16 Mile (Hatchers Pass) Downhill Shuttles and GPRA Trails- Mtbr.com
    Elitest thrill junkie

16 Mile (Hatchers Pass) Downhill Shuttles and GPRA Trails

xpost from meetup:

Ride the 16 Mile Downhill Trail via shuttle-runs for a few hours, like maybe till noon, then break and ride some of the Gov Peak Rec Area trails (just down the road), which are getting some nice attention by the trailbuilders in the Valley.

The 16 Mile Downhill Trail is a few miles of very smooth Whistler-flow type trail, with some jumps. Everything can be rolled and there are no "technical" spots, just like a bigger version of the Kincaid Southside stuff. Unfortunately it's just one trail, but it's a total blast, so I highly recommend it while the weather is possibly still decent. It's called "16 Mile" because the trailhead is at the 16 mile mark of the road, although I don't recall any mileage signs.

The Government Peak Rec Area (GPRA) trails are like Kincaid or Hillside. They don't have a lot of miles yet, but some fun features and berms, definitely quality stuff being built out there. No, you can't shuttle the GPRA, so an AM bike makes the most sense, but if you are not concerned about a little climbing or just want to do the shuttle, then by all means bring your DH bike. There are some bigger jumps if you should choose to try them on the 16 Mile. Nothing that requires a DH bike, but just for the DH it won't hurt at all.

Weather on Saturday is supposed to be ok (so far).

Meet at the end of the DH, where it comes out on Fishhook (Hatcher Pass Rd).

There's always the Palmer Alehouse after...
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    As an FYI, the Valley Mountain Bikers and Hikers - builders of the GPRA trails - will be out from 9 to noon on Saturday doing some trail maintenance. If you have the time, stop by and help out!

Right now we have 4.4 miles of trail at GPRA with more on the docket for next summer! The lower loop is designed to be more of a beginner/intermediate trail and the upper loop is more intermediate/advanced. The trails are designed such that coming at them from either direction results in a about the same amount of climbing and decent and there are good lines going in either direction.

Additionally, on Friday August 28, from 8 to 10 PM VMBaH will be doing another Moonlit Miles ride. This time at GPRA. C'mon out and give the trails a go. As some Anchorage riders I chatted with last week said: "When people start getting out here to ride, it's gonna blow up. The trails are that much fun!"

Hope to see you there.

Elitest thrill junkie
    It's still a long ways to get out there, especially for a night-ride. The trails are coming along nicely though and I like them much better than Kepler-Bradley.

The 16 Mile was great last Saturday at 9am with just a little dew, but I know exactly what you mean. Once they get wet, they get slipery. On a fatbike it's even worse. It seems the smoother and more compacted the trail surface, the bigger an issue this is. But at least the trail isn't washing away too.

The trails are turning into something that is kind of worth it for the drive if you combine with some other stuff, at least that's how I see it now. I volunteer as much as I can around here to help build and maintain, so I have an appreciation for just how much dirt gets moved by hand.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

Elitest thrill junkie
    Well, with no interest I'm going to call it off then.