What makes the EVO a Trail bike?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

What makes the EVO a Trail bike?

I race XC in WI. Specifically the WORS series (Wisconsin Off Road Series).

This year I will be racing Sport Clydesdale and next year regular Sport. My hope is to be a top 15 in Sport next year (not an easy task).

Anyways Airborne markets its Goblin as XC and its EVO as Trail. I am leaning towards buying the EVO for this years race season as it has the better component list.

What makes the EVO a 'Trail' bike instead of a XC? The 120mm Fork? If that is the only difference im ok with that since a longer travel on WI XC trails will not be a hindrance, if anything a help.

So is there anything else im missing? How big is the weight difference? I mean as a Clyde this year weight is not something im spending a lot of time worrying about. Next year as I drop into the 180# range to compete in regular Sport, weight will concern me a bit more...
    People ask me all the time "who beat you up"? I tell them "a tree". They just look at me funny....

Squ-eti
    compared to the Goblin...EVO has

longer travel fork
    sturdier frame
    sturdier wheels
    "slack" head tube
    slightly shorter chainstays
    more voluminous tires
    short stem/wide bar combo

the definition of a "trail" bike is kind of vague still, but
    these are things things I see that will allow you to subject
    the EVO to more abuse than the Goblin while staying in
    control and having a blast doing it.
    "Trails? Where we're going we don't need, trails!"

mtbr member
    Not sure about how much beefier the frame is and what weight it gained, but as McCartney said, the HTA is slacker, chainstays shorter, IMHO, this is what a good HT should look like if you ride for fun or race for fun and/or on more technical trails.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    They hit it on the head above. A little burlier, more travel and slacker head angle. With a smaller tire I can race XC without problem. It comes with big 29x2.4 Maxxis tires. It's a great bike.

mtbr member
    Unless you are hucking and jumping your bike during races, go with the Goblin. If you are racing XC, use an XC bike. If all you are looking at is components, well, you have your answer there, too, go with the EVO. If you are considering weight for the future like you suggested, EVO may not be the way to go as the frame itself weighs considerably more than the Goblin frame.

mtbr member
    I'd say the evo would be a little on the hefty side for XC racing. I raced the goblin for the last 2 seasons in the MNMBS series (Minnesota) and it performed great for the $1200 price tag. The only thing I would replace Asap would be the tires, the stockers are heeeaaavvvyyy. I went with Maxxis ikons 2.35 front and 2.2 rear, great combo. Good luck on your upcoming season!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 8iking VIIking View Post
    I'd say the evo would be a little on the hefty side for XC racing. I raced the goblin for the last 2 seasons in the MNMBS series (Minnesota) and it performed great for the $1200 price tag. The only thing I would replace Asap would be the tires, the stockers are heeeaaavvvyyy. I went with Maxxis ikons 2.35 front and 2.2 rear, great combo. Good luck on your upcoming season!
    What makes it a "bit heavy" compared to the Goblin? Is the frame heavier? The rimes and tires? The fork? Im willing to spend money to lighten up the EVO by replacing the Rims/Tires and maybe the seat post, handle bars ...probably wouldnt be willing to upgrade the fork.
    People ask me all the time "who beat you up"? I tell them "a tree". They just look at me funny....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pattongb View Post
    What makes it a "bit heavy" compared to the Goblin? Is the frame heavier? The rimes and tires? The fork? Im willing to spend money to lighten up the EVO by replacing the Rims/Tires and maybe the seat post, handle bars ...probably wouldnt be willing to upgrade the fork.
    The frame and nearly every component will be heavier on the evo, it's designed as a "trail" bike so it has beefier parts that an xc bike. Don't think that the goblin can't handle a beating though, I put my goblin thru the ringer during the 2 years I had it, I even did some lift assisted riding with it at Spirit Mtn in Duluth! It handled everything i threw at it and then some!

The goblin just makes a lot more sense for XC racing. Also, it's 400 dollars cheaper so you have some extra money for new bars/stem, tires, 1x conversion, even a new wheelset.

mtbr member
    Hmm I want to take you serious but how do you not know the EVO is only $80 more than the Goblin?

You dont have any actual numbers though right to back up the difference in weight? I am a Clydesdale racer right now, and even if i make it to non clyde next year I will never weigh below 180#. So a few pounds dont mean a lot to me. So again, how BIG is the weight difference?

Also, on a final note, I dont have any other bikes to train on. So I will be using this bike for road riding and for leveled gravel trail riding. So a bike that works for those as well as usable for racing is important.

mtbr member
    Hmm I want to take you serious but how do you not know the EVO is only $80 more than the Goblin?

You dont have any actual numbers though right to back up the difference in weight? I am a Clydesdale racer right now, and even if i make it to non clyde next year I will never weigh below 180#. So a few pounds dont mean a lot to me. So again, how BIG is the weight difference?

Also, on a final note, I dont have any other bikes to train on. So I will be using this bike for road riding and for leveled gravel trail riding. So a bike that works for those as well as usable for racing is important.
    My bad, I haven't been on the airborne forum in a while, i sold my goblin and bought an Air9 carbon last fall. Last time I checked the evo was $1599. That makes the decision tougher for sure. I would still go goblin tho. Better geometry for climbing, and a lighter wheelset (you'll notice wheel weight much more than anything else). Xc races are won and lost in the climbs, and the goblin will climb better. And you can take that $80 and do a 1x conversion, best bang for your buck as far as weight loss goes

Squ-eti
    I haven't weighed my EVO, but I remember reading around 27.5 lbs on here. Certainly doesn't "feel" heavy. Approx. 26 lbs for the Goblin is what I seem to remember. In other words, neither are superlight and the difference is negligible.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mccartney7499 View Post
    I haven't weighed my EVO, but I remember reading around 27.5 lbs on here. Certainly doesn't "feel" heavy. Approx. 26 lbs for the Goblin is what I seem to remember. In other words, neither are superlight and the difference is negligible.
    There's no way a stock evo weighs 27.5 lbs...

mtbr member
    Exactly, Senor Viking hasn
    t compared them, is he is going by "what he thinks" because if you look at the actual build, you'll note that the fork changes from a Reba to Rev=170g heavier. The wheels change from some no names hubs laced to WTB i19s to Sun Ringle Charger COMPS - I've personally assembled a Goblin and dealt with the Charger Comps, no ral weight difference to speak of. Cockpit from Airborne rebranded generic to Truvativ Stylo 30, which again is a pretty level swap. The there's tyres, from Geax AKA 2.2" to Ardent 2.4" - most personal thing about a bike, where you live and intended purpose. easily and cheaply changed.

If it were me and I wanted to enjoy my trail riding while trying my hand at some XC Races, I wouldn't hesitate to go with the EVO. Rode that old school steep "XC" geo before I got my Paradox and the amount of confidence the switch made was amazing, haven't looked back since, ride nothing with a HTA steeper than 69*.

Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Exactly, Senor Viking hasn
    t compared them, is he is going by "what he thinks" because if you look at the actual build, you'll note that the fork changes from a Reba to Rev=170g heavier. The wheels change from some no names hubs laced to WTB i19s to Sun Ringle Charger COMPS - I've personally assembled a Goblin and dealt with the Charger Comps, no ral weight difference to speak of. Cockpit from Airborne rebranded generic to Truvativ Stylo 30, which again is a pretty level swap. The there's tyres, from Geax AKA 2.2" to Ardent 2.4" - most personal thing about a bike, where you live and intended purpose. easily and cheaply changed.

If it were me and I wanted to enjoy my trail riding while trying my hand at some XC Races, I wouldn't hesitate to go with the EVO. Rode that old school steep "XC" geo before I got my Paradox and the amount of confidence the switch made was amazing, haven't looked back since, ride nothing with a HTA steeper than 69*.
    I was going by what would be best for Wisconsin xc races, which would be the goblin. Thanks for reminding me why I haven't ventured outside of the OC much lately

Squ-eti
    http://forums.mtbr.com/airborne/intr...er-888430.html

this thread mentions that the Airborne website used to list a weight of 27.4 lbs for the EVO (probably w/o pedals). there's also mention of a 20" weighing 28.4 lbs.

Actually I don't know where I came up with 26 lbs for Goblin. Everything I've found has it at 28+.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 8iking VIIking View Post
    I was going by what would be best for Wisconsin xc races, which would be the goblin. Thanks for reminding me why I haven't ventured outside of the OC much lately
    Miss seeing you around here 8iking - hope all is well! I am right there with you, the OP needs a Goblin, not an EVO. Right now my Goblin is just over 22 pounds, even with a dropper post installed on the bike. You would have to spend a lot of money to get the EVO down to that weight.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ul_chicken View Post
    Miss seeing you around here 8iking - hope all is well! I am right there with you, the OP needs a Goblin, not an EVO. Right now my Goblin is just over 22 pounds, even with a dropper post installed on the bike. You would have to spend a lot of money to get the EVO down to that weight.
    Sounds like a sweet build! I miss being part of the Airborne crew as well. Love my Niner though! I'm still waiting on the AM bike to come out...although the new pricing on the EVO has me intrigued... I'm looking to add something a bit burlier to compliment my xc race bike

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the input. I ordered the Goblin

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the input. I ordered the Goblin
    Solid choice! You will not be disappointed