1st Annual Blueberry Open at Alyeska Resort- Mtbr.com

Jul 2008

1st Annual Blueberry Open at Alyeska Resort

Announcing the first running of the Blueberry Open race at Alyeska Resort.

Here is the skinny so far:

Who: Alyeska Resort

What: A race down the Blueberry Pancake Trail

When: August 22nd

Where: Umm, Blueberry Trail at Alyeska

How: Riders will register the morning of the race, and be given a lift ticket. You will have 4 hours of practice time prior to the race. During this time, riders will be using chair 7 to get up the mountain. This will be a timed event, with one rider on course at a time. Race classes will be as follows: Men/Women; Youth (under 16), Beginner, and Open.

More info: If you are unfamiliar with the Blueberry Pancake trail, head out to Alyeska and ride it (contrary to some things I have heard, it is in fact free; and no, it is not a "downhill" trail, though it does follow a descending path.)

Check out www.alyeskaresort.com for information to come. I will also be posting on this board.

Sep 2009
    What is a good all-inclusive resort in the Carribean? My grandmother is taking my boyfriend and I on a trip as a gift, I need to find a resort that is elegant and beautiful (not old like some of the beaches resorts) I want one that includes many different activities for my active boyfriend and has lots of selection for food. Something reccomended for young adults with stuff to do but romantic at the same time. Anyone stayed at my dream resort? There is pretty much no price limit.

mtbr member

Glad you asked

Quote Originally Posted by jamini
    What is a good all-inclusive resort in the Carribean? My grandmother is taking my boyfriend and I on a trip as a gift, I need to find a resort that is elegant and beautiful (not old like some of the beaches resorts) I want one that includes many different activities for my active boyfriend and has lots of selection for food. Something reccomended for young adults with stuff to do but romantic at the same time. Anyone stayed at my dream resort? There is pretty much no price limit.
    Ah, what?

Okay, I've stayed at your dream resort; it's easy. Drive south from Anchorage, Alaska about 38 miles to Alyeska Resort. It's elegant, beautiful and grandmother-friendly. There are many great activities to do, parasailing, hiking, helicopter-sightseeing, and best of all biking. Selections for food are equally numerous; there's the Bake Shop, Hossenfeffers (or is it Eidelweiss? No, it's Jack Sprat, my apologies), the Pond Cafe at the hotel for a great al fresca (no relation) breakfast over the 'pond', and Kobiachi's (or something like that) for Teppanyaki and sushi (they might not do sushi anymore, come to think about it). At the top of the mountain, just a short tram-ride up, is the Seven Glaciers Restaurant. Upscale, delicious and hosting breathtaking views and a setting which is unparalleled. If you're in the mood for a little Cajun flavor, you can head over to the Double Musky; the steak with peppercorn rue is, I'm told, world famous. Also, on Crow Creek Mine road is Maxine's which has a great modern, Mediterranean feel. Chef Robert (he's our age), was raised in a kabbutz (sp?) in Israel, which is kind of like a Middle-Eastern hippy commune, but less dirty and not necessarily 'anti-government'. To cap off the list of 'food selections', you can't miss Chair 5 for great pizza, beer and even gourmet food. The place has a friendly, comfortable feel that reflects the personality of the people and unique culture of Girdwood.

For romance, Girdwood has no equal, believe me. And as far as the pricetag goes, it won't break Meemaw's bank. Whoop, that sounds weird, sorry. Just to clarify: your granny can't pay for any romance while in Girdwood, as far as I know. I just meant that the setting for romance is unparalleled. You'll have to bring your own Romeos.

Bicycling was mentioned earlier and the significance of such bares repeating; on August 22nd there will be a race down Blueberry Pancake trail in Girdwood. Your grandma will be able to ride Chair 7 up and practice riding down for four hours before the race so she can get to know the trail. Here's the tricky part: this race occurs in the past, so you'll have to reboard your spaceship, travel back in time, then follow the directions as outlined above (and (not to be a spoiler, but) your grandma doesn't win).

That's the only resort I know about in the Caribbean. Hope this helps.

Diaskeuast
    Quote Originally Posted by jamini
    What is a good all-inclusive resort in the Carribean? My grandmother is taking my boyfriend and I on a trip ...
    Go to one of those clothing-optional resorts, so you and granny can doff the tops and huck off the balcony into the pool while lettin' the twins catch some air.

Don't forget to wear a helmet.
    Enjoying the meaningful pursuit of meaningless fun.

Members who have read this thread: 0