare and I on the trails around their house and think maybe that's a good way to get some exercise, so VOILA! they're gonna be bikers.

They've checked out our various bikes (Santa Cruz Juliana, Ellsworth Joker, Asylum, Ventana full suspension tandem) and they like the looks of them. They ask what kind of bike they should get, and after some discussion I ask the crucial question: "How much do you want to spend?"

Two hundred dollars was the answer.

Whaddaya say to that?

Ken

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Ken are you the Ken who worked for DOT at east fork and cantwell ? I heard you were. I'm Terry from chulitna.

Jan 2004

Yup, that's me.

Quote Originally Posted by ak slow poke
    Ken are you the Ken who worked for DOT at east fork and cantwell ? I heard you were. I'm Terry from chulitna.
    Are you still working there? Who else? Kirk went to Palmer, right? Martin Bee still there? Warren? What's the mechanic's name...Ralph was it?

I don't get down that way much. Stopped in at East Fork this summer and sorted through the scraps left over...ah, the memories...glad I don't have to do THAT anymore!

It's five freakin' degrees here. I'm thrilled.

Ken

mtbr member

... and if we just ... Used!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ken
    Some friends told me this afternoon they were looking for a bicycle for the 52 year old male portion of the couple to ride (the wife already has a bike). They see Clare and I on the trails around their house and think maybe that's a good way to get some exercise, so VOILA! they're gonna be bikers.

They've checked out our various bikes (Santa Cruz Juliana, Ellsworth Joker, Asylum, Ventana full suspension tandem) and they like the looks of them. They ask what kind of bike they should get, and after some discussion I ask the crucial question: "How much do you want to spend?"

Whaddaya say to that?

Ken
    Ken, thats unreal! They have no idea.
    What can ya say except....WALLMART
    Dave
    Idaho Transplant (closet roadie)

ABC Rec Div / STA Trails

Ah.. maybe a reality check is in order.

Whaddaya say to that?

Ken
    ??? All the bikes you listed are at least what 2500 bucks a peice and you can't even get a used full suspension frame for $200 I would guess?

Note, In the rest of my response I am assuming these are not very athletic people and just felt they needed to start some form of exercise. If they are already athletic, well then obviously some of this can be discarded.

I recently went through something similar with one of my co-workers though, she is 59 and pretty out of shape. She had not botten a bicycle since the 70s or early 80s and thought for just a couple hundred she would be able to get a pretty decent bike and was shocked by the concept that a entry level hard tail worth even its scrap metal weight was going to cost her at least $300. After some convincing on how much bikes cost these days, and the added benefit of just spending a little bit more you can greatly increase your enjoyability of riding and thus will get a better value for your money.

I eventually convinced her to spend about $550 on a hard tail with a name brand shock on it. She has ridden it a few times now and has not gotten used to having so many gears but is overall happy with it, though she says she does get a little sore relatively quickly. Thus the argument for spending at least a grand and getting something that won't be the crap out of you.

As on older rider now many years into retirement told me, they spend a lot on our bikes to make them light weight so they are easier to pedal and most importantly comfortable. That way they can use them longer and get more exercise out of them.

On the other hand, my parents (both of which turn 50 this year), I have seen them buy new costco bikes every couple of years and have thought if they just get a cushier seat they will actually ride them this time around. Have they ever ridden them more than two or three times, no. I believe thier collection of bikes is currently up to 6, all with probably less than 50 miles on them.

I will stop for now before I start rambling too much..

Christopher

Jan 2004

Catch 22ish, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by crsouser

As on older rider now many years into retirement told me, they spend a lot on our bikes to make them light weight so they are easier to pedal and most importantly comfortable. That way they can use them longer and get more exercise out of them.

Christopher
    Excellent points all the way around, Christopher. Part of the problem is people borrow one of our full suspension bikes and go on rides with us and want to duplicate that experience while only spending a small fraction of the money.

One neighbor lady who's in her upper 50s fell into that trap, and finally agreed to spend $623 for an entry level full suspension bike at the LBS. She loved it compared to her old rigid bike...until she went on another ride with us. As we were loading the bikes in the back of the truck she was dumbstruck by the weight comparison between hers and Clare's Juliana, and she's been whining about how much her bike weighs ever since.

I pointed out to her that JUST THE WHEELSET on Clare's bike cost a dollar more than she'd paid for her whole bike, but I'm not sure she believes me!

The old: Cheap, Light, Strong...pick two....certainly comes into play, doesn't it.

It reminds me of being a kid and being given a cheap guitar "just to learn on" and see if I was going to want to play. The strings were like half an inch off the fret board and it took two hands to mash them down...well, almost.

Ken

ps: Your PARENTS are turning 50 this year??? Sheesh. Now I feel really old.

Beware of Doggerel

Good luck with that

Ken,

Good luck. I don’t think I would ride a $200 bike in your area unless I had a stock of at least $400 in spare parts. You might try and give them an analogy from something they are into. Like the guitar example in your post. Put it in terms they understand "…a $200 bike is like an $XXX motorcycle, car, firearm, guitar…whatever…" I think most folks interests have cheap items that aren’t really up to snuff. To an outsider the cheap ones seem fine and the more expensive models seem crazy. That is probably the best way to go. Give ‘em something to relate to.

The other thing is what kind of bike does the woman in the couple ride. He probably needs something of similar quality if they are going to be riding together. If she gets by with a $200 bike, maybe he could also. The problem is if they really take off on this thing then they will outgrow a $200 bike very very quickly.

And don’t let them touch your nice bikes, this thing we all have is highly contagious, and seems to be transmitted by gear. You could doom them to a life of bike acquisition.

Adam

Excellent points all the way around, Christopher. Part of the problem is people borrow one of our full suspension bikes and go on rides with us and want to duplicate that experience while only spending a small fraction of the money.

One neighbor lady who's in her upper 50s fell into that trap, and finally agreed to spend $623 for an entry level full suspension bike at the LBS. She loved it compared to her old rigid bike...until she went on another ride with us. As we were loading the bikes in the back of the truck she was dumbstruck by the weight comparison between hers and Clare's Juliana, and she's been whining about how much her bike weighs ever since.

I pointed out to her that JUST THE WHEELSET on Clare's bike cost a dollar more than she'd paid for her whole bike, but I'm not sure she believes me!

The old: Cheap, Light, Strong...pick two....certainly comes into play, doesn't it.

It reminds me of being a kid and being given a cheap guitar "just to learn on" and see if I was going to want to play. The strings were like half an inch off the fret board and it took two hands to mash them down...well, almost.

Ken

ps: Your PARENTS are turning 50 this year??? Sheesh. Now I feel really old.

Jan 2004

Hmmmm........

Quote Originally Posted by Adam
    The other thing is what kind of bike does the woman in the couple ride. He probably needs something of similar quality if they are going to be riding together.
    I just went over and looked at her bike. Fortunately, they weren't home so I didn't have to offer an immediate opinion. The bike was leaning up against the picnic table. I don't know who built it, but it was marketed by Cabela's. It's an 18 speed, but only one gear works. The headset is so loose I'm sure there are no bearings in there anymore. The brakes were also rusted up; she did say something about dragging her feet to stop. I thought it was a joke.

I guess it's a golden opportunity for me to demonstrate some bike maintenance, eh?

Ken

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yep I'm still at chulitna. Everbody else too just like you thought. we might be having a barbeque at the cantwell shop one of these wed. if the weather ever gives us a break. I'll keep you posted maybe you could come down and hook up with everybody

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

gotta spend more

Ken, ditto what we're all thinking anyway, they need to spend more for bikes worth riding. I'm a partial LBS owner, but $200 is buying them crap that they'll replace next year after figuring it out.
    Try to convey to them that they need to spend a minimum of $500 for a bike that's worthy of your area, and more for some bells and whistles.
    And they should go thru the LBS to get the best after-sale service.
    How's the Denali Hwy lookin'?
    Pat