Who makes the Airborne?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Who makes the Airborne?

Hey everyone. I just came across a fella whose selling an Airborne Lucky Strike frame for $200. It appears to be in good shape- no cracks, dents or scratches. Does anyone know anything about the quality of this frame. Is the price reasonable? Also, are Airbornes still being made cuz I've never heard of 'em. Thanks mates.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Airborne is no longer producing frames. It seemed to have quite a loyal following, at least for road bikes. Its reputation was good for producing frames, again for road frames. I'm sure someone here will know more about the MTBs around these parts.
    Regret lasts longer than pain.

Thanks to:
    Cycle to Fitness KHS Bikes Woodland Lanes Mavic

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Airborne frames were made by a factory in China. The company no longer exists but the Lucky Strikes were highly regarded (do a search mtbr.com and also a Google search- lots of feedback is available). Off memory, the unbutted titanium 3/2.5 frame should weigh about 1.6kg for the 18", so it's a tad heavier than similar sized butted frames, and definitely heavier than lightweight CF frames, but unlike CF it should last forever.

The frames originally cost closer to the thousand mark. You can get new frames made by the original Chinese factory for $800 via an Ebay seller. So $200 looks like a real bargain, though you might want to check that it's got disk brake mounts if you want 'em.

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Bike/product_17965.shtml
    Last edited by womble; 06-08-2007 at 09:50 PM.

mtbr member
    The Lucky Strike was Airborne's top of the line frame when it first came out. It wasn't disc compatible until 2001, I think, which will give you an idea of the age of the frame thats for sale.

I'm a big fan of Airborne - 6 of them in our little mtb family, 1 Corsair, 1 Lucky Strike, 1 Black Widow & 3 Paka Wallups!

Don't touch me!
    All you need to know... and then some.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...03175#poststop
    No offense to KB, but if I see another "Strong, light, cheap. Pick two" line on this site...

MCM# eleventy billion

No offense to thieves, but if I see another "Ride it like you stole it" line on this site...

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info everyone. I checked on the frame again and it is a 2001. It's a shame they're not being manufactured anymore because they really look sharp, especially with the pinup graphic. Looks like I'll soon be another Airborne follower. Thanks again everyone.

Members who have read this thread: 0