Turned my EVO tubeless today! Wow!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Turned my EVO tubeless today! Wow!

Easiest tubeless ive ever done (and ive done a lot of them). Thank you Airborne for the Stans setup included with the bike!

Turned my EVO tubeless today! Wow!-tire1.jpg
    People ask me all the time "who beat you up"? I tell them "a tree". They just look at me funny....

mtbr member
    My HobGoblin X0 is sitting at home with a flat. Maybe it's time I try tubeless. Should probably do it on the Goblin too while I'm at it.

mtbr member
    Good thinking. Honestly not sure why anyone with a Mountain Bike over $1000 would NOT be tubeless.

Go for it!
    People ask me all the time "who beat you up"? I tell them "a tree". They just look at me funny....

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I haven't converted mine yet. Looking forward to it. Can I do it with a floor pump?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I haven't converted mine yet either. I've read up on it some and such and kind of understand the advantages of it. But could someone explain in one spot here the advantages of going tubeless, and any disadvantages of going tubeless?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    It's lighter, you can run lower pressures and you won't get pinch flats. I still carry a tube just in case but it's been good to me.

Sawyer Gnome
    Quote Originally Posted by drivera View Post
    I haven't converted mine yet. Looking forward to it. Can I do it with a floor pump?

I did mine with a floor pump pretty easily. Go for it!
    Evil The Following
    Raleigh XXIX SS

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    One of the first things I did when I got my Evo as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Rob View Post
    I haven't converted mine yet either. I've read up on it some and such and kind of understand the advantages of it. But could someone explain in one spot here the advantages of going tubeless, and any disadvantages of going tubeless?
    The first major advantage is traction. An inner-tube is constantly forcing itself outward against the tire casing giving you that bounce feel off of bumps. A tire without a tube will actually conform itself around any bump or rock, moving the air inside the tire away giving you a large contact patch with the given obstacle. Since there is no tube, you don't have to worry about running such a high pressure in your tire to avoid snake-bite punctures from the rim, and in doing so, you give the tire a larger contact patch. Geared up, I am just under 200, and run 19 psi in the front, and 21 in the back and would never even consider going back to tubes unless I had a complete blow-up on the trail. In two years, it hasn't happened yet, but carry one just to be safe.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Also, if you live somewhere with thorns, it's a big relief not to have to fix flats. You can go full seasons without a flat as long as u keep sealant fresh.

mtbr member
    My Tubeless setups the last few years have been so solid that I stopped carrying an extra tube for emergencies. This Charger/Maxxis setup seems even more solid!

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I have a Gary Fisher Cake 4 that I live to ride... I'd love to shave some weight off the bike, and me, lol. Is there a problem with using the stock Bontrager rims? Other than weight?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    With a tubeless setup, what does the put the Goblin EVO weight at?

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    So I'm wondering if I screwed up my tubeless conversion a bit by unseating the tires with levers initially (albeit gingerly). Would that have affected the bead enough to have a slow leak? I noticed I lost a little air during an hour+ ride over the weekend.

Is touching the bead an absolute no-no when converting? The directions never mentioned it, but I a maintenance book I'm reading does.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by efnm View Post
    So I'm wondering if I screwed up my tubeless conversion a bit by unseating the tires with levers initially (albeit gingerly). Would that have affected the bead enough to have a slow leak? I noticed I lost a little air during an hour+ ride over the weekend.

Is touching the bead an absolute no-no when converting? The directions never mentioned it, but I a maintenance book I'm reading does.
    The first time you set your tires up tubeless, you will have leaks that will take a bit of time to seal (sometimes troublesome leaks can take up to a week to seal), especially around the bead. Ideally, you want to shake the wheel back and forth, all the way around, and then set it over a bucket flat so it can set up on the bead. After an hour or two, shake and flip it over again. You can also let out all the air, and CAREFULLY take some Stans juice with a paint brush and paint the bead and rim - this part is usually done just before you set the bead, but you can go back anytime and do this. Once you have done front and rear, the best thing to do is ride the bike - this will help start to seal up any air leaks as well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ul_chicken View Post
    Once you have done front and rear, the best thing to do is ride the bike - this will help start to seal up any air leaks as well.
    I like that method the best! I think I'll look at the painting when it comes time to refresh the Stan's. Thanks for the input as I'm obviously a notubes virgin.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by efnm View Post
    I like that method the best! I think I'll look at the painting when it comes time to refresh the Stan's. Thanks for the input as I'm obviously a notubes virgin.
    Everyone is a noob at one point - we all have to start somewhere! Just be patient with it, and it also never hurts to add an extra ounce of Stans to the tire the first time around since it will deplete rather quickly.

mtbr member
    I finally went tubeless on my HGX0! Next up will be the Goblin after I swap the AKA's for Ikons.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I got a flat so figured I'd go tubeless. The instruction videos I've seen indicate that I need to buy new valves, is that correct? The ones on here are presta which I've only used since I got this bike (had to buy a new pump for them), should I stick with that or buy the shrader valves? I have the stans that came with the bike, but nothing else. Anything else I need to buy before I get started? The video mentions rim tape, should I buy that, too?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    If you have a Goblin Evo it came with the tape pre-installed and the presta valve stems and sealant in the box with the bike. That's the way my HobGoblin X0 was. You will need to stick with presta valves as you would have to drill your rims to fit Shrader valves.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Awesome thanks. I opened the ziploc with the stans in it and sure enough there were instructions and 2 valves. Appreciate the help!

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Finally turned my EVO tubeless this past weekend as well. I'll add my "wow" to the list of wows here. For one it was one of the easiest things I've ever done to my bike. Secondly I feel it really helped with traction for sure. I could probably still stand to lose some psi, I was adjusting it on the go for about half the ride trying to find a good pressure for me. What kind of pressure are you all running and what's your body weights?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Tubeless was a notable improvement in feel for me on my Goblin. The only thing I'd do differently, and will do so next time I have the tires off, is convert it to schrader valves.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBaldBlur View Post
    Tubeless was a notable improvement in feel for me on my Goblin. The only thing I'd do differently, and will do so next time I have the tires off, is convert it to schrader valves.
    I just took delivery of stans presta valves for my tubeless conversion, im sending them back for schrader valves. I'm too much of a brute for these presta valves, i'm used to schraders.

I'm searching on Amazon for the Schrader valves, hopefully they have it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by StinkBait View Post
    I'm searching on Amazon for the Schrader valves, hopefully they have it.
    Black anodized aluminum valve

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBaldBlur View Post
    Thanks!

Edit:
    I also see these No Flats Tubeless Schrader Valve Kit | Chain Reaction Cycles

I'm searching to find out if the Joe's no flat schrader valves need to be modified like the 949 racing ones do to fit correctly. The Joe's are more $$ than the 949 stems, the 949 ones look 100% better too. The rims valve hole still needs to be opened up on both a bit.

I'm still researching!

Edit #2:
    I ordered the Joe's no flat schrader valve stem kit. I read that i'll need to use a 21/64 drill bit to open up the valve stem hole so the new schrader stem can fit in. I'll also need to de burr the hole after drilling, this all seems pretty easy to do.
    Last edited by StinkBait; 07-20-2015 at 11:18 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I finally converted mine yesterday. I couldn't get the beads to seat with just a hand pump, and I only have schrader chuck for my air compressor. So I went out and bought a presta to schrader valve adapter so I could use my compressor. Still no luck. Then I went out again and bought a presta core removal tool (suggested in the instructions). Once I had the core out the presta to schrader adapter didn't fit (because it attaches to the part that gets removed). I ended up squeezing it on there and holding it and was able to get them to seat. Took way longer than it should have because of the two trips to the store but it was actually pretty easy. 2nd one went way faster.

I've only ridden around the neighborhood so far but it seems fine. No obvious leaks, and they held pressure over night.

mtbr member
    ^^^ this is what I had to do as well but already had the adapters and core remover tool in preparation before I started.