3rd Annual Russian Lakes Trail Maintenance; June 7th.- Mtbr.com
    ABC Rec Div / STA Trails

3rd Annual Russian Lakes Trail Maintenance; June 7th.

When:
    Saturday, June 7, 2008 at 7:45 AM (Departing No Later than 8:15)
    Car Pool Meet Location
    Carrs - Huffman
    1501 Huffman Rd.
    Anchorage , AK 99515

Who should come:
    This is the third annual event where we head down Russian Lakes Trail from the top of Snug Harbor Road back to the Russian River Campground and clear the trail of down brushed to provide a straight through route.
    Why:
    Its a fun and beautiful ride, its helping keep up Alaska Trails, and this event is always fun. As an added bonus this ride is being done with permission prior to the trail being 'officially' open to mountain biking.

How to find the organizer(s):
    "Blue Ford Escape with usually excessive Bike Racks (GOTTRL License Plate) and I look like my picture.".

Details:
    What: Russian Lakes Ride and Trail Maintenance
    When: June 7th, 2008 7:45. - NATIONAL TRAILS DAY
    Where: Meet at Carrs Huffman at 7:45 to depart no later than 08:15
    --In the COFFEE AISLE in front of the Coffee Shop & Bakery

We will then proceed to the Cooper Landing Post Office where we will pile in minimal vehicles to get up Snug Harbor Road.

We hope to be 'on the trail' by about 10-10:15am.

Note: This is ride is being done 'under the the banner' of the Arctic Bicycle Club Touring Division and has approved by the US Forest Service Seward Ranger District.

This event is also cross-posted with Meetup.com Adventurers group.

This is the third year in a row I have lead this event, we always have fun and get a lot accomplished. Each year we have cleared between 30-60 fallen trees from the trail.

If I recall correctly the ride will be around 24 miles of mostly flat and downhill with some intermediate rolling hills especially towards the end; then another couple of miles on the road back to the post office.

The trail is singletrack but the corridor in most places is wider. There is a few miles of riding on the road back to the car too which is included in this distance.

A Mountain Bike (you will be hating yourself on a hybrid), Helmet, Plenty of Water, Gloves, and food are the minimum required. Bear Spray and Bug Dope also recommended, a water filter may not be a bad idea either.

If you have any trail tools that you can *Safely* ride with please also bring those. This might include hand saws, clippers, machettes,hatches, brush axes, etc.

We have at least one B.O.B. trailers and a Chainsaw, the US Forest Service says they are going to also show with at least two additional chainsaws this year so that should expidite the process.

It would probably help to have one additional BOB for someone willing to carry chainsaw fuel (1 gal cans).

For those not making up the chainsaw crew (1 person operating and usually a few assisting) you can ride ahead, do general brushing, or debranch fallen trees to help out the chainsaw crews.

The speed of which we will move is always hard to tell ahead of time with unknown trail conditions and group make up and the fact we will be doing trail work, but plan for 3-8 hours.

Currently the weather is forecast to be in the 60s and partly cloudy, but always prepare for quickly changing Alaska Weather conditions. The Forest says they have already cleared about 5 miles from the Russian Lakes Campground but there is several avalanches in that area that have yet to melt. They haven't even explored the upper end yet.

Please come even if you just want to ride and push things out of the way or help out here and there too.

To be prepared for an out of town ride you should also have also have gotten in several miles of riding already this season, as well as few non-pavement miles already too. This is overall though a great first out of town mountain ride though for someone.

Questions, call or email Christopher. 929-7231

This is the post for last years ride: HERE.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    So Chris, this is not an overnite thing...just a one day thru ride?

ABC Rec Div / STA Trails

Yeppers its a 1 day thing

Yep.. this ride is just a 1 day straight through ride. We have always been able to get done in one day. One year I think a few of us we didn't get off the trail till about 8pm though.

I think some people went back the next day though to ride it again straight through with no trees or obstructions.

Christopher

ABC Rec Div / STA Trails

Anyone checkout russian lakes yet?

I heard of rumor that the trailhead is still under snow as of Saturday.. anyone able to confirm this? Has anyone ridden down it yet, if so what is it like?

Christopher

ABC Rec Div / STA Trails

We need a backup plan!

I just got off the phone with the head of the US Forest Service trail maintenance crew and they hiked back 2.5 miles today from the upper end and then 9 from the other end to check it out.

They said in the 2.5 miles there is continuously snow, sometimes over 2 feet deep and barely hikable.. it will likely not be bikable on the upper end for at least 2-3 more weeks they say. The lower 9 miles they say is bikable though and they cleared it today.

They suggested the following options for this Saturday:
    Resurrection out of Hope, they say it doesn't need a lot of work but figure we would at least be able to do some clearing and ride about 20-25 miles.
    Cresent Lake hasn't been cleared from the Bridge onward, but otherwise is clear. We could do that.

Johnson pass hasn't been touched yet as far as clearing on either side, we have that ride next weekend though but they said expect snow and no trail clearing yet.

Juneau Falls has been cleared up through to the cabins.
    Resurrection River has been cleared up to the first creek crossing out of Seward.

I forgot to ask about Lost Lake's condition, but will also be talking to him again in the morning.

Idea's, thoughts, suggestions?

Christopher

ABC Rec Div / STA Trails
    I did forget to of course add.. anyone want to be completely masocistic and do a hike and bike through the snow till we can ride?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I personally , am up for most anything . I just want to get out and do some trail riding/trail maintenance this weekend. Just let me know what you decide.

Also anyone looking to carpool send me a PM. Thanks Jeff

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    What about Gull Rock Trail?

ABC Rec Div / STA Trails

Ride Is Now North Resurrection

THE RIDE HAS BEEN CHANGED TO NORTH RESURRECTION!

Details:
    What: North Resurrection Trail and Trail Maintenance
    When: June 7th, 2008 7:45. - NATIONAL TRAILS DAY
    Where: Meet at Carrs Huffman at 7:45 to depart no later than 08:15
    --In the COFFEE AISLE in front of the Coffee Shop & Bakery

We will then proceed to the Resurrection North Trailhead near Mile 14 of the Hope Road.

We hope to be 'on the trail' by about 10-10:30am.

Note: This is ride is being done 'under the the banner' of the Arctic Bicycle Club Touring Division and has approved by the US Forest Service Seward Ranger District.

This event is also cross-posted on Arctic Bicycle Club page and other Biking Forums.

NOTE: Due to Trail Conditions of Russian Lakes Trail, this has been changed to North Resurrection Trail out of Hope. Expect to Ride to about East Creek, then turn back around to the Hope TH.

Ride length will be the same with about 30 total miles all on a mix of single and double track trails.

Please bring small hand tools for trail work you can ride *SAFELY* with (machete in sheath, hand saw, small or collapsible shovel), and then any standard supplies you might use for biking in the back country. This includes tubes, patch kit, tool, hand pump, food, water, and extra layers for possibly changing weather.

Because this is a year round trail used by snow machines as well, trail maintenance is expected to be fairly light for us to do.

Please come even if you just want to ride and push things out of the way or help out here and there too.

To be prepared for an out of town ride you should also have also have gotten in several miles of riding already this season, as well as few non-pavement miles already too. This is overall though a great first out of town mountain ride though for someone.

Questions, call or email Christopher. 929-7231

This is the post for last years ride: HERE.

Members who have read this thread: 0