29" SnoCats- Mtbr.com

Thread: 29" SnoCats

mtbr member

29" SnoCats

I found some 29" snocats last spring and had them re-hubbed with a Dimension convertible front hub for use on my Sultan / F135. Now it's winter in Maine and I mounted up my Nokian 294 tires for the first ride ...... WTF, the beads of the Nokians will slip right over the sides of the rim when inflated! Have any of you winter bikers heard of this problem? The SnoCats have no J channel to lock the bead but when I mounted a WTB ExiWolf it seemed to seat much better than the Nokians. Anyone know if Nokian may have had a problem with slightly out of spec tires?
    Everybody dies, but not everyone lives

No, that's not phonetic
    My Nokian Extreme 296 in 29er size fit my 29er Stans Flow rims exactly the same as every other 29er tire I have mounted (Stouts, Rampages, Fire Pro, Bontrager Jones, WTB Exiwolf, etc etc). The Extreme 29er tires suck otherwise, but they mount fine.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member

Hmmmm

Must be the rim OD dimension. I'll just have to use my Laser Discs w the Nokians, don't look as trick as the SnoCats but a tire blown off the rim can sure ruin a ride. Thanks for the quick reply TS.

I'm from Utah
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    The Extreme 29er tires suck otherwise, but they mount fine.
    Glad I'm not the only one with this opinion.

I'm curious if there's any manufacturer that makes 29" studded mountain bike tires besides Nokian (I know there's a lot of 700 studded tires out there, but I was hoping for 2.1"s or wider.) I've owned the Gazza Extreme 294s for all of eight weeks now and am already missing 22 studs on the back tire and 12 on the front, plus a lot more pushed all the way in, only in the center where studs actually matter. I ride a lot of pavement in freeze/thaw conditions, and I bought the Nokians because I thought they could take a beating. But they've sustained a lot more wear and tear in eight weeks than some cheap 26" Kenda tires did in three seasons. I just can't fathom what all the hype is about.

War machine member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jilleo
    Glad I'm not the only one with this opinion.

I ride a lot of pavement in freeze/thaw conditions, and I bought the Nokians because I thought they could take a beating.
    The Nokians are built with a softer rubber compound so they're still compliant when the temp drops. At least, that's my understanding. If you're riding the conditions mentioned I can see where you may lose studs/rubber. Sucks, but there's no one tire great in all conditions as we know.

No, that's not phonetic
    I'm surprised you are having those issues, Jill. My Nokian 29ers are very durable (no studs lost, none getting pushed in, etc) even after many offroad miles on them on bare ground plus some pavement. The traction on ice compared to the 26" versions is just pathetic though. The Freddies Revenze in a 29er would be the shiz. You should see if you can get your tires warrantied because your issues sound very uncharacteristic. I have literally thousands of road miles on a few different flavors of studded Nokians and durability was never an issue. I have only lost studs when riding over rocks and roots offroad, and even then it was pretty minimal provided I gave the tires a good break-in.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Caveman
    yeah Jill, send that puppy back to Nokian.

I have the original 29" snowcats and they are a loose fit with most tires, but my 29" Extreme Nokian's fit just fine.

I know the quality was pretty inconsistent with Simon's rims, that's all I can say.

I think the 29er extremes are great, with the next best being the 240 stud 700c x 45c.. are you kidding?

I'm from Utah
    Yeah, there really aren't that many 29" studded tire options out there. Thinking I should have gone for the 45c. The trails around here are all snowed in anyway.

Seems strange that Nokian would manufacture tires so that they were compliant in extreme cold but crap in more "normal" temperatures. Only a small fraction of the customer base probably even rides when the temperature is below 15. Tires like that are most useful when the temperature is hovering around 30, and ice becomes really really slippery. In extreme cold, tire studs are almost superfluous, because ice at low temperatures is more sticky. Oh well. I guess I should break down and write a letter.

Anyway, sorry to hijack the Snowcat thread. From what I hear, those 29" rims have archival value and you could probably make good money on them on Craiglist.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Just picked up a new set of 29er snowcats and plan running my nokian 294s on them. They currently fit tight on my sun wheels and after about 100 miles, no studs missing, etc.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Kris Holm just said that he'd be releasing 47mm 700c rims. They'll probably be heavy and strong for unicycle use.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Yes he did! You think 800-900 grams a piece?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by JordyB
    Yes he did! You think 800-900 grams a piece?
    At least. He did put bigger cutouts on the 38mm rims for this year to reduce the weight. They are made to support the entire weight of the rider on one rim so they're going to be burly. I think they're fairly easy to drill out, but the 38mm had little need. These 47s will be sweet. Currently only 36h. I hope 32h for use as a front.

Here's the thread where he mentioned it.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=479496

mtbr member
    May 2008
    So I rode on some nokian 294s (26") for several years and never lost a stud. this is my first winter with new 29er nokians and there's maybe a half dozen missing already. this is commuting and errand running 7 days a weeks with both sets of studs in sometimes snowy, sometimes not snowy, anchorage.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Quote Originally Posted by dylankentch
    So I rode on some nokian 294s (26") for several years and never lost a stud. this is my first winter with new 29er nokians and there's maybe a half dozen missing already. this is commuting and errand running 7 days a weeks with both sets of studs in sometimes snowy, sometimes not snowy, anchorage.
    Dylan: Did you do the 30 mile set-up ride this fall on them? I got a small peice of paper with mine saying I needed to ride them on pavement nice and easy for 30 miles to set the studs. Just put on 20 more miles on my 29er 294s and still no missing studs. About 200 miles total now so far on Anchorage commuting. Sucks to hear reports of others will no so good luck. )O:

mtbr member
    May 2008
    yeah, they got enough pavement time to "set the studs" or whatever that means.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Update on my snowcats for the OP. I got everything installed and my nokian 294's seem to work great with no reports of the tire coming off the wheel. There is a small lip inside wheel. Nothing crazy but its there. I think pressure is around 30-35 psi with a clyde rider. Love how the wider wheel puts all of the studs to the ice and flattens the tread out.

Couple of pics:

mtbr member
    MTBx, have you consider throwing on some Mtn.King 2.4" tyres? They have some pretty decently spaced and deep enough knobs and width to work as a good snow tyre, or at least that's what I would think - no snow here
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    LyNx, I didn't know Conti made the 29" MK tire in 2.4 but the Racing Ralph 2.4 comes in pretty wide. I think my initial problem may have been that the Nokian was not centered around the wheel when I inflated it. It still seems a little "loose" on the rim but I'm going to try re-mounting with attention to the bead circumferential markings being equidistant before final inflation. Although the tolerance is still sloppy, I'm thinking I can still use this setup.

BTW LyNx, it was -40F here this morning. I tried riding last Sunday in a snow storm at -7 and it was just too cold. I like it around 15 or 20, the snow is perfect at that temp.

Members who have read this thread: 0