Who is riding an Airborne- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Who is riding an Airborne

X-post from what bike to buy.

Thinking about the Black Widow specifically. Would like to hear from you. Quality of frame, overall satisfaction, and customer service.

Thanks
    Chubbs

There is a difference between the illusion of freedom and the reality of freedom

TJ.
    MRI Magnet Quencher Fixer

Lucky Strike here.

I have had it for the last 5 years. Ti frame. well built. Great warranty. The later model bikes that are out now are great. They clear a wide tire. Disk mounts, etc.

TJ

www.gvii.net/hundtoft

mtbr member

Own an AB road bike. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Chubbs

Thinking about the Black Widow specifically. Would like to hear from you. Quality of frame, overall satisfaction, and customer service.

Thanks
    I own a AB Zeppelin, a road bike, but the questions you posed can cross both road or mtb frames I believe. It's a 2001 and it's been a great experience from the day I started looking at Airborne's products. This was my first road bike and fit is a typically a bigger concern with road bikes and they helped me through the process. Since then, I've plugged numbers into various fit programs and it's pretty much right on and I haven't had any fit issues, or any issues for that matter. When my bike arrived, it was packaged immaculately. A lot of little extras were included like a multi-tool and a few other items. Each custom component item was itemized on the invoice and installed with care, lots of little attention to detail that I was very impressed with. So in terms of customer service, they recieve top scores from me.

I think Airborne figured out the internet market quickly and provides great service. As for the product. I've had a lot of compliments about the quality look of the frame. A lot of roadies (the snobs at least) look down at Airbornes because of the past association with Huffy (they were acquired, then recently divested from what I understand) but more likely is that they'd paid a bunch more for a Litespeed and need to justify it. Not that a Litespeed might have better quality in some respects, but is it worth it to the weekend warrior for the premium paid for what is often a subjective performance difference? I don't see this prejudice in the MTB market though but we'll see how many Litespeed owners start flaming me now ;-) No one has ever flamed my AB in person though, most admire it but were hesitant to buy something online without riding it.

Ti is great. Low maintainance, comfortable, but it can be expensive. When I bought my Zep, it was a great value for a Ti frame. Lately the prices have come up so you can get a last year's Litespeed or other Ti frame for a comparable price. I have been a happy rider and supporter of Airborne's products and services though for a few years now and wouldn't hesitate to buy another one of their products. Enjoy!

John
    JS5280

banned
    Jan 2004

I had a Lucky Strike a few years back, and though it rode...

Thanks
    ...very well, I did end up putting a suspension post on it. The only reason I don't still have it, is that I wanted to get one good climbing FS, instead of having it and the Uzzi SL I had. If my apartment/budget were bigger, and it were a Black Widow rather than Lucky Strike, I might still have it. What I'm saying is, the Black Widow looks like it would be a much more comfortable ride. It also has a roomier cockpit, with the longer toptube. Between the 16.9" stays, and the webbed seatstay yoke, you may only need one of the nice modern saddle shapes, with a comfortable ridgid post.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Luck Strike for me as well.

I have an 01 Luck Strike. I have ridden through mostly Rocky Colorado singletrack. It has held together perfectly and offers a great ride. The folks there are nice, and the sale was quick and painless. I did have one issue when I received it, they included the wrong size bolt for the seatpost binder. I called, and after a quick check, they said that they had assembeled a few bikes with the wrong bolt. They overnighted the correct one with a handful of decals, and I was on may way.

mtbr member

I love my Steel Black Widow...

Thanks
    I picked this up second hand and dusted the cobwebs off of it:

I've been riding it for the past year and I love it. I spoke with Airborne a couple of times while I was doing the rebuild and they were very nice in helping me resolve a couple of issues (bb size and seat tube insert sizing). I would buy a new frame from them.

Black Widow Girl:

Final Build:

Have fun -- TD