24 hours of kincaid questions- Mtbr.com

Jan 2008

24 hours of kincaid questions

I'm wanting to do the race this year and i have a few questions.

i heard rumors that's its on the hillside this year, anyone know if this is true?

what is the entry fee?

what is the deadline for entry?

what equipment is required for the race? (i assume headlight and helmet minimum)

are there any rules on your cycle? (can you have a backup?)

if you can point me to a site with some info it would be GREATLY appercaited. thanks!

also, where can i sign up?

Diaskeuast
    Yes, it's moving to the Hillside this year. Good thing, too, because all the work they did on the Nordic trails last summer screwed up portions of the old course.

Thirstywork has taken over responsibilities for the race, and I'm sure he'll be answering your other questions as things fall into place.
    Enjoying the meaningful pursuit of meaningless fun.

Fatback
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruff
    I'm wanting to do the race this year and i have a few questions.

i heard rumors that's its on the hillside this year, anyone know if this is true?

what is the entry fee?

what is the deadline for entry?

what equipment is required for the race? (i assume headlight and helmet minimum)

are there any rules on your cycle? (can you have a backup?)

if you can point me to a site with some info it would be GREATLY appercaited. thanks!

also, where can i sign up?
    Yes, it is true that the 24hour race will move to Hillside this year. Entry fee is yet to be determined. Helmets are required, but lights are not. It is wise to bring one, but not always needed. You can have back up bikes. Entry forms will be available at all shops before long. I will post more details soon.
    Speedway Cycles owner http://fatbackbikes.com

Jan 2008
    Thanks.

anyone have any advice on foods to bring? items on my list thus far are lots of bananas, and many high fat high protein foods.

Fatback
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruff
    Thanks.

anyone have any advice on foods to bring? items on my list thus far are lots of bananas, and many high fat high protein foods.

Leave the sardines at home. Eat whatever you've been eating in your training, just eat. Don't rely on gels and drinks to get you through. As long as it stays down and doesn't make you sick, anything goes. Pizza, burritos, chips, crackers etc...

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    2 Espresso Gu packets + 2 bottles of Deschutes Black Butte Porter and as many McDonalds cheeseburgers as you can stomach will net you a sub hour lap (on the old course).

BTW, the porta-pottys get destroyed, so don't eat anything that will require you to make laps to that hell hole.

We want... a shrubbery!
    Hmmm -- Interested in this as well, but don't cut the entry deadline off too early, I likely won't know if I can do this until about a month out because of work.
    waaahoooooooooooooooooo

Calvin : Ahhh, another bowl of Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs! The second bowl is always the best! The pleasure of my first bowl is diminished by the anticipation of future bowls and by the end of my third bowl, I usually feel sick.
    Hobbes : Maybe you shouldn't use chocolate milk.
    Calvin : I tried Cola, but the bubbles went up my nose.

MTB aficionado
    Jan 2004

Finally a hillside 24 hour race....

Quote Originally Posted by thirstywork
    Yes, it is true that the 24hour race will move to Hillside this year. Entry fee is yet to be determined. Helmets are required, but lights are not. It is wise to bring one, but not always needed. You can have back up bikes. Entry forms will be available at all shops before long. I will post more details soon.
    I will be entering this year as it should be far more entertaining to race. It is my hope that that the course dishes out some serious brutality.... rooty singletrack, technical decents, will-killing up-hill grinds..... very little double track in and around the start-finish lines only.

I hope single-track will be the theme for this years 24-hour race. The hill-side could provide for an "epic" race to remember. The more brutal the better.

Can't wait to see the proposed course.

I've been dreaming of a course.... it would go something like this:

Start/Finish = Hill-top parking area
    1- Multi Purpose to Spencer loop short way taking the two little single track cut-offs to Llama Trail
    2- Up lower Llama then up upper Llama to Powerline.
    3- Then down Gorge trail onto Spencer Wall.
    4- Decend Spencer loop to the multi purpose bridge
    5- Cross Multi-purpose to S and N Biv trail head.
    6- Take immediate left on N Biv trail take and No-name social trails to Ski Jouring trails
    7- Link them back to Moose Ridge Trail proper (via Tank Trail) and ride Bog trail around Bog lake
    8- Hook up with dog mushing trail that takes you under Campbell airstrip road to dog mushing bridge.
    9- Hook a left after dog mushing bridge onto Salmon Run nature trail.
    10- Dump out on Tour of Anchorage and head west to Blue Dot.
    11- Take Blue Dot (across the foot Bridge) all the way to Moose Track trail
    12- Take Moose Track to Lore Road Trail then back to Tour of Anch trail.
    13- Up Tour of Anch trail then left on Speedway Single Track.
    14- Turn right on Moose meadow to Black Bear.
    15- Up Black bear to Ridge loop then to Ricther loop
    16- dump out onto Multipurpose to Start / Finish

That would be one hellva Lap.

That should separate the wheat from the chaff and make for a race worth remembering.

Regards,

EndUser
    Last edited by EndUser; 04-09-2008 at 02:49 PM.
    My advice and $3 will buy you nothing more than a tunafish sandwich

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

New question here. all by myself

as a solo racer are you required a "pit crew" or anything or can I just show up with my bike and race?

Fatback
    Quote Originally Posted by leebikes
    as a solo racer are you required a "pit crew" or anything or can I just show up with my bike and race?
    Having a pit crew is your choice. Not a bad idea, but not mandatory either. Still finalizing details of the course. The Muni has been slow giving permits.

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    You'll need a pit crew...you might be too tired and incoherent to open your own beer and that can lead to a devastating calorie deficiency.

Seriously though...it's good to have people cheering you on and most people there will be doing that...especially for the masochistic solo racers.

Oct 2005
    Hey Thirsty-you need to bring back the hillside time trial! that race is vintage, total blast. at least once or twice per season.

We want... a shrubbery!
    thirstywork, do you know about when this race will be?
    waaahoooooooooooooooooo

Calvin : Ahhh, another bowl of Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs! The second bowl is always the best! The pleasure of my first bowl is diminished by the anticipation of future bowls and by the end of my third bowl, I usually feel sick.
    Hobbes : Maybe you shouldn't use chocolate milk.
    Calvin : I tried Cola, but the bubbles went up my nose.

mtbr member
    When is this race going to happen? I will be living with my parents in Chugiak this summer and am bringing my bike up, but I wont be coming up until June.

I saw you said you can register at any of the bike shops is it possible for me to do this online?

Fatback
    Quote Originally Posted by Manimal
    When is this race going to happen? I will be living with my parents in Chugiak this summer and am bringing my bike up, but I wont be coming up until June.

I saw you said you can register at any of the bike shops is it possible for me to do this online?
    The race will be June 28th and 29th. I can fax you an entry form. PM me with your info.

Members who have read this thread: 0