Wide rims for hob goblin?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Wide rims for hob goblin?

I'm thinking about picking up a new set of wheels for my bike. Currently running stock hoops but thinking of switching to a wide rim, something like 35mm wide.

Anyone running these wide rims? I've had problems with wide tire clearance in the past. For example a hans dampf on the rear will rub against the frame.

Wide rims will naturally push tires out further so If any of you folks are doing this what size wheels are you running? What kind of tires?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I put some new 2015 Nobby Nics on my Seeker. With the stock rims they measured shy of the 2.35 size I bought. With wider rims, you could fit this in the front, but it might be too tight in the rear. I think the biggest in the rear with wider rims might be 2.2. I don't know if the hob goblin rear clearance is different than a goblin, probably is since it is FS

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I have a Hans Dampf (2.35) up front with plenty of room to spare. I have the stock geax in back still.

I wonder if there is some rule of thumb about how much rim width influences inflated tire size? I have read several articles about wider rims == wider tires but the measurements are all over the place.

I'd like to make an educated guess to which tires might fit on the wider rim and still fit on my bike.

I really want to avoid the scenario where I buy a new set of wheels only to discover there is no combination of tire that will work.

mtbr member
    I'll chime in here based on my personal experiences.

The max rear tire size I'd recommend for the rear on a HG is 2.2-2.3 inches. This is on a standard 19mm rim. Anything larger than that runs into clearance issues with the front of the chainstays behind the pivot point.

As you go wider in rim size, the tire as a general rule of thumb will get a little larger when inflated. There is no exact ratio as this depends on the tire profile and other characteristics. The best way to explain this is if you look at cross-sections of tires, tires with treads that are further down into the sidewall than others tend to "grow" wider more than tires with a flat tread profile when placed on wider rims.

For reference I have a set of Race King 2.2's on the front and rear of my personal HG, mounted on 26mm wide rims. IMHO this is right at the limit of where I think is a good balance between clearance and width in the back.

I hope that helps!

Jeremy
    Please Note: I no longer work for Airborne. If you have an Airborne question or problem please contact them directly.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Hmm, thanks for the information.

Are you talking 26mm internal width? I was thinking about building up a set of Stan's Flow EX which have internal width of 25.5mm.

mtbr member
    I believe that's probably external width. Internal is probably around 22mm or so.

Best thing I can recommend is to try it and see if it works. Worse case is you need to downsize the tire to make up for the spread (like maybe a 2.1 or 2.0).

Hope that helps,

Jeremy
    Please Note: I no longer work for Airborne. If you have an Airborne question or problem please contact them directly.