XACD ti vs Flyte/airborne/hi light- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

XACD ti vs Flyte/airborne/hi light

Thinking of ti...very limited budget and even ebay goes above my budget for used sometimes. Wanted to do a custom bike as well. Would love to buy american, but honestly will never be able to pay that much.

XACD or hi light?
    I've heard horror stories about xacd frames, but airborne aka hi light seem to be okay.

Any opinions?
    thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    what horror stories have you heard? XCAD is definitely the cheapest, I've heard good things about them, especially considering that you can get a custom frame for $380 before shipping.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    XACD is who makes hilight/airborne/hanebero/etc...XACD is the actual factory that all these brands offering discount titanium frames/forks/accessories uses. So you can buy the one direct from the factory to your own specs, or the one from another brand to their specs, but with their markup on the price too.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Theres a couple of threads we're someone had a cracked seatstay and someone couldn't push the seat post in to far because the seat tube wasn't straight or something. But if that's just a few from thousands of frames, i guess that's okay.

XACD makes high light as well? didn't know that. There was a thread that said they were two different factories.
    Thanks!

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    XACD is who makes hilight/airborne/hanebero/etc...XACD is the actual factory that all these brands offering discount titanium frames/forks/accessories uses. So you can buy the one direct from the factory to your own specs, or the one from another brand to their specs, but with their markup on the price too.
    This isn't actually the case. XACD is listed as being based in Xi'an. Hi-light is produced in southern Beijing (I visisted their store recently, but the factory was closed on the weekend). The factory that produces Hi-light used to produce Airborne and they still had some frames with the nifty Airborne stickers kicking about. I ended up with a nice Ti seatpost too

Yes... and XACD is the factory that produced Airborne....

Hi-Light can claim they're produced in southern beijing, but unless you actually visit the real factory in person, I wouldn't believe their claims.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    Yes... and XACD is the factory that produced Airborne....

Hi-Light can claim they're produced in southern beijing, but unless you actually visit the real factory in person, I wouldn't believe their claims.
    Have you been to either of these locations?

I have been corresponding with the Hi-lite makers, and have their address in Beijing. They asked me to visit the factory when I was there recently, but I was flying out that morning. I would have taken the Airbornes scattered about in their Beijing store, and the fact that the factory rep had a local Beijing phone number, as a pretty good indicator of their location.

I'm open to persuasion the idea that it's all some strange Chinese plot, but it's going to take a little more evidence given what I've seen so far.

[EDIT] A riding buddy has been to the factory. That's where he picked up his Black Widow.
    Last edited by womble; 04-24-2007 at 10:18 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by womble
    Have you been to either of these locations?

I have been corresponding with the Hi-lite makers, and have their address in Beijing. They asked me to visit the factory when I was there recently, but I was flying out that morning. I would have taken the Airbornes scattered about in their Beijing store, and the fact that the factory rep had a local Beijing phone number, as a pretty good indicator of their location.

I'm open to persuasion the idea that it's all some strange Chinese plot, but it's going to take a little more evidence given what I've seen so far.

[EDIT] A riding buddy has been to the factory. That's where he picked up his Black Widow.
    is there a difference between hi-light and xacd? i'm guessing you'd get the hi-light?
    why?

If there's one thing I learned from dealing with XACD's reps is that they'll tell you whatever you wanna hear, to get your money. But airborne was when they were USA owned and operating, willing to admit XACD is who produced their stuff, and this was well known on mtbr years ago.
    A lot of mtbr users used to order factory direct instead of getting stuff from Airborne. The frame designs were the same, the materials the same.

Its not hard to have factory reps with numbers in different cities. Rocky Mountain Bicycles has reps in every province of canada and they all have their own local numbers that don't go to where the factory is in vancouver.

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Like I said, a riding buddy has been to the Beijing to pick up a frame from the factory.

And like I asked before- have you been to either location?

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Celesto
    is there a difference between hi-light and xacd? i'm guessing you'd get the hi-light?
    why?

Beats me- I don't know anything about XACD. All I've seen is a fuzzy photo of a single frame on their website. The fuzzy photo looks *vaguely* like an Airborne Lancaster, only it's missing disc brake mounts and has the wrong cable routing.

Maybe they use the same factory and pretend to be different. Maybe they use different factories and pretend to be the same. Maybe they use different factories and have nothing to do with each other. I don't really care

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Hi-Light trademark owner:

BeiJingHangLunYunDong xxYouXianGongSi
    (Bicycle stands, Bicycle handle bars, Bicycle frames, Cranks for cycles, Cycle saddles, Bicycle brakes...)
    Address: YingHaiXiang, DaiXing Distriсt, BeiJing City, China
    (source: http://www.chinatrademarkdatabase.com/)

www.ti-bicycle.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I have been to the Hang Lun factory in South Beijing which makes the Hi-Light frames and used to make the Airborne frames. Know the president of the company and he is nice guy. My frame broke and he gave me a new one. Has also fixed up friends frames for free. The XACD ones come from Xian and seem to be a different company totally.

Members who have read this thread: 0