2014 Spring Trail Condition Thread- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007

2014 Spring Trail Condition Thread

Figured with the recent questions that it made sense to start a thread to update with trail conditions as things dry out. If you are out and about and find trails that are either good to ride or not good, post here and let others know. Maybe by providing some good options of trails ready to go, people can satisfy their need to get on the dirt without trashing the trails that aren't ready yet.

Tour trail from Ballfields (bottom of the Service Hill) to the wood bridge is all good to ride. Lore Road trail from Tour through Smokejumper and to the Tour trail is good to ride. Moose Meadow is good, but watch for a few soft spots that are avoidable. Rover's Run is not ready for bikes yet, but hopefully another week will dry a lot of that out.

Bikes are good
    Spencers loop
    Brown bear
    not black bear though
    "Having lack of self-preservation makes biking more fun."

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Here is my latest assessment of Kincaid:

- Sandbox to C$ Money Express to Bluff Trail: Clear and dry

- Lee's Train: Shaded and wet. Very ruttable. Took one look from the top and turned around. DO NOT RIDE!

- QFB: Same as Lee's Train

- Good Greeff: Straight-away jump line, beginning of the climb is clear. Top section of the climb has mud in the shaded section - Please walk your bike around

-Mighty bike: Pretty good all the way through

-Bolling Alley (North Side): OK, but still a lot of low spots with mud. I did a lot of walking around soupy/muddy berms. The section right near Tower Power is still a mess and should be avoided.

- Toilet Bowl: Good and Tacky - Not rutting out. One rutted spot in front of the jump at the bottom. Needs repaired (on my list...)

- Bolling Alley (South Side): Sugar Lumps is bomber. Haven't seen the remainder that connects back to mighty bikes yet.

- Kitchen Sink: No Report but I imagine its muddy due to the low points and shade. Not enough wind and heat in that area.

- Tower Power: No Report.

- Kincaid Phase 2 Trails: No Report. Still Closed!!
    -Ride it like you stole it

mtbr member
    May 2010
    How dare you wag your finger at me.

mtbr member
    borrowed from STA FB...Alaska Outdoor Reports Hillside-Queen Bee has a bear killed moose just off trail and a lot of bear activity is evident.
    If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by damnitman View Post
    borrowed from STA FB...Alaska Outdoor Reports Hillside-Queen Bee has a bear killed moose just off trail and a lot of bear activity is evident.
    They have the 2nd half of Spencer "closed" with barricades and signs just past the S-turns cutoff.

mtbr member
    Did some Mat su greenbelt trails yesterday - I had my fat tire bike, boyfriend had regular 29er. Both were great. We started out at the Matanuska Lake Trailhead; did Long Lake Loop, around UAF farm, Picnic Table Singletrack, Long Lake Connector, Mooseberry Mesa and Moose Poop Loop, Landfill trail, down on the Powerline and passed UAF Experiment Farm and back down the the trailhead. Almost everything was dry and great riding. Picnic table and some trails by Mat lake were 100% dry. Mooseberry and Moose Poop were almost completely dry, just a little soft on the corners but not rutty. Some of the ski trails had rutty/muddy parts but it was really easy to go around them to avoid damaging them further. The connector between the landfill and powerline trail was super muddy and churned up from bikes - we ended up walking on the side of the trail for most of it. If you go, just watch out for muddy areas and avoid them.

Another resource for trail conditions is Alaska Outdoor Reports, on facebook or Alaska Outdoor Reports.

Bikes are good
    Rode at Kincaid today. From the Jodphur loop, the trail heading away from the motorcycle track (?) to the main road through the park. Great. Middle earth all the way around to the candy mountain/old school trail and then one I haven't been on until today that pops out on the coastal trail way below was all good. Rode the bluff trail back because I was thinking the STA trails back weren't good yet. No idea on those though.

That new piece of trail over there is pretty sweet. Way to go STA.!!!!

Elitest thrill junkie
    It's still Middle Earth if it's the one that pops you out on the Coastal trail afaik.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Middle earth was mostly dry.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    The only wet spot I found was crossing a ski trail, it was the ski trail that was wet and soft. There was one spot on middle earth that was a little greasy that I walked around. BTW who is putting up the tape blocking the trails? I came to the end of two different trails and had to duck under flagging tape stretched across the trail.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by chugachjed View Post
    .... BTW who is putting up the tape blocking the trails? I came to the end of two different trails and had to duck under flagging tape stretched across the trail.
    I thought it was finish line tape - I have been blowing through it like I just one a world cup race!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by chugachjed View Post
    The only wet spot I found was crossing a ski trail, it was the ski trail that was wet and soft. There was one spot on middle earth that was a little greasy that I walked around. BTW who is putting up the tape blocking the trails? I came to the end of two different trails and had to duck under flagging tape stretched across the trail.
    It depends on where it is at. Last I heard, of the new STA trails, only Middle Earth is open, so if it is tape blocking off the other trails along there it is because those trails are not yet open (not because of spring, just not yet okay to use yet according to the city).

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Middle earth had tape across it. The closed trails have this orange plastic mesh across.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I believe STA was taping trails that weren't ready due to sloppy conditions. Kitchen Sink had tape across it at the Jodphur Lot 1.5-2 weeks ago and (after walking it) I saw that it was certainly a mess. 4-5 days ago the tape was gone. Whether it was removed by STA or someone else I am not sure.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Any hillside reports other than bears?

mtbr member
    From STA Facebook page: "Kincaid trails are dry.

Trails that remain closed for construction are Hanging Chad, Evolution, Candy Mountain, and Northwest Passage. Please keep off these trails until construction is completed this June.

Also, this is moose calving season. Cows will defend their young aggressively."

Can't wait to get out!

Bikes are good
    Yeah. Middle earth, bolling alley, everything is good that isn't still being constructed.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I ran into a black bear who was climbing down a tree right near the entrance of Northwest Passage earlier this evening. You could hear the claws crunching into the tree. On Tuesday there were multiple piles of scat in the area so that bear is hanging out. Also there has been a moose laying across the trail at the bottom the C$ Express hill the past two evenings I am sure it will be there tomorrow also. Be aware and safe!

Bikes are good
    I saw that moose two days ago in that same spot. Maybe he's dying? Then there will be a bear in the area.

Rut roh

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Crevasse-Moraine in Palmer is drying up, but I still had to gently walk thru some areas of the main loops were it dipped down, I'd probably wait another week for the north western most loops. The trails leading over to the long lake connector were just fine though.

Moose Poop Loop and Mooseberry Mesa were perfect!

Here is a vid from my ride through last night: 20140513 BIKE RIDE CREVASSE MORAINE - YouTube

Here is a link that goes straight to the part where I went over the handlebars: 20140513 BIKE RIDE CREVASSE MORAINE - YouTube

I think it's time to upgrade my brakes.

mtbr member

Blueberry Pancake is dry and I finished clearing all of the deadfall today. If your hitting up winner creek it's a fun one.

Sent from headquarters.
    To prepare for a race there is nothing better than a good pheasant, some champagne and a woman.

Bikes are good
    Dome Trail is good. I am planning a chainsaw walk the next week or so. Will follow up with some tread smoothing and brush clearing in June.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bigskyguy View Post
    Blueberry Pancake is dry and I finished clearing all of the deadfall today. If your hitting up winner creek it's a fun one.

Sent from headquarters.

Is there fees to ride these trails in Alyeska? I'm just a little confused to what is being charged over there?

mtbr member

Sycoa, there are no fees to ride these particular trails here at the resort. The fees are only if you ride the chairlift or tram. The resort will open for DH lift access biking on June 27. Blueberry pancake and winner creek are all lower mountain XC type trails that are free to ride whenever they are deemed open and rideable by the resort and Girdwood trails committee. If you have trouble finding any of the trails drop me a message. I'm on the mtn every day except Monday/Tuesday.

Sent from headquarters.
    To prepare for a race there is nothing better than a good pheasant, some champagne and a woman.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Attempted glen alps to Elmore ball fields last night. Bring your fatbike, upper part is still muddy with mandatory walking sections. Also a few of the boards in the boardwalk section are loose that weren't last year. Hillside sta was pretty good with a few soft spots, fine for fatbikes. Lower hillside I got totally lost after brown bear- normally I turn left after brown bear and ride a zig zag of backwoods trails straight to Elmore, but they are way harder to find in the summer; some kind soul has been chainsaw clearing deadfall and the trail is obvious enough in those spots but immediately after crossing the first marsh/meadow all I could see was downed trees in every direction with no clear trail so I doubled back to black bear.

Bikes are good
    A buddy and I went up the dome this morning with shovels and bow saws. Spent 6 hours in total repairing tread that the Knoya ridge runner people destroyed last year, and sawing trees out of the way. One of them we had to make a ride around as it was too dangerous to stand under. Also, a tree that has been down near the top was left because we were tired and you can still ride that section anyway. Trail is in the best shape its been in for a couple summers.

To play it safe, obtain a pass for JBER here:
    https://jber.isportsman.net/ascis/us...istration.aspx

I have a picture of my pass on my phone, and still haven't bumped into an MP in years and I'm back there every day. Should have the pass and double check to make sure they aren't doing a helicopter thing up

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Have not seen much posted about STA Hillside trails except for the bear warning above. No tape anywhere (assuming none at start of drone lane either) so I rode everything today except for drone lane and it is dry except for the usual mud hole after the intersection of Hive and Upper Llama that never really seems to dry completely. Did not see any bear activity but warning signs on both ends of connector trail toward the bottom of queen bee.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Might be old news, but Johnson Pass from the North trailhead to about 5mi in is mostly dry. At about 5mi, there was a bit of snow and a soupy patch that could be walked around.

I turned around just after that (I was out of time). I'd love to hear from someone else how the rest of it looks, though.

In other news, holy crap that is a beautiful ride.

My Sunday lunch spot by paynetc, on Flickr

Elitest thrill junkie
    We turned around at 8.7 miles on Johnson from the South trailhead, but not because of snow. Was pretty dry, no indication that conditions were going to get worse at that distance.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Johnson Pass is awesome from south trail head to lake. We camped overnight and rode back (much more fun going North to South).

Has anybody been on Lost Lake Trail yet? I would like to assume/hope that it's about the same as Johnson Pass but I may be wrong.

Elitest thrill junkie
    No, Spencer tried to ride that and only got about 3 miles in before hitting snow. I heard the lake is still frozen over. I don't think it's anything like Johnson Pass.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I hiked lost lake from seward, definitely not ready yet. Lots of dry trail down low but lots of snow too.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    what was the deepest snow you encountered?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Hip deep. Didn't make it all the way to the lake.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    There's no way. I think you're trying to scare people off your favorite trail

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Go for it and see if I'm lying. Why would I try to scare people off a hardly used (at this point in the year) trail that I can't even ride because I'm too damn busy fishing? I couldn't make it to the lake and I definitely sank hip deep in rotten snow when I tried. I heard the primrose side is more passable though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sushi cowboy View Post
    There's no way. I think you're trying to scare people off your favorite trail
    Why do you say that? Lost Lake Trail goes up to a much higher elevation than Johnson Pass. There are also a lot of pretty protected sections along that climb from the Seward side that don't get a lot of sun at any point of the year. There is often snow well into mid to late June up there, if not much later in the year, so no surprise at all to have deep snow this time of year even on a "dry" and warm year like this.
    Last edited by anchskier; 05-23-2014 at 03:35 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Kincaid moose update, ran into a cow and calf on the southern portion of Bolling alley today about 1 pm, the calf lay down about 5 yds off the trail with Moma standing over. We turned around hopped on a ski trl and went around and got back on the Alley.

Talked to the staff in the chalet to see if there had been any nasty moose encounters like past yrs and they said No. So don't be the first! Enjoy, the trls are in great shape.

Bikes are good
    Chugach Jed is actually a garden gnome, and so hip deep snow isn't really that deep for him. It must've taken hours for you to get out of that.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Elfbkr50 View Post
    Chugach Jed is actually a garden gnome, and so hip deep snow isn't really that deep for him. It must've taken hours for you to get out of that.
    Worlds tallest garden gnome 187 cm tall.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Got 15 miles into Resurrection from Hope and had to turn around due to choking smoke. Started out pretty clear, but in about 20 minutes (around 1:30-2pm) or so it went from clear to "no possible way to continue". Hikers were turned around and heading back out the same way. No snow issues. I was past east creek about to start heading up the final valley to the pass, but man, the smoke just "exploded" into the valley and socked in everything.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Russian Lakes-

Some serious trail maintenance has been done to the trail in the past year/weeks. Had one tree we had to walk over. The trail riding great, just a few soft spots and some willow that has been trying to grow over the trail. The brush is low and now is the time to go and ride Russian Lakes before the cow parsnip becomes 8 feet tall.

semi-rad
    Jun 2014
    Lost Lake Trail - biked from the Seward side to the cabin, then to the lake this weekend 6/7-8. No snow and only a couple small mud patches.

Great ride and trail - we might try and downhill the winter trail next time for a little more excitement! Careful not to shred your tire though, one in our group had three pinch flats on his rear wheel, the last of which split his tire! Plenty of sharp rocks, though we found out he was running a pretty thin racing tire.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Power line pass-

Still snow at the top. You can make it almost to the pass, but there is one section of snow just before you get there. It was on a very exposed area and decided to turn around.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2014 Spring Trail Condition Thread-img_20140611_195337_658.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2011

Power Line

Quote Originally Posted by getoutnride View Post
    Power line pass-

Still snow at the top. You can make it almost to the pass, but there is one section of snow just before you get there. It was on a very exposed area and decided to turn around.
    Last week's snow was a set back. The real obstacle is a steep snow field that you have to traverse about a half mile down on the Indian side. Another week or two without more new snow and it should melt out.