Want a Bike and Sponsor : Airborne Flight Crew accepting Applications- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Want a Bike and Sponsor : Airborne Flight Crew accepting Applications

That's right, AIRBORNE BICYCLES is accepting applications for their 2012 Flight Crew. Each member receives1 or 2 bikes and full kit... plus much more.

To read about the opportunity, get the application, etc ... go HERE
    Soil Taste Tester

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Wow surprised no one has chimed in. Its a solid opportunity for a few people.
    Soil Taste Tester

mtbr member
    Obviously no one wants this thread on top... so they get a better chance at being part of the crew!

I'd do it... but...
    1. I'm 51 (not that age means anything of course... it's all about skillz! Still in hella great shape tho' )

2. I would need to schedule time off work for the racing and public appearances

3. I'd have to start back taking my ADHD meds (to lessen the amount of impulsive commentary my new sponsors might cringe over )

4. I'd need to find a reasonable/plausible explanation for my girlfriend as to why all-of-a-sudden I had hot chicks throwing themselves at me (hey... I gotta keep this GF! Do you know how hard it is to get a new girlfriend like mine when you're my age and not stinkin' rich? )

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    It sounded exciting until I checked out the product. I guess I remember the Airborne of old. Didn't realize the marketing focus was on new enthusiasts. Sorry, but at this stage I wouldn't want to ride the full suspension bike that is offered.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmySlowRdr View Post
    It sounded exciting until I checked out the product. I guess I remember the Airborne of old. Didn't realize the marketing focus was on new enthusiasts. Sorry, but at this stage I wouldn't want to ride the full suspension bike that is offered.

I completely understand the your point of view but for most of us, even if we have our dream bike or a higher end product ... This can provide the vehicle for someone to branch into another discipline or expand their quiver.

I know personally I probably would not buy a Cyclocross bike or a DJ bike as that money would normally go to my main riding style... this can provide that opportunity,

Been itching to ride more DH but cant afford to buy a bike just for the occasional DH run... here ya go.
    Soil Taste Tester

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I'm thinking of jumping on this, does anyone have any suggestions as to why it wouldn't work

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    I would totally do it if GoPro were to sponsor me and give me some free cameras. I'm somewhat lazy, and I know I would be the only Airborne rep in the area if I got the job, but I don't take videos while riding (don't have a video camera), and it takes a lot of motivation for me to stop at good spots and shoot a few photos. I've got plenty of photos, but I don't take many photos regularly.

Who knows, maybe I'll end up applying anyways. The app is due in what, a month?

A-NON-A... Are you some sort of Airborne rep? Would you know about the time commitment required for the gig?
    Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Draper84 View Post
    I'm thinking of jumping on this, does anyone have any suggestions as to why it wouldn't work

The requirement for you to endlessly promote the product through spam like postings on boards like this one would dissuade me from entertaining this opportunity. To each his own however. If you feel like you have something to offer them step up. Keep in mind that nothing is free, you should consider that there very well be a downside to a commitment to any company that engages in this type of marketing. My two cents.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Draper84 View Post
    As long as you are some one with a little social media savvy and a blog or outlet ... why wouldnt you. All you have to do is give honest feedback on their product.

Quote Originally Posted by erik1245 View Post
    I would totally do it if GoPro were to sponsor me and give me some free cameras. I'm somewhat lazy, and I know I would be the only Airborne rep in the area if I got the job, but I don't take videos while riding (don't have a video camera), and it takes a lot of motivation for me to stop at good spots and shoot a few photos. I've got plenty of photos, but I don't take many photos regularly.

Who knows, maybe I'll end up applying anyways. The app is due in what, a month?

A-NON-A... Are you some sort of Airborne rep? Would you know about the time commitment required for the gig?
    I am not an Airborne Rep at all ... They are a company full of great people that fill an important niche in the market. They provide viable options for someone looking to get into MTB as well as a price point sensitive option for someone looking to add a bike to their stable and learn a new discipline..... The reviews their product has received from Decline Magazine, Bike, MBA, etc... has been all very good. THEY ARE NOT TOP OF THE LINE $5k bikes FWIW ...

Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    The requirement for you to endlessly promote the product through spam like postings on boards like this one would dissuade me from entertaining this opportunity. To each his own however. If you feel like you have something to offer them step up. Keep in mind that nothing is free, you should consider that there very well be a downside to a commitment to any company that engages in this type of marketing. My two cents.
    How is providing someone an awareness of free bike opportunities spam? Poor Adveritising. I think it is funny that after Airborne launched this program ... Guess who followed suit???

Specialized
    Giant (Austrailia) Current
    Foundry - current

I also know that a couple of their best guys have taken the publicity and spotlight and added sponsors such as Hayes, Renthal and others.

Just my .02 ... Personally I would love to do it and have been asked by multiple people ... but alas I feel it would detract from my focus and time that I spend on my website. Plus with my review section finally almost set for release ... I feel people may think I am offering a biased opinion and I want to avoid that.
    Soil Taste Tester

mtbr member
    Looking at the application I would love this opportunity but due to my other job and I can't afford to leave my full time job with a good salary and a benefits package that is really good. To apply or not to apply that is the question.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    @applehead There is no reason you would quit your job... If you normally ride a a couple tmies a week and dont mind recording it or writing about it ,, you should be good to go. Maybe use it as motivation to take a couple more MTB trips or mix up your destinations ... but other than that it doesn't need a crazy time commitment from what I have seen out of past members.
    Soil Taste Tester

banned
    Sep 2010
    Getting to be as bad as Bikes Direct. Screw all you effin spammers.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by floydlippencott View Post
    Getting to be as bad as Bikes Direct. Screw all you effin spammers.
    Since some people think this is spam.. I will stop posting or replying to this moving forward. I have no ties to Airborne I was simply someone that applied last year and feel it is a good opportunity for someone.

If any one interested has questions try hitting them up or feel free to PM me.
    Last edited by A-NON-A; 01-23-2012 at 12:24 AM.
    Soil Taste Tester

mtbr member

No good

Quote Originally Posted by A-NON-A View Post
    Wow surprised no one has chimed in. Its a solid opportunity for a few people.
    Looking at the bikes that are available, you are not going to get much interest from a lot of hardcore racer types. They are all low end bikes with low to mid level component specs. High level racers that are seeking sponsorship are going to be turned off by this equipment. Its just simply not competitive compared to what other Cat 2/1/Pro riders are on.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

bi-winning
    It looks like a pretty simple application form, which should not take too long to fill out if you are genuinely interested.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    I'm probably making a mistake by replying to this, but.............

We specifically tell our riders not to spam forums. We don't want to be "that company".

We want our riders to be honest, and talk about their bikes in an honest manner. Most of their commitment is in the form of videos and blog work; only 2 or 3 of our riders are even active on forums. Those few that are are instructed to have full disclosure and not behave in a manner that could be construed as being "schill". If you have specific instances where my Flight Crew has acted in a manner that they should not have, please feel free to show me.

Looking at the application I would love this opportunity but due to my other job and I can't afford to leave my full time job with a good salary and a benefits package that is really good. To apply or not to apply that is the question.
    Being a Flight Crew member should not interfere with your dayjob, LOL. We don't expect that much of any of our members. Basically, if you are already a social media active individual, you are already mostly there. For people who have never blogged and/or made vidoes before, yes the Flight Crew gig may take extra time on your part to learn the ropes.

Looking at the bikes that are available, you are not going to get much interest from a lot of hardcore racer types. They are all low end bikes with low to mid level component specs. High level racers that are seeking sponsorship are going to be turned off by this equipment. Its just simply not competitive compared to what other Cat 2/1/Pro riders are on.
    We aren't looking for racers. We are looking for people who ride their bikes. As a matter of fact we really don't want anyone who is at that elite level, because we know they would want to ride more expensive product. The Airborne brand is a value-conscious brand; we don't make any claims to be anything more than that.

Thanks,

Jeremy
    Please Note: I no longer work for Airborne. If you have an Airborne question or problem please contact them directly.

mtbr member
    Well pulled the trigger anyway whats the worst that can happen they say no thank you? I could easily set up social media to promote their bikes. I was looking at them even before this opportunity.

Members who have read this thread: 0