Adios Fred- Mtbr.com

Thread: Adios Fred

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Adios Fred

For those of you who knew Fred Bull, I'm sorry to report that he passed away this week after battling brain cancer for a few years.

Fred was a heck of an athlete and a fun one to have on the trail, and he enjoyed life right up to the end.

His dad started the Iditasport.

Adios Fred, you're already missed......

Pat Irwin

Alaska Turner Mafia

So sorry to hear it.

I remember Fred as a hard charging, give-it-everything kind of kid. May he rest in peace.

I'll never forget one year at the Iditabike start. Fred had a Litespeed hardtail with SnoCats set up for the race. He snapped a rear brake housing stop that hung from the bolt of his seat clamp (or maybe it was the bolt). He was only running a rear brake for the race anyway, and that rendered his brake useless. His attitude was to just deal with it, and ride the 100 miles without any brakes. He was just a tough kid to stop. He faced challenges head on, pretty tough for a youngster already.

That damn cancer is an awful thing, I've had several members of my close family pass because of it. I'm sure Fred gave it a valiant effort to fight it off, it was his nature to be a competitor. Really sad to hear, I thought he was a good kid. And that's exactly what he was, just a kid. He was really cheated.

My condolences to family, I can only imagine your pain. Like Pat said, Adios Fred.
    Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

mtbr member

one hell of a guy

http://wenatcheeworld.com/apps/pbcs....WS04/710149982 heres a link to an article that ran in the wenache paper. i was fortunate to have visited fred and naomi, and there new baby couple of months ago. he was incredibly optimistic. he kept saying "the next time i see you guys, ill be better and we'll go biking." he never gave up and fought this disease head on even when his condition worsened. i grew up with him and would not be where i am today if it were not for him and dan. i would like to remember his life, not his death. so heres to you fred. you will be with us on our adventures. -ryan

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

So sorry to hear that

I grew up with Fred. Went to Hanshew and Service with him. Skied on the ski teams with him. Great guy. Always out to have a good time and make the most of life. He wasn't going to let anything slow him down without a fight. He made the most of the too short amount of time he had. Not many people will have the chance to experience half of what he did in a full lifetime.

those are Rollercams...
    Didn't know Fred but from what I've read here, I wish I had. Adios, Fred.

Truly a wealth of useless information.

http://blackdogadventureteam.blogspot.com/

Caveman
    I only knew of him really, and one bike race to McCarthy in the dust, which he won...
    From friends of mine that are close friends of his he had incredible passion and drive in life.
    It feels like a kindred spirit has been lost. Rest in Peace Fred. Life is precious.

mtbr member

crazy adventure

heres a clip from a ski day in hatchers. fred is the second skier to go down and one lucky guy, this time. jerry stuart is the last skier who causes the slide. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDI5108RXok the footage is taken by jake young.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I met Fred through a mutual friend, in a long night that involved many many beers, a limo and skis. We talked winter sports. He'll be missed by all.

mtbr member

x post from telemark tips

the following is a post from erica madison with details of the upcoming memorial for fred and his family........................Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:12 pm Post subject: Fred Bull Memorial
    Hello skiers and riders...It has been a rough week with the passing of my buddy Fred, but looking on this site made me feel a lot better. It is good to see everyone out riding already, ripping turns to honor an amazing guy!

I am putting on a memorial for Fred on October 25th at the Rock Gym. It will be from 8:00pm and go until 11:30pm. It will be a short service and then desert and drinks. I don’t have a lot of your email addresses and if you would like a formal invite, please just send me your emails. Anyone is welcome...feel free to bring desert or drink or a donation to Naomi and Eva (Fred’s wife and daughter). PLEASE PASS THE WORD ALONG! If you have questions you can contact me at [email protected].

I will try to post a reminder about this later this week, with a few more details. OH also if you have any photos of Fred that you could send me, or I could pick up and make copies, please let me know.

Thanks, Erica Madison
    Last edited by ak greeff; 10-22-2008 at 10:54 PM.

mtbr member

fred's memorial

the time has been changed. it is now starting at 8:00pm. at the alaska rock gym.

vtsnow
    I had the great pleasure of getting to know Fred when he was 9 years old. I moved from Seattle to Anchorage after being bitten by the Iditabike bug in 1988. I moved in with Dan, Laurel, Audrey and Becki for a few months while I got myself established. Even at 9, Fred had a pention for play and adventure and was never afraid to let it loose. As the years went by, Fred's passion for the outdoors only grew stronger and it sounds like he stayed that course until the day of his passing. My heart goes out to his family, Laurel, Audrey, Becki and Dan (where ever you are). I am deeply saddened.

Steve Mitchell (now living in Vermont with Teresa and kids)

mtbr member
    Damn and ****.

Spent a great few weeks with Fred the twice I was out in Alaska for i-bike in '96 and '97.
    Rode to joint 6th place with him in i-bike100 in '97.

Utterly gutted to read this, when I was hunting for info for a guy I know who's doing i-bike in 09.

Laurel, Dan, Becki, Audrey. I'm so sorry.

Members who have read this thread: 0