2nd Annual Moose Drewl - 2008- Mtbr.com
    Grillin' & Chillin'

2nd Annual Moose Drewl - 2008

A big thanks to all the the Valley riders in the Palmer/Wasilla area for staging another great event. The weather gods were quite cooperative for this ride, which gave no advantage to any particular bicycle style or setup. Word was that it was blowing out there yesterday hard enough that some riders said that if it had been the same today they probably wouldn't have rode.

If I'm not mistaken I think I overheard someone say that the head count on participants was 39. That's awesome! It was warm enough that after swamping the first loop I had to strip down to the bare essentials for a winter ride. It felt good to be riding in just shorts and leg warmers with only a longsleeve jersey and wind vest on. I'm not sure what the order of finish was, but I do know that Thirstwork dominated the field, again, and cruised acrossed the finish line with a quite comfortable lead on the number 2 rider, which I believe was Tony. I'm guessing that Wildfire will soon have a posting of the times and places of all finishers

I spaced out and neglected to take photos at host Kevin's ranch for the BBQing and Fire Pit festivities. The huge Flintstone fire pit was amazing. Thanks Kevin for cooking and providing the food for the grill and stoking up the Flinstone Fire Pit.

Any way, here's a link to my Picasa site with photos of the riding portion. It was hard to participate in the ride and think about taking pictures too. I somehow managed to even get a shot of SkiMonkee's tail as I was about to overtake him.

http://picasaweb.google.com/speedsk8...MooseDrewl2008
    Grill Meister
    "There were never any good old days
    They are today, they are tomorrow
    "
    - Gogol Bordello

FatBike Fiend

Race Results

Advanced Racers (16 miles)

1. Greg Matyas 1:12:09
    2. Tony Berberich 1:26:47
    3. Ben Ball 1:28:17
    4. Mike Danz 1:29:21
    5. Tim Kelly 1:31:49
    6. Mark Gronewald 1:32:01
    7. Kevin Del Duca 1:32:31
    8. Ethan Kopacz 1:35:22
    9. Jeff Kellard 1:35:23
    10. Jeff Swanstrum 1:39:06
    11. Julie Berberich 1:41:12 1st Place Woman
    12. Brian Garcia 1:41:23
    13: Howell Powder 1:41:37
    14. Keri Dean 1:47:56 2nd Place Woman
    15. Danisa Rudolph 1:51:19 3rd Place Woman
    16. Phil Ehererman 1:58:17
    17. Darrin Mason 1:59:07

Beginner Racers 3.75 Miles

1. Jessica Schneider 0:26:22
    2. Wade Ericksen 0:29:03

Touring Class

20 Cyclists Completed

Huge thanks go out to all the folks that helped make this year's race a success! Many accolades go to Kevin and Susan for hosting the after race barbeque. And thanks to all the racers that attended. 39 people in a Valley winter event is pretty stunning.

Sounds like everyone loved the course and conditions were excellent. Hope to see everyone back next year.

That wraps up our Valley Mountain Bikers and Hikers Winter Race Series. Stay tuned for the Mooseberry Stampede XC at Crevasse Moraine and Kepler Bradley on August 9.

Hopefully somebody can post some race photos.
    Last edited by Wildfire; 03-03-2008 at 05:58 PM.
    Owner, Trailwerx Trails Contracting
    Palmer, Alaska
    www.trailwerx.com

Diaskeuast
    Thanks, Mark. It was a fun event for those of us back in the touring group, and it was nice to see some new terrain and new faces.
    Enjoying the meaningful pursuit of meaningless fun.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Was indeed a fun event ! Its always nice to see new scenery. Thanks Mark for putting it on, and thanks Kevin for the great after race BBQ. those were some tasty burgers.

Mar 2007

Horizontal

Sorry I missed the ride. A stomach bug wiped out my weekend. Broken Toe Joe.

Members who have read this thread: 0