Threw a Manitou fork on my Guardian!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Threw a Manitou fork on my Guardian!

Hey Guys! First post here. So I got my Guardian 2.0 last summer, and absolutely fell in love with mountain biking. However, after a few months it seemed like the XC28 fork was the thing holding the bike back. So after a few weeks of searching Ebay, I got a killer deal on a new Manitou Marvel Pro 100mm (with the remote lockout). Sadly I didn't have time to get out and ride today, but when I do i'll be sure to post an update!

Based on the parking lot squish test, it's gonna be real good though

Threw a Manitou fork on my Guardian!-0502151441.jpgThrew a Manitou fork on my Guardian!-0509151414.jpgThrew a Manitou fork on my Guardian!-0509151415.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    It looks great friendo! I'm a fan of the gold tubes, sadly my Evo came with black ones tho I don't like such "bling" for the most part. What made you go with that fork? Was it just price?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    That steerer looks very long. Did you cut it? It's personal feel but it looks very long for my taste. I hope you like the new fork, good upgrade!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NekoPlasmid View Post
    It looks great friendo! I'm a fan of the gold tubes, sadly my Evo came with black ones tho I don't like such "bling" for the most part. What made you go with that fork? Was it just price?
    Well, price was certainly a factor, for sure. But a friend and I did some research into the damping technology for this fork, as well as the rockshox and Fox forks in this price range, and we really liked the manitou design. Plus, since this is the pro model it only weighs 3.5lbs. if I remember right it's like a full pound or two lighter than the XC28 the bike comes with.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RSDSav View Post
    That steerer looks very long. Did you cut it? It's personal feel but it looks very long for my taste. I hope you like the new fork, good upgrade!
    You would be correct! Since its a new fork, they just ship them with insanely long steerer tubes just so they never have to worry about it being too short. I took it to my LBS to have it cut down to the same length as the XC28 that it replaced.

mtbr member
    Nice!

Sent from my non using Tapatalk in 🇨🇦

mtbr member
    Hey! just wanted to post a little update since i was able to go out and hit a trail today. I swear it feels almost like a completely new bike. My initial impressions are that it's much smoother, and keeps the front tire in contact with the ground much better over rocky / rooty / uneven sections. Also, it's made the front end noticeably lighter, so it's a lot easier to get the front tire up over logs and bigger roots and stuff. 10/10 would recommend.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregwah View Post
    Hey! just wanted to post a little update since i was able to go out and hit a trail today. I swear it feels almost like a completely new bike. My initial impressions are that it's much smoother, and keeps the front tire in contact with the ground much better over rocky / rooty / uneven sections. Also, it's made the front end noticeably lighter, so it's a lot easier to get the front tire up over logs and bigger roots and stuff. 10/10 would recommend.
    Nice.

I might do the same with the Guardian I have laying around, if I can find the fork on ebay for a deal. I find them with tapered head tubes, not many straight, though I might do the exterior bottom headset cup if I can't find a straight one.
    Last edited by Westorbust; 05-10-2015 at 08:47 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Westorbust View Post
    Nice.

I might do the same with the Guardian I have laying around, if I can find the fork on ebay for a deal. I find them with tapered head tubes, not many straight, though I might do the exterior bottom headset cup if I can't find a straight one.
    Yeah, I definitely got lucky with finding the fork on eBay. I think it took me about a week of looking to find it after I decided I was going to get one. I would suggest just waiting it out to find the right one rather than dealing with converting stuff.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregwah View Post
    Yeah, I definitely got lucky with finding the fork on eBay. I think it took me about a week of looking to find it after I decided I was going to get one. I would suggest just waiting it out to find the right one rather than dealing with converting stuff.
    Yeah, not much to convert though, just the headset. Not that huge of a deal, besides, 1 1/8 straight steerer tubes are pretty much on the way out.

Hopefully I can find one.

Short-Change-Hero
    Manitou is a great company and their forks are underrated. If it has the Absolute or TPC+ take a look in the shocks and suspension forum for tuning guides on shim placement if you get brave. I have a 2011 Tower Pro 100mm that I love on my xc race bike.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    Manitou is a great company and their forks are underrated. If it has the Absolute or TPC+ take a look in the shocks and suspension forum for tuning guides on shim placement if you get brave. I have a 2011 Tower Pro 100mm that I love on my xc race bike.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Yep, it does come with Absolute+ compression and cartridge TPC rebound. I'm not sure that I'm nearly brave enough to do that though! What characteristics would you be trying to tune out/into the fork though out of curiosity? I can't imagine that it could get any better haha!

mtbr member
    I too am looking at a Manitou on ebay, same seller perhaps? The price seems to good to be true.

NEW 2016 MANITOU MARVEL PRO 29ER FORK, MTB( MILO, DISC ONLY, STRAIGHT, BLACK) | eBay
    it's a challenge some of us are ultimately worthy of.