Wide Bars & Better Tires = :)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Wide Bars & Better Tires = :)

After replying to an earlier thread it got me thinking about recent changes I made to my Goblin. At around 300 miles I noticed the middle tread on the stock Geax AKA rear wheel was very worn down. By 400 miles the it was almost smooth and starting to wear much more on the next couple outside rows. Having come from 26" wheels I've never ridden those small-block knobs before but they seem to be on a lot of 29ers sold these days so I didn't think much of it.

Anyway, as I started the search process I landed on the Maxxis Ardent as a rear replacement and since I was replacing the rear decided to go with a Maxxis High Roller in the front. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! Cornering, climbing, everything! I know some will say go tubeless too - which may be in the future - but these new tires are a joy to ride. If you're not crazy about the Geax, thinking about a change or need to replace worn tires, this is an excellent combination.

Also, on the topic of changes, several months ago I wanted to try wider bars, so I ended up replacing the stock 640mm ones with 725mm. It sounds like a big change on paper but my riding position didn't feel much different. The biggest change was the leverage I feel in climbing and power transfer. It's easier to get up and go from a stop and I feel there's more control.

Wanted to post this in case anybody was on the fence about the stock tires or looking for a change. Give it a try, you may like it!

Here's the setup with the new tires & bars:

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    What bars did you go with? I upgraded to RaceFace Atlas 785mm on my Evo and will not go back!

mtbr member
    Wider bars {Truvative Hussefelt) and better tires (currently CST Critter rear/CST Rock Hawk front) were the first things I changed on my Guardian. OH and the stem. Went from 110 to 70mm (Truvative). WORLD of difference in handling.
    Last edited by hrbib21; 04-20-2015 at 03:46 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by RSDSav View Post
    What bars did you go with? I upgraded to RaceFace Atlas 785mm on my Evo and will not go back!
    RaceFace Evolve

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Do you guys prefer bars with more rise or less rise?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    What size tires did you change to? I did wider bars, shorter stem (40), and 2.35 Nobby Nics (new ones, 2015's). Love the bars and stem, haven't tried the new tires yet. Glad to hear you like the changes you made. I was looking at Ardents and almost bought them. Wasn't sure if 2.4's would fit, and didn't want the 2.2's since the same size.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Bttocs View Post
    What size tires did you change to? I did wider bars, shorter stem (40), and 2.35 Nobby Nics (new ones, 2015's). Love the bars and stem, haven't tried the new tires yet. Glad to hear you like the changes you made. I was looking at Ardents and almost bought them. Wasn't sure if 2.4's would fit, and didn't want the 2.2's since the same size.
    I went with 2.2 in the back and 2.3 in front. It wasn't so much the width but rather the tread pattern for me. It's such a noticable difference with those knobs! Visually I think they most definitely look wider than the AKA's.

Quote Originally Posted by cTxAggie View Post
    The ones I ordered are 3/4" rise. My thought process was the wider bars the lower my body position so to make up for that I went for the riser.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Makes sense on the size. Every tire mfg seems to vary on how they measure or spec their tires. The width of the rim makes a difference too. I found the 2.35 Nobby Nics are just slightly wider than the 2.2 AKA's. They don't measure 2.35 with calipers. The AKA's measure just over 2.2 for what it is worth. I think our rims are on the narrow side, so that may make the NN's slightly smaller. Also says the AKA's are a "big" 2.2 tire.

I went with a 3" rise bar, 760 wide. This puts my bars about 1" lower than my seat. I am tall and didn't fit the cockpit of the 22" frame all that well, too much reach. The 3" bar really helped for me with the short stem.

Here's a pic from the cluttered basement. NN on front, AKA still on rear

Wide Bars & Better Tires = :)-img_20150331_203611502_2.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cTxAggie View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Definitely more rise for me. Mine is 30mm. Really a personal choice, though.