29 and Wide- Mtbr.com

Thread: 29 and Wide

mtbr member

29 and Wide

I'm looking to the experts...a rim brake specific wheel that is 29" and wide wide wide. But for non-Pugsley-esque frame. I want to do a couple of winter events down here in Minnesota and want to get the most out of a pair of 2.5 tires on my custom 29er. Thanks for the advice!

JK
    http://heckofthenorth.blogspot.com

Wood chips are stupid

a couple

The two that I am aware of are the SnoCats and that unicycle guy...Kris Holm? There are probably a few more.Be sure you have the clearance in the stays before you buy. Also,your brake options may be limited. I ran Shimano STX(I think) v brakes with the arms switched around for tire clearance. Have fun!

akdeluxe
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Trust me,you don't want a big baby."

JT

mtbr member
    rim brakes in the snow???

Velocity now makes the Pacenti 35 (P35) for both 26" and 29"
    http://www.velocityusa.com/

is buachail foighneach me
    Speedway cycles Uma is the widest I know of. Mine measure in at 51mm outside to outside. If the temps are above 5 or so degrees Farenheit, the magura HS-33's work great. The reversible brackets make them easy to adjust for a pretty wide range of rim widths. Maguras will crush ice right off of rims. The only real downside is the tendancy of eavy snow to pack up on rim brakes.

mtbr member
    Sean, thanks for the advice. I appreciate it.
    Chameleoneel...no thanks on the attitude and useless advice. I don't need snarky opinions about something I did not even inquire about.
    That's all. Thanks.

It's All About We!
    Dec 2005
    I run SnowCats on my Atlantis. I've had to saw the front third/quarter of the brake pads off, then flip them around (the trailing edge of the pad is pointing forward now) so the rim/tire combo will fit. And, yeah...I sometimes get ice problems. But I never get going fast enough for it to be a problem. ;-)

Here are some photos:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/2872063...7609908249398/
    Kevin Turinsky
    RUSA RBA - Alaska
    www.rusa.org
    http://alaskarandonneurs.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Tarnac...great looking rig!
    I am in contact with Speedway.
    I am still confused about the availability of certain rims...Snowcats? I have no idea who sells them...or even if they are around.
    Thanks

It's All About We!
    Dec 2005
    Thanks, JK. It's pretty versitile, but it's no snowbike!

Anyway, stick w/ Greg at Speedway. I'm sure that if you gotta have SnowCats, he'll be able to get them, or something similar. Greg is good.

Keep rollin'!

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    29er SnowCat's with 2.55" WTB's WW's, they just don't float like a Endos do. )O:

Not even close to a fat bike, just 29 and wide. Go fat bike or go home!

I mainly use the snowcats for studs as they spread out the casing and level the tread so all studs touch the ice instead of the center set.

mtbr member
    What's with the attitude on this thread? I am not buying a fat bike for two events...at least not this year. So, no, I "won't go home"...wierd...I'm just trying to get the most out of the bike I have. Otherwise...thanks for the relevant leads. I appreciate it.

is buachail foighneach me
    I don't think Jordy meant that the way you took it. I think he was just being enthusiastic....

mtbr member
    Fair enough. Sorry for being cranky. Over and out. JK

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    My bad, simply saying its not a fat bike...never can be. I'd wish I had saved my pennies and just bought fat...

mtbr member
    Hey, thanks JordyB. Sorry man, bad night at work. I hear you on the fat bike. I think I am getting close to looking for one for next winter. In the mean while, I am curious about the differences between a wide rim vs. just wide (normal) tires (like the Racing Ralph).
    Thanks
    JK

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    FYI 2.4 Racing Ralph's on a 28mm wide Flow rim measure out to 2.4 on the casing. Same tires on the 50mm Uma rim measure out to 2.5 - not much difference. However, the tread profile is a bit flatter on the Uma which may (hopefully) make a difference in the snow and presumably one can safely run lower pressures on the wider rim. Still, not the width increase one might expect with the (much) wider rim. Above rims and tires are all 29 inch.

mtbr member
    That's really helpful info. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    For SnoCats go to Beaver Sports in Fairbanks. http://www.beaversports.com/ There has been some problems with getting these rims at times, I don't know how that situation is now. They should also have information on brakes. Ask for Chris or Jeff in the bike shop.

Trail conditons in Interior Alaska are perfect for SnoCats. Little snow, dry snow, heavily used well packed trails. I run 29" SnoCats SL's (with cut outs for reduced weight) and love them. The 29" 2.55 WTB WW's work ok, mostly they are the biggest 29" tire out there. t

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Speedway's rims

I spend a lot of time on 29er Snocats and they work just fine. But the rims/wheels built up at Speedway are much better quality for roughly the same price, and they're slightly wider. They were not available a few years ago when I built up my 'Cats' or I would have used them.

Pat

Members who have read this thread: 0