Those who switched to 1x drive trains, how well do you like them??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2015

Those who switched to 1x drive trains, how well do you like them??

Iíd like to hear how those who switched to 1x drivetrains like them after logging some miles. Iíve been considering a 1x setup for my Goblin Evo which still has the original 2x10. My trails in Central Texas have some mild climbs. I spend most of my rides on the smaller 22 chainring and it gets me around. I rarely use its granny gear but its top end is too slow on the declines so I shift into the 36 chainring. Iíd be inclined to modify my Evo to a 1x setup if others can vouch that it has better shifting along with a better range of gears. Please comment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by cTxAggie; 02-21-2018 at 07:18 PM.

mtbr member
    I can only compare 2x9 and 1x11, since that's what I have on my bikes. My usual rides range from 300-1200m of elevation in 20-45km. Some of the climbs are long, loose and steep, and for a novice or out of shape rider would be hard on a single chainring drivetrain. Not a problem for someone who rides 2-3 times a week though.

My 1x has a 30t chainring and a 10-42 cassette on a 27.5 wheeled bike. It has less range than my other bike with a 2x drivetrain, but it's plenty and it's actually easier to use. This is very noticable on trails with constant changes in pitch where one may find themselves shifting all the time. A few pleasant side effects are the tidy cockpit and easy cleaning. The downside is increased wear, but that depends on use and maintanance.

I'm changing my other bike to 1x when funds allow, so I'ts safe to say that I'm a fan.

An affordable way to do this is use an existing 10sp rear derailleur with a Sunrace wide range 10sp cassette and a narrow-wide chainring of your choice.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015

Those who switched to 1x drive trains, how well do you like them??

Justwan, I think I will try that. My Evo has an X9 type 2 RD which Iíve heard will work with a 1x setup. Any idea what size NW chainring would go well with my 11-36 chainring?

mtbr member
    My first real upgrade on the QS Goblin was the 30T/1x10, with an 42T Expander ring and a clutch RD to back it all up. BEST - UPGRADE = EVER. Now I have four Airborne bikes all at 1x. No FD's allowed in this house!

Those who switched to 1x drive trains, how well do you like them??-12411214713_90767915bd_o.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Soul, good feedback. I was leaning towards a 42T expander but unsure what size NW to use but was leaning towards a 30T since I spend most of my time on my smaller chainring. Which size gear did you remove to make room for your 42T? Do you have any opinions on brands for expander or NW now that you have experienced them?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cTxAggie View Post
    Soul, good feedback. I was leaning towards a 42T expander but unsure what size NW to use but was leaning towards a 30T since I spend most of my time on my smaller chainring. Which size gear did you remove to make room for your 42T? Do you have any opinions on brands for expander or NW now that you have experienced them?

Well, a couple of factors play into the chainring size, such as elevation gain, elevation (I roll at 6K feet), and the overall speed you are looking for. I added the 16T, so there were two gears that I removed to keep the shifting smoother, 15T and 17T.

Since then, I have moved from the 30T to a 28T Absolute Black Oval for my knees, which is perfect for my riding/situation/age.

EDIT -- my QS setup is from One Up - the rest of my steeds are 11 speed GX/NX. I will say it has been a flawless setup over the last few years.

EDIT -- final, I swear! Check out this post I did last fall on the AB, 1220' all the way up.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ul_chicken View Post
    Well, a couple of factors play into the chainring size, such as elevation gain, elevation (I roll at 6K feet), and the overall speed you are looking for. I added the 16T, so there were two gears that I removed to keep the shifting smoother, 15T and 17T.

Since then, I have moved from the 30T to a 28T Absolute Black Oval for my knees, which is perfect for my riding/situation/age.

EDIT -- my QS setup is from One Up - the rest of my steeds are 11 speed GX/NX. I will say it has been a flawless setup over the last few years.

EDIT -- final, I swear! Check out this post I did last fall on the AB, 1220' all the way up.
    I saw that Oneup combo that comes with the 16T. Do you feel the 16T makes enough difference that itís really worth getting, or could most get by without it?

Iíve been researching ovals as well but intended to put that on the back burner. The elevation change on my trails are usually under 300 feet.

mtbr member
    I saw that Oneup combo that comes with the 16T. Do you feel the 16T makes enough difference that itís really worth getting, or could most get by without it?

Iíve been researching ovals as well but intended to put that on the back burner. The elevation change on my trails are usually under 300 feet.

At first I didn't use the 16T as it wasn't readily available at the time the 42T were coming to market. I could only find a 16T Shimano cog, which all it did was make noise. Once the 16T finally came out, I installed it for the simple fact that I hated the big jump when it came to shifting. Going from 19 to 15 was just too clunky for me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Sunrace MS3 11-42 has peaked my interested, being that its about the same price as an expander. How does one verify that it will fit my Evo, other than it saying it fits most current SRAM derailleurs and freehubs?

mtbr member
    Sunrace MS3 11-42 has peaked my interested, being that its about the same price as an expander. How does one verify that it will fit my Evo, other than it saying it fits most current SRAM derailleurs and freehubs?
    It will fit perfectly, you will just have to adjust the B-Tension screw so the rear derailleur will clear the 42T. I think that will be the only thing you will have to adjust once you install the cassette.

mtbr member
    I spend most of my rides on the smaller 22 chainring and it gets me around. I rarely use its granny gear but its top end is too slow on the declines so I shift into the 36 chainring.
    You mention spending most of your time on 22T ring... but then say you rarely use granny....isn't 22T ring granny?

I am in CT with typical up/down New England terrain...recently changed my Heckler from 3X9 to 1X9. With 3X9 I spent most of my time in middle ring (32T) but occasionally needed granny (22T) for steep climbs. I ended up getting 30T N/W Race Face chainring to split the difference when I went 1X9.

Those who switched to 1x drive trains, how well do you like them??-hecklerchainring.jpg
    Those who switched to 1x drive trains, how well do you like them??-heckler1x9.jpg
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...:thumbsup:

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Sturge, my MTB vocabulary is behind. Still learning. I thought granny meant the 36T on my cassette. Now I see granny is referring to the smaller chainring. Thanks for correcting me.

Iím going to give a 30T a try.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Couple more questions. Will I need to shorten my chain with this 1x conversion? Will the NW ring need spacers?

mtbr member
    Couple more questions. Will I need to shorten my chain with this 1x conversion? Will the NW ring need spacers?

You shouldn't need spacers, but you can re-use the chainring bolts for the new chainring. As far as chain length, you won't really know until you wrap the chain around the 42T, and then around the chainring, add two links.

Those who switched to 1x drive trains, how well do you like them??-chain.jpg