Absolute Best Single Track in Alaska- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Absolute Best Single Track in Alaska

I'm thinking about heading up to you guys in a couple months to do some riding. I'll be in Whistler and thought it'd be cool to ride in Alaska. It looks to be a couple days drive.

If I go, what trails would I want to do? I imagine you have some very cool stuff up there. How about something with some cool scenery or long descents. I'm more into downhill/freeride stuff, but would love to do XC for a few days in Alaska.

So, if I go, what do I need to hit? I've seen 4 or 5 trail names float around in this forum, but I'd like specifics about the trails before I drive up there.

Thanks a lot for the help.

Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by Jared5755
    I'm thinking about heading up to you guys in a couple months to do some riding. I'll be in Whistler and thought it'd be cool to ride in Alaska. It looks to be a couple days drive.

If I go, what trails would I want to do? I imagine you have some very cool stuff up there. How about something with some cool scenery or long descents. I'm more into downhill/freeride stuff, but would love to do XC for a few days in Alaska.

So, if I go, what do I need to hit? I've seen 4 or 5 trail names float around in this forum, but I'd like specifics about the trails before I drive up there.

Thanks a lot for the help.
    Lost Lake for sure.
    Not exactly all single track but it is exactly all fun.
    .....cheatin' life, and peelin' out on the lawn.........
    -Sage Francis

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Resurrection Pass and/or Johnson Pass

Lost Lake would probably be the top of the list for scenery. A close 2nd and 3rd would be Resurrection Pass and Johnson Pass. Not all that technical by any means, but the views are great, not to mention to possibility of seeing moose and bears (hopefully from a bit of a distance....).

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I don't how much time you have but if you are driving the whole way (no ferries), you may want to stop in Whitehorse for a few days too. I don't know the trails there but from talking to the locals, there are trails everywhere and you can find pretty much any type of riding you'd want.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by anchskier
    Not all that technical by any means, but the views are great, not to mention to possibility of seeing moose and bears (hopefully from a bit of a distance....).
    So do most of you carry bear mace or something like that?

From what I've been reading, I'm pretty sure I'll be in Alaska biking sometime in July. This looks awesome.

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    I usually just flex my (glute) muscles at them and they run away with their little bear tail between their legs.

Seriously though it's probably a good idea anywhere in Alaska...especially on the trails mentioned.

Wu-Tang Academy Alumni

From what I've been reading, I'm pretty sure I'll be in Alaska biking sometime in July. This looks awesome.
    Make sure you have a nice sturdy basting brush to brush that pepper spray on to your arse. You might also bring along a nice Chianti for the bear to enjoy along with your nicely marinated carcase.

Enjoy the riding and scenery, bring along mucho respect for the wildlife and you'll be alright.
    .....cheatin' life, and peelin' out on the lawn.........
    -Sage Francis

Aug 2007
    you have better build up your miles before you arrive so you can nail all the the epic rides in consecutive order., I have never heard of a mtn biker getting mauled by a bear. Have you ? I have only seen the backs of bears as they run away from the oncoming rumble.

upper winner creek is my favorite, out and back is about 20 miles with an average speed of about 7 miles an hour. pick you line and clean it!!!!!

@adelorenzo
    If you are making the drive, stop in Whitehorse and/or Carcross. Check it out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

DMAT/Winner Creek

Darren your referring to the newly remodeled trail put in by the forest service?
    I've been on this one during a packrafting trip couple years back when we floated out the 20 mile but haven't been back after it was worked on
    txs
    mb

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by anthony.delorenzo
    If you are making the drive, stop in Whitehorse and/or Carcross. Check it out.
    From your tag it looks like you're from there. You are very lucky (at least in the summer...I bet winters are nasty)

Aug 2007
    Hey mb , you can thank uncle Ted for flowing the money our way, although; the trail does not drop all the way into the 20 mile basin. enjoy

May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mbeiergrohslein
    I've been on this one during a packrafting trip couple years back when we floated out the 20 mile but haven't been back after it was worked on
    txs
    mb

If you haven't seen this trail in a couple years, make sure to hit it, one way or another. It's AWESOME! The best in the Girdwood valley..or on the Arm, for that matter. Bravo FS on a great job!

mtbr member
    This thread is worthless without pictures.

From what I've heard a typical ride in Alaska includes dirt roads, big scenery, and wildlife.

Photo courtesy of Jeff or Heather. Not sure.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    dirt roads, big scenery, and wildlife
    Ummm...what? Denali Park road, all yes. Denali highway, all yes. Winner Creek, or anything on the Kenai: no, YES, yes.

You get some double-wide (ie summer ski trails) around Anchorage but as for the "classic" rides, there are no dirts road involved. Certainly not what you'd call overly technical but all single track. 2 words: Soggy Bottom

mtbr member
    I'll admit it - I've never ridden in Alaska in the summer. I just wanted to see some pictures.

mtbr member
    If you're heading up the Alcan, definately stop in Whitehorsehttp://www.imba.com/resources/successes/yukon.html. You might not want to leave.
    PM me if you are coming up and i can give you a tour or arrange for showing you the goods.

Wood chips are stupid

find pics

Quote Originally Posted by timroz
    I'll admit it - I've never ridden in Alaska in the summer. I just wanted to see some pictures.
    pic a poster from the ak forum,and look up their posted pictures. You will see some there.

akdeluxe
    "Trust me,you don't want a big baby."

JT

Members who have read this thread: 0