*!#%^ Horses- Mtbr.com

Thread: *!#%^ Horses

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

*!#%^ Horses

Rode the skijoring trail off the tank trail last night and was amazed how much destruction a couple of horses were able to inflict on the trail. The trail was soft from recent rains and churned into a muddy mess in many, many stretches. You could also see how even a few of these creatures were punching down the soft trail and exposing the roots even further. Not sure what can be done about the horse crowd and their bad judgment, but it is an increasing problem and one that won't go away by itself. It appears that the real problem is that all of the non-gravel trails are just too soft to sustain horse traffic without trenching. Arrrggh!!! Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Bummer.
    Part the problem is there are huge tour groups of horses out riding those trails.
    Take pictures, get someone official out there to look at it. Stop those guys.

Diaskeuast
    Send photos and specific location info to John McCleary at Parks & Rec. The land managers need to see what the horse groups are doing to the trails, and they need to hear from other user groups insisting that the horse owners -- especially the commercial outfits -- be held accountable.
    Enjoying the meaningful pursuit of meaningless fun.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Spoke with John this morning and gave him the heads up. He will inquire with vendors. He also said that some stables have been trucking horses to the trail heads and going from there. If you see any big horse trailers take note and let John know and he will try to track them down and dissuade them from using soft trails.

Unfortunately our ride last night was photo-free, so if anyone heads out there in the next few days and takes photos please pass them along to John so this is documented.

John's contacts are: [email protected] or 343.4296. Thx.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Rode crevasses moraine and some of the lesser known trails last night, and there was some pretty bad horse sledgehammer sections as well.

I'm pretty relaxed when it comes to understanding multiple land use policy, but I am getting extremely fed up with this. I don't degrade the trail in one sitting, and I certainly don't crap on the trail. The notion of horsemen in the wilderness is BS, pure American manifest destiny bologna.

It makes a person mad enough to crap on or in front of a horse trailer in the parking lot. I mean...did I say that? I mean it makes me want to talk it out with the equestrian users.

seedub

Moose Ridge

Rode Moose Ridge a couple weeks ago. It was always challenging for roots, now the horses have completely wrecked it. Myself on a 29er w/ 2.3s and even a fatbike went down a couple times.
    I grew up around horses, love 'em, but they are truly destroying the trails out there.
    you may have come before us on no bicycle, but that does not say you know everything.

Members who have read this thread: 0