Trail King 2.2 Protection on Guardian 2.0?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2015

Trail King 2.2 Protection on Guardian 2.0?

I'm about to go crazy trying to find something already posted about this! I know the MKII is narrow in the 2.2, but not sure about the TK 2.2? Even if it's not narrow or otherwise, does anybody run the Trail King 2.2 Protection/black chili on the rear of a Guardian 2.0? Seems like the Guardian 1.0 had more clearance issues than the 2.0, but I'm curious about this.

If it can't be done, what similar tires will fit? The SB8's just clog up around here.

Also, I like the Forte Pisgah on my 26"... Does the 29x2.2 fit with the Guardian 2.0?

Thanks,
    Mike

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    go to Dirt Merchant's website, Washington state, and they have tested a number of tires. Think they tested the Trail King. I own a Seeker and have changed the tires. I went with 2015 Nobby Nics in 2.35 size. They fit fine front and back. Tire fit is tricky, because tires aren't the exact size they are labeled. My NN are 2.30 wide and the Geax AKA's that came stock are 2.25 wide (labeled a 2.2 I think). I would say you can fit up to a 2.4 tire on the front and a 2.35 max on the rear (assuming they are not larger than their label).

To be sure you have to measure a tire and have a similar width rim. Kind of a PITA, but be a little conservative and it will work out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Interesting... You also have X5 FD, although 2-speed, so it should be the same? Stock, I've got ~3/8" or maybe close to 1/2" between the FD and the tire, with the 2.1 small block 8's. Seems like I could go a little bigger, but I've seen stuff on the forums about the Guardian (1.0, primarily) having tire clearance issues such that you could run any 2.1 tire, but only some of the less aggressive 2.2 tires. Not much about the Guardian 2.0, though.

Mike

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I talked to Eric at Airborne, this morning, and he said while they don't have a matrix or anything, that he's got a set of winter wheels with Nevegal 2.2's on them, and they fit fine. Now, I just need to figure out if I'm just getting the nevegal or what the size difference is between the Nevegal 2.2 and the TK 2.2

Mike

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Just for posterity, the Nevegal 2.2 fits fine. There's ~1/4-3/8" to spare. Even with the knobs, it's not much wider than the 2.1 Small Block 8.