Wheel upgrade for Evo- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2015

Wheel upgrade for Evo

Noob here where it comes to wheels. Can anyone help guide me on what I should look for in a set of wheels for the evo? I am looking to shed some rotational weight but I am not sure at all what kind of wheels I need. Width? what kind of hub?

Also, does anyone know how much the stock wheelset weighs? I want to make sure that whatever I choose is worth the weight difference.

Squ-eti
    really depends on why you're trying to lighten up...if it's for cross country riding/climbing it will be alot easier and cheaper to go tubeless and get a narrower/lighter set of tires than the Ardents.

Sun/Ringle lists the weight for the Charger Comps at 2075 grams. There are going to be lots of lighter wheel options out there that are going to cost a pretty good penny too. Whether the weight savings is worth the cost would be up to you to decide. I like the Charger Comps for the rough/rocky riding I do. They hold up where I'm sure other wheels would have failed.

If you were going to get a new wheelset the important things to match are that they are thru axle and the correct width...15x120 front and 12x142 rear for the EVO.

Rim width again depends on what your goals are. If you're looking for a cross country rig, and going to be going to narrower tires I would say width doesn't really matter. Any standard sized 29" rim will work just fine. If you're sticking with the Ardents for their volume and float then I wouldn't get a rim with an inner width less than the 28mm's of the Charger Comps because the tire would be more likely to flop over on the rim through turns. Especially if you're running at lower tire pressures that tubeless lets you get away with. I also don't know how much wider than 28mm I would go. Much wider and you're getting into 29+ territory and may have issues with tire clearance at the rear stays and the fork.

Hope this helps even though I didn't give any specific suggestions. There's just too many options available, and without knowing why exactly you're looking to ditch the Charger Comps this was the best advice I could give.
    "Trails? Where we're going we don't need, trails!"

mtbr member
    Mar 2015

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by mccartney7499 View Post
    really depends on why you're trying to lighten up...if it's for cross country riding/climbing it will be alot easier and cheaper to go tubeless and get a narrower/lighter set of tires than the Ardents.

Sun/Ringle lists the weight for the Charger Comps at 2075 grams. There are going to be lots of lighter wheel options out there that are going to cost a pretty good penny too. Whether the weight savings is worth the cost would be up to you to decide. I like the Charger Comps for the rough/rocky riding I do. They hold up where I'm sure other wheels would have failed.

If you were going to get a new wheelset the important things to match are that they are thru axle and the correct width...15x120 front and 12x142 rear for the EVO.

Rim width again depends on what your goals are. If you're looking for a cross country rig, and going to be going to narrower tires I would say width doesn't really matter. Any standard sized 29" rim will work just fine. If you're sticking with the Ardents for their volume and float then I wouldn't get a rim with an inner width less than the 28mm's of the Charger Comps because the tire would be more likely to flop over on the rim through turns. Especially if you're running at lower tire pressures that tubeless lets you get away with. I also don't know how much wider than 28mm I would go. Much wider and you're getting into 29+ territory and may have issues with tire clearance at the rear stays and the fork.

Hope this helps even though I didn't give any specific suggestions. There's just too many options available, and without knowing why exactly you're looking to ditch the Charger Comps this was the best advice I could give.
    Thank you so much for the help! That is actually exactly what I needed to know. I have already gone tubeless and I think it made a huge difference.

The reason I want to get lighter wheels/tires is so that I can make this bike my cross country bike. 90% of my riding is considered cross country. I am getting a Santa Cruz 5010 for my chunkier/mountain needs and also for the fun factor. I wanted to setup the evo as my fast XC hard tail. Shedding weight, especially rotational weight becomes a priority. At the same time, it's not like I want to put Enve wheels on it

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I ran some Sun Ringle Charger Pros with 2.1 Kenda Small Block 8s tubeless for cross country stuff for a long time...I found getting some good XC tires was a lot cheaper than getting new wheels initially..I eventually built up a set of I9s on Crest rims....a lot lighter...but like someone else mentioned the cost for the loss of weight is pretty hefty..

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyTx View Post
    I ran some Sun Ringle Charger Pros with 2.1 Kenda Small Block 8s tubeless for cross country stuff for a long time...I found getting some good XC tires was a lot cheaper than getting new wheels initially..I eventually built up a set of I9s on Crest rims....a lot lighter...but like someone else mentioned the cost for the loss of weight is pretty hefty..
    I was in the same situation. I've switched the tires to Ikons and dropped 1 lbs of rotational weight. It made a big difference and met my needs to change the Evo into more X county bike. Still shopping for a fully trail bike...

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by betorac View Post
    I was in the same situation. I've switched the tires to Ikons and dropped 1 lbs of rotational weight. It made a big difference and met my needs to change the Evo into more X county bike. Still shopping for a fully trail bike...
    I was thinking about starting out with this setup too. I didn't think I could shave almost a pound just by replacing the tires alone. How did you like the Ikons? Did they have enough grip?

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyTx View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion. I didn't think there was THAT much weight to save in just tires. I think I am going to start with the tires like you suggested and see how it goes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by moroccanjoe2 View Post
    I was thinking about starting out with this setup too. I didn't think I could shave almost a pound just by replacing the tires alone. How did you like the Ikons? Did they have enough grip?
    I'm including going tubeless in the 1 lbs calculation. But just the tires will drop 400grams.

I'm in the Midwest so its mostly hardpack and not a lot of rocks so I can get away with it. It really depends on type of trails you ride. I lost a little bit of grip especially when it gets damp but just have to be more careful on the fast turns. Overall I'm faster though since I can maintain a higher speed and better acceleration.

I will use the EVO for XC racing and plan on buying a full suspension trail bike for when the trails are more technical.