24 Hours of Light- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Idea! 24 Hours of Light

Anyone up for a road trip to Whitehorse over Solstice Weekend? A friend of mine is looking for people to go do "24 Hours of Light!" http://www.24hoursoflight.com/

Beware of Doggerel

Hmm I might be interested

I have to check to see what kind of obligations and plans I have for that weekend, but a 24hr race might be fun, and I can't make it to the Kincaid race.

Adam
    I wanna say I'm sorry for stuff I haven't done yet, things will shortly get completely out of hand --T.M.G.

@adelorenzo
    I'll be there... But then again, I live here... Send me an e-mail if you need any local info, [email protected]. Hope to see some people from this forum at the event, it's wicked fun.

mtbr member
    Looks like a good event. Price is right. Anthony, what is the course like? How much singletrack, climbing, hike-a-bike? Pretty muddy? How long is a lap?

@adelorenzo
    The loop is 12.5 km or so, with a bit less than 300 m total climbing.

The course is mostly on ski trails that are very hard packed. You start out with a lot of climbing in the beginning then you hit a nice ~3km singletrack section that follows along a ridgeline, and then finish out on ski trails again. No steep or technical descents, although if you're moving fast some of the downhill curves can be loose and tricky.

It's dry as a bone unless it rains, chances are you'll be riding in a lot of dust. Some roots and rocks, mostly in the singletrack section. There are a couple short, steep climbs that get some people walking but nothing that isn't rideable.

The fastest riders do the loop in 35 minutes or so. Us recreational types are usually in the 50-60 minute range. I have no idea what a competitive result looks like, we ride a team of 8 and mostly hang out and drink beer. Even then, we got 21 laps in last year. I think the best solo effort to date is something like 23-34 laps, but I don't really know.

Here is a link to a Google Earth file of the route: http://www.delorenzo.ca/kml/24hoursoflight.kml

It will be changing a bit this year due to some development in the area, but should be mostly the same.

For your $60 bucks you get your camping, some grub on Saturday night and there is normally a bunch of swag and prizes for everyone.

Regards,
    Anthony

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam
    I have to check to see what kind of obligations and plans I have for that weekend, but a 24hr race might be fun, and I can't make it to the Kincaid race.

Adam
    The Kincaid race is the same weekend so if you can't make it there it might be hard to make it to Whitehorse!

Feb 2007
    Anyone done Kincaid and 24 hours of Light? if so, which would you reccomend. I'm planning to do one or the other but haven't decided yet. I'll be coming from Juneau so cost and travel time will be about the same for either one. it's actually faster to get from here to anchorage as i would be flying to anchorage and ferry/driving to whitehorse, but a little cheaper to get to whitehorse.

Beware of Doggerel
    Quote Originally Posted by daveIT
    The Kincaid race is the same weekend so if you can't make it there it might be hard to make it to Whitehorse!
    Really? Oops, I'm not in charge of my own life, ya know. I guess I can't make either one, I think Jo-Ann and I have plans or something....

Adam
    I wanna say I'm sorry for stuff I haven't done yet, things will shortly get completely out of hand --T.M.G.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I am very interested in going. After 69 solo laps on the Kincaid course I am ready to be done with that race for a little while. Just let me know when and where and you can count me in.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Could someone please respond to this thred. Queen Bee if you are out there drop me a line or if someone else could PM me some contact info. I live down here in Seward and feel out of the loop but really want to go to Whithorse. I need to know soon because I have just been invited to the Kluane Chilkat Relay the week before and need to finalize plans.

Jul 2006
    Chuck go ahead and send me your contact info via a pm and I will pass it along.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I can't PM you Bubba it is telling me that your mailbox is full.

mtbr member
    I highly recommend the 24 Hours of Light. I did it twice solo in 2002 and 2004, and have to say it is one of the coolest races out there (a buddy and I came up from Colorado). The course is sweet, the people are nuts (in a good way), and of course there are the naked double laps. Yukon chicks rock!

@adelorenzo
    Last year the naked double laps were out.... It's apparently a 'family event' now. I believe that the "vomit comet" will be back though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by anthony.delorenzo
    Last year the naked double laps were out.... It's apparently a 'family event' now. I believe that the "vomit comet" will be back though.
    WHAT?!?! Corporate sell-out! That only sounds like something us U.S. folks would do.

Here are a few appropriate photos from Derek Crowe and and article from the local paper. The writing is really funny - take time to read it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Anyone looking for a teamate (or possibly 2) for this? I REALLY want to go but I'm not so interested in riding it solo. I'd prefer a 4-person team or even 8 but if needed could probably survive a 2-person team. Survive being the operative word there. Even if you're in the same boat (1 rider, no team), let me know and maybe we could form a misfit team.

I'm from Utah
    SkiMonkee

I'm going to be at 24 Hours of Light "crewing" for a solo rider. I might be interested in joining a team if you're not too bent on being competetive. I'd defintely be the weak link, but I don't mind doing night laps (I don't mind doing naked laps, either. Too bad about the "family event" status.)

Send me a message if you'd be interested in the whole Misfit team idea ... I figure if I'm going to be there anyway, it beats mixing up Perpetuem.

i drink shower water
    im gonna be there as well. i already got saturday off work so i can be there all weekend. im excited.
    Prison is hard, everything else is easy

@adelorenzo

Teammates

SkiMonkee, Jill and any others looking for a "fun" team:

I'm still pulling together our team of 8 so if any of you want to hitch your wagon onto team "Hoss Power" let me know in e-mail: [email protected]

We'll be doing a western theme for our team this year so you'll need to bring your cowboy hats and whatever else you've got.

We are 100% non-competitive team so you need to be OK with this. We try to keep a rider going all 24 hours but that is about it. Usually when someone finishes their lap they have to go over to camp and get someone's butt out of their lawnchair to ride the next one.

Also, if anyone in the forum is riding Kluane-Chilkat bike relay this weekend keep your eyes peeled for me and say hi. I'm not riding, just crewing for a couple of teams, but I might have my MTB with me in Haines.

Regards,
    Anthony

Caveman
    thanks for posting that newspaper article, it totally cracked me up big time...

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Ride Needed

I really really want to go to this event but it is not feasable for me to drive by myself. So at this point I am begging for a ride. I will pay for my share of the gas and will even ride in the trunk if necessary.

PLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEEE!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Chuck, check your e-mail....you're in!

@adelorenzo
    Entry fee: $60
    Cowbell: $20
    Beer: $30
    New front rim and spokes: $70

2007 24 Hours of Light: Priceless

Lots of photos here.

@adelorenzo

Beer helmet!

OK, I had to post this one.

I'm from Utah

Looking good, Anthony

After witnessing the joys of the Yukon Gold hydration helmet, mounting Donkey, heavy metal belt buckles, front-rim tacos, midnight pizza, the "Vomit Comet," Andrew's literal vomit comet, climbing doubletrack with 10 inches of travel, and the endless latte ... I'm never entering another 24-hour race solo again. 24 hours of light is much too cool to spend the entire time on a mountain bike.

It was great to meet all you crazy mountain bikers in Whitehorse, and Chuck, Brian and Julie, too. Hope to see you next year!

A few of my photos:

Feb 2007
    This event rocked... even though I missed most of the fun while riding my bike the whole time. It was still fun to roll through the party every 50 minutes or so. Thanks to everyone in Whitehorse who made this such a fun weekend for jill and i. you guys rule. we'll be back soon.
    geoff

Members who have read this thread: 0