TINY Airborne B-29- Mtbr.com
    giddy up!

TINY Airborne B-29

I just recently finished building up a small B-29 for my sweet lady friend. It took us quite a while to figure out if it would fit, whether or not she'd have any standover, blah blah blah. We'd been looking at a few different frames and a few different builders trying to figure out what the best options were. MikeC contacted me at some point and mentioned that he was looking to get rid of Lenore's Airborne. After checking the specs on the Airborne site and asking Mike way too many questions we finally decided that it was worth a try.

The frame arrived and immediately looked smaller than I had expected...very encouraging. Encouraging because Carol Ann is all of 5'1". Short....very short. I had enviosoned all sorts of compromises that would have to be made in order to get a 29er to fit her...short fork, mega drop stem, super-v top tube...this type of stuff. In the end none of that was necessary...we were able to get a great fit with a no-offset post and a 75mm -5 stem. We built it up with the following-

16" Airborne B-29.
    Monkey fork.
    SunRace hubs on WTB speedmasters(no longer made?)
    Red king headset.
    Control tech post and stem.
    170 race face turbines, sq. taper with 20-30-42.(awesome ebay score, 40 brand new)
    X-9 derailleur and shifters
    xt front
    Race face sq. taper bb
    Koski v-brakes
    Cane creek levers
    Bonti flat bar
    eggs
    WTB saddle

The bike weighs in at 23.8 or soo with steel motos on it. Not bad considering that all the parts were laying around unused. With new wheels and tires we could lose at least a pound...easy. That'll be the next project.

Anywho...none of that matters if you don't ride it. We headed out for a 50 mile loop on the Santa Ana River Trail as a shakedown. She seemed to feel comfortable on it right away and it didn't seem like there was much of a break in period. Riding next to her the bike looks awesome under her and it visably fits her very well. It was really fun and exciting for me to see her riding what I feel is the perfect trail bike for me...only in a smaller package.

She definitely isn't a tech geek so you won't hear her jabbling on about head angles or using terms like twitchy, stable or sluggish. She will tell you that she thinks it's just as maneuverable as her Yeti ARC....which is quite a compliment when you know how much she loves that thing:-)

Sooo, that's that. I'm really excited for her to have a bike that will support her riding style and hopefully help her into the next level. She's grown as a rider soo much over the past year...from an enthusiastic recreational rider to a strong, self sufficient mountain biker. It'll be fun to see what she can pull off with this bike. I think there are a few 100 milers calling her name within the next year.

A few pics for your viewing pleasure.....I'll try to get some bike shots in the next few days.

Good Night:-)

B
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by donkey; 07-11-2005 at 10:30 PM.
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Hehe....
    she's as small as i am big!
    ready for the painfest?

giddy up!
    Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    ready for the painfest?
    Ready as I'll ever be...Bring it! Will the lenz be ready or are we doing this on singles?

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by donkey
    Ready as I'll ever be...Bring it! Will the lenz be ready or are we doing this on singles?

B
    I have neither at the moment.
    The Vulture is waiting for the LBS to make the travel adjust on the Reba.
    The Lenz is loaned out to the guy who loaned me the Moots.
    Maybe the Moots? Ugh, 26" wheels.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Nice....

Very nice Donkey!

So is the bike

Looking forward to see some detailed pics.
    The grass is always greener where the dogs are shitting ~Soundgarden~

rider
    Jan 2005

Painfest??

Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    ready for the painfest?
    Please define painfest. I'm just a sucker for suffering inducing bicycle rides!

Fine B-29 BTW. But I thought you knew that the bigwheels are for folk over 6' only?

29erchico

giddy up!
    Quote Originally Posted by 29erchico
    Please define painfest. I'm just a sucker for suffering inducing bicycle rides!

Fine B-29 BTW. But I thought you knew that the bigwheels are for folk over 6' only?

29erchico
    Try telling her that:-)

The "painfest", as Padre dubbed it, will be around 60 miles with an unthinkable amount of climbing. I'm not sure how much but it'll be up there. It should be a good long day. Loooong. If you're ever in SoCal looking for a flogging let us know...there's quite a few good climbs around here:-)

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

rider
    Jan 2005

This fall your on!

As long as you can promise me 6000'+ of climbing in those 60 miles I'm in! Have to ride lots more of that low elevation climbing to equal the high altitude abuse factor

I have read you two guys post for some time and think that you both are either hammering fools or BB posers. Prefer the former theory.

I'm down at the folks in the Monterey Bay often. Is there any sweet mega-riding in between your stomping ground and the central coast that we could meet at?

Or, if you get the urge for some serious high mountain riding how about coming up here to play in Downieville or Tahoe (North Shore prefered). I know lots of epic rides there.

Ever done the Cowell Plunge? I'd really like to try that one this year.

29erchico

Recovering couch patato
    Wow, that's cool! A comfortable fit on a stock 29"er for a 5'1" rider, just amazing.
    Ah, let's do the math. Myself I'm 6'4", so to have proportionate wheels to her setup, they'd have to be...

(76/61)x29=36.13" Whoohooo!!! And the proportions actually look really cool on her. It will be quite a task to try and endo that bike.
    She likes it even as a rigid? Great build!

giddy up!
    I think that we should be in the 9,000 to 10,000 ballpark....I'll look into that and get back to you...it would be fun to know.

As for making the trip down....if you're looking to come down for a good long ride wait until the spring and come down for the vision quest. 52 miles, 11,500 feet. That should get you your fix!

I've never ridden up your way.....I'd certainly like to. I had hoped to make in to Downieville this year but the Brianhead 100 will prevent any possibility of that. Bummer.

What constitutes a long epic up there? You must have tons of long rides and long climbs with all of that open land around?

B

Quote Originally Posted by 29erchico
    As long as you can promise me 6000'+ of climbing in those 60 miles I'm in! Have to ride lots more of that low elevation climbing to equal the high altitude abuse factor

I have read you two guys post for some time and think that you both are either hammering fools or BB posers. Prefer the former theory.

I'm down at the folks in the Monterey Bay often. Is there any sweet mega-riding in between your stomping ground and the central coast that we could meet at?

Or, if you get the urge for some serious high mountain riding how about coming up here to play in Downieville or Tahoe (North Shore prefered). I know lots of epic rides there.

Ever done the Cowell Plunge? I'd really like to try that one this year.

29erchico
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

giddy up!
    Yeah, we were a bit surprised as well. As it turns out the standover clearance is basically the same as her beloved Yeti and the cockpit length is identical when paired up with the shorter stem.

As for the rigid fork....she's been into it for a little while now and has been riding her SS and geared bike this way. It started out as a whim on her SS but she took to it and asked that her geared bike be setup the same way......fine with me:-)

I can't help but think what an ultra light wheelset would do for this bike......that'll be the next project:-)

B

Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    Wow, that's cool! A comfortable fit on a stock 29"er for a 5'1" rider, just amazing.
    Ah, let's do the math. Myself I'm 6'4", so to have proportionate wheels to her setup, they'd have to be...

(76/61)x29=36.13" Whoohooo!!! And the proportions actually look really cool on her. It will be quite a task to try and endo that bike.
    She likes it even as a rigid? Great build!
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

Recovering couch patato
    The great thing about wheels for light ladies, is that you can make them light for cheap. DT Revolution spokes should be just fine, and so are narrow road rims. Didn't IRD make some budget lightweight rims?

giddy up!
    My thoughts exactly. I have a 98 gram coda hub I picked up on ebay for $15 and a gt/hadley rear at 280 grams for $25. Now, throw some revolutions on there and a set of open pros...very nice!

I imagine if I watched the grams in the wheel build and went to ignitors over the moto's it could be well over a pound lost.....definitely worth it!

B

Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    The great thing about wheels for light ladies, is that you can make them light for cheap. DT Revolution spokes should be just fine, and so are narrow road rims. Didn't IRD make some budget lightweight rims?
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

Recovering couch patato
    I personally don't like Open Pro's so much because they "waste" a lot of weight on double eyelets. Also, don't buy before you weigh, as they seem to have gotten heavier over the years.

This place needs an enema
    Looks great, Brian. Sounds like you're both pleased with it so far. Really happy that it worked out for you.

Please put up more pics of the ride when you get the chance.

When you get around to building up the new wheelset, drop me a line--I've got an idea or two on how best to do it...

With new, very light wheels, I've got Lenore's Leviathan down to 24 even, and that's with standard 29" tubes. Didn't trust the tubeless for her anymore...

Cheers,

MC

The Duuude, man...
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    With new, very light wheels, I've got Lenore's Leviathan down to 24 even, and that's with standard 29" tubes. Didn't trust the tubeless for her anymore...

Cheers,

MC
    MC, I've been running Salsa Superlite 29er tubes with no issues...maybe a way to snip another little bit off that 24lbs mark?
    FS: Everything

rider
    Jan 2005

Epic?

Quote Originally Posted by donkey
    What constitutes a long epic up there? You must have tons of long rides and long climbs with all of that open land around?B
    Anything that whips on me so hard that I can't ride for at least two days afterwards is an epic.

Super long rides are really easy to put together, but they end up being mostly fireroads. That's why I like doing big loops in the Tahoe and Downieville areas: heaping helpings of awsome singletrack can be included in the mix.

What is nice is that there are lots of water sources in the Sierras so I just carry my filter and refill as needed. This helps because you really have to carry extra clothing as the weather can change on you super fast.

I carry premixed and measured ziplocs with 100g of carbs (Cytomax prefered), about 35g of whey protein (extra L-glutamine added) and a heaping teaspoon of grapefruit pectin powder (soluble fiber & potent antioxidant). As long as I keep drinking one bottle of my custom go juice an hour,and a lot of plain water along with it, fatigue does not seem to become an issue for at least the first eight hours.

This summer is the beginning of my 21st year MTB riding, so I have managed to figure out a few things...

29erchico

Appalachian Singletrack'n
    Rock’n the Knox Rev jersey in Cali !!!

The bike looks great cant wait to see it in person. I never realized she was only 5’1”, that head of hair gives her a couple inches for sure. Now lets get that thing shipped to TN so she can get ready for the Offroad Assault on Mount Mitchell.

giddy up!
    Mike-

Very pleased. Thanks again for all your help.

I'll definitely hit you up when I get ready to build up some light wheels for it....It sounds like you've been doing some tinkering with Lenore's wheels?

I'm working on some bike shots....my camera is acting up..actually it isn't working at all. We'll have to get to the bottom of that. Until then, here's some more pictures that don't give you any idea what the bike looks like:-)

I think the bike looks awesome built up with the short negative stem and flat bars. I ended up stripping off all the decals and scotchbriting the whole from for a more matte look. Carol Ann wasn't really into the pinup girls so we decided to give the frame a bit of a makeover. We ordered new decals from airborne and trimmed off the pinup girls and most of the swoopy design type stuff. It's just the simple airborne downtube decal now.....looks classy. The scotchbrite worked so good that it almost removed all but one or two of the larger scratches on the d-side seatstay. All in all it looks like new.:-)

B

Looks great, Brian. Sounds like you're both pleased with it so far. Really happy that it worked out for you.

Please put up more pics of the ride when you get the chance.

When you get around to building up the new wheelset, drop me a line--I've got an idea or two on how best to do it...

Cheers,

MC
    Last edited by donkey; 07-12-2005 at 08:01 PM.
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

giddy up!

They're not great but they're better than nothing.

Here yar.
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

This place needs an enema
    Yep, I've gotten Lenore's wheels as light as I care to go. I'm fairly conservative with wheels--I'd always much, much rather have an overbuilt set than underbuilt--but even still her wheels are now down to 1490g. Could get them about 30g lighter with a little more creative choices, but then they'd lose some durability and there's just no point to that.

Funny that you/she got rid of the pinup girl. Lenore didn't care for them either and she acetoned them off of her Airborne Dreadnought. The pinup girl has an official name--Miss Fire. Lenore asked the guys at Airborne if they'd come out with a pinup guy, then she suggested the name Private Underpants. They didn't think it was funny, but we sure did...

I just got Lenore a Wily fork with ultralight true temper tubes (for her SS). It's super pinner-svelte looking with tiny tubes, adds a ton of class over the KM fork that was on there, and saved almost 200g in total weight. I know that the tubes were rare and getting rarer, but Brad might still have a few left if you contact him in a hurry.

Enjoy the ride.

MC

giddy up!
    Yep, I've gotten Lenore's wheels as light as I care to go. I'm fairly conservative with wheels--I'd always much, much rather have an overbuilt set than underbuilt--but even still her wheels are now down to 1490g. Could get them about 30g lighter with a little more creative choices, but then they'd lose some durability and there's just no point to that.

Funny that you/she got rid of the pinup girl. Lenore didn't care for them either and she acetoned them off of her Airborne Dreadnought. The pinup girl has an official name--Miss Fire. Lenore asked the guys at Airborne if they'd come out with a pinup guy, then she suggested the name Private Underpants. They didn't think it was funny, but we sure did...

I just got Lenore a Wily fork with ultralight true temper tubes (for her SS). It's super pinner-svelte looking with tiny tubes, adds a ton of class over the KM fork that was on there, and saved almost 200g in total weight. I know that the tubes were rare and getting rarer, but Brad might still have a few left if you contact him in a hurry.

Enjoy the ride.

MC
    Very interesting about the true temper blades...I may just look into that. I lighter smoother fork would be one of the only changes I would make to the bike. I have a Walt fork heading my direction as we speak and I'm anxious to ride it and see how much better it can be than the monkey.

What did you end up building her for wheels? DT road rims?

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

giddy up!
    It's getting handed over to the man in brown either today or tomorrow. Makes me nervous every time!

Should be a good bike for Oramm.

B

Quote Originally Posted by Endomaniac
    Rock’n the Knox Rev jersey in Cali !!!

The bike looks great cant wait to see it in person. I never realized she was only 5’1”, that head of hair gives her a couple inches for sure. Now lets get that thing shipped to TN so she can get ready for the Offroad Assault on Mount Mitchell.
    www.thepathbikeshop.com