2016 cannondale habit 4- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2017

2016 cannondale habit 4

I am looking at a 2016 habit 4. So I was wondering what everyone thought of the bike, and if it is a good trail bike? And was concerned on the maintenance for it, mainly the lefty fork? Is it something that only a dealer can do? Or is it something that someone with basic mechanical skills can do? And is there any other things besides lefty fork that could be a issue to rebuild?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Elitest thrill junkie
    Typically, it's more of a hassle to deal with proprietary parts, which the Lefty fork is. It's not inherently bad, but there's less support for these. A lot of the shops are very familiar with RS and Fox and can do simple seal jobs or cartridge bleeds, which is much less likely with Cdale and the Lefty. When I worked for a shop we had to go to the local Cdale shop to get specific Lefty stuff or just have that shop work on it for the customer. Now, if you have basic mechanical skills and reach out to the internet, you can probably do just about anything. I'm not aware of any special tools that are necessary, but that's always a possible issue. Usually, most people leave the maintenance and work on things like the Lefty to dealers.

Nothing inherently wrong with this bike by just looking at it, probably has decent pedaling characteristics due to being a single pivot without any ridiculousness and possibly decent bump absorption, but we'd have to compare the shock tune and the leverage ratio to know for sure.

In summary, probably a decent bike. The Lefty is a "thing", some people hate it and some people are alright with it. You can always get a different fork, although you'd need to rebuild your wheel or get a new one. The only way I'd consider a lefty is for a fat-bike if they made a special version for it. The lubrication of the needle bearings is one of the issues that requires maintenance and working on the fork can put you out of riding for several weeks if you have to wait for parts. Still, if you make sure it sees service and treat it well, it should work just fine.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.