Torn - questions.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Torn - questions.

Barring a return of the Hobgoblin 19" frame I am looking at the Evo or the Hobgoblin.

My main task is to ride 4.5 miles to work daily, there is a park between (Southeast Denver, east of DTC) and I plan to slide through the trails daily.

I just want something that is going to be efficent (enough) hence the 29" and also fun to ride. I am torn on whether or not the full suspension is something I'll end up with buyers remorse or if others experience is that the riding I am going to be doing doesn't really warrant it.

Let me know your thoughts! (Especially if you think the 19" will ever come back) so I can pull the trigger and get this thing here this week!

Thanks!

- Matt

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Dual suspension is nice, but for an everyday grind a hard tail might be best. They are less maintenance and more bang for the buck. I loved my dual suspension bikes but I never worried about pivot points wearing on a hard tail. I have the Toxin on my dream list, I think if I was looking for the everyday bike I might go with a hard tail. Others might disagree, just my 2 cents.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    That was my thinking as well, the Toxin is also 7" of travel and I don't want to have to peddle that daily. The new rumored 650b would be more int eh ballpark but I can't wait to see sadly.

CoolArrow
    For your intended use, full suspension is probably overkill, especially the Toxin - which is not really intended as a point a to point b bike, but more for gravity orientated circumstances. You'd be comparatively miserable commuting on it.

The new 650b bike would probably be overkill as well. Unless your commute is quite bumpy, or you have a bad back, a hardtail will serve you much better. Lighter, more efficient pedaling, and probably a better bang for buck.

For a fun commuter than can handle the rough, I'd go with the Goblin EVO...
    Cool BandolArrow

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jhazard View Post
    For your intended use, full suspension is probably overkill, especially the Toxin - which is not really intended as a point a to point b bike, but more for gravity orientated circumstances. You'd be comparatively miserable commuting on it.

The new 650b bike would probably be overkill as well. Unless your commute is quite bumpy, or you have a bad back, a hardtail will serve you much better. Lighter, more efficient pedaling, and probably a better bang for buck.

For a fun commuter than can handle the rough, I'd go with the Goblin EVO...
    I completely agree with Jerry, hardtail and the Evo is a tough bike to beat. I would go between the Goblin and Evo and just weigh how much hard off road you will do to make the final call.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by RSDSav View Post
    I completely agree with Jerry, hardtail and the Evo is a tough bike to beat. I would go between the Goblin and Evo and just weigh how much hard off road you will do to make the final call.
    I am just going to go Evo and then buy something a little more burly in a few more months when I've saved up. I did a lot of DH in Montana and that was my favorite style but for a night ride and just overall daily drive the Evo is going to be less maintenance, a more pedal friendly beast for a utilitarian goal. I can rip through the nicely groomed trails between and not worry, I have a few curbs, roots and stumps between. Nothing I couldn't do on a BMX if I wanted to cope with that any longer.

Thanks for the advice, whenever I go to make a big purchase I make up my mind quickly (Evo) and then waffle endlessly for no reason, only to come to the conclusion I made within a few short hours of research.

Thanks all! Bike hopefully arrives midweek!