Thinking of ordering a Goblin EVO....help please- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 58 of 58
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    200

    Thinking of ordering a Goblin EVO....help please

    I'd like to order a Goblin EVO, but I am uncertain on size. Let me preface this by saying a while back I emailed Airborne and they suggested an 18" model, but they were sold out. I am not sold on the 18" model mainly because I'm impatient and can get the 20" sooner!! I am 6'0" and my inseam is roughly 32.5" using the book method. For the last 6 months I have been riding a 2011 Trek Marlin 19" that I bought used and the EVO looks like a much better value. I'm not really sure how I feel about the sizing as it is my first go around at Mt. biking, but if I had to guess I would say that it feels slightly big for me, but not uncomfortable.

    To my admittedly blind eye the geometries of the two bikes look similar. It looks like my 19" Marlin has the same 62.2 effective top tube as the 20" EVO. I was reading a site the other day(which I can't recall) that suggested always getting the bigger bike and using a shorter stem instead of the other way around, but every time I read something on here people always say to get the smaller frame.

    I think ultimately I'm just being impatient and can't wait to get a better bike, but if the 18" is going to be a better fit I'll wait for sure. Thank you for the help!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    130
    Such is the difficulty in buying bikes online, especially for people relatively new to the sport. 20 might be ok, you can change around stem/bar/seat to get a good fit. However, returning the bikes isn't very easy, and expensive if you aren't happy with it.

    If you want the 18, I'd just wait, but you'll probably pay more, since the Evo price right now is a sale to get rid of the old frames. I heard maybe the end of this month for many of them. They are sold out of nearly all of their popular sizes in most of their bikes and frames.

    Personally, for my riding style, I prefer getting the smaller frames, especially for 29ers. Everyone has a different opinion, however.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    200
    Actually they kind of screwed me Westor and I have an email from Airborne Support (Eric) saying that they will honor the sale price.

    I guess I should wait on the 18", does anyone know when the new stock will be in? I'm not always the most patient person!

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    57
    I'm about the same size as you and I ride an 18" Evo. I also came from a 19" Trek Wahoo.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by fattty View Post
    I'm about the same size as you and I ride an 18" Evo. I also came from a 19" Trek Wahoo.
    And how do you like it fattty? Is the fit good and does it feel pretty good riding? Do you ever wish you had went with the 20"? Thanks

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    11
    We have nearly identical measurements and I have a 20" Guardian. I'm comfortable on it, but I'm definitely borderline 18/20. I spoke to airborne and they told me I could have went either way.

    That said I wish I bought an 18. While comfortable, it just feels large but that could just be because it's my first 29er. I also wish I either purchased a seeker or goblin. Maybe after this season I'll sell and upgrade. But if I don't sell, I'm not unhappy with my 20. I'm an airborne customer for life, that's for sure. I adore my bike.

  7. #7
    Squ-eti
    Reputation: mccartney7499's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    265
    can't help much with sizing (I'm 5'6", 30" inseam), but I can say that if you're considering the EVO in it's current rendition,and think you can fit the 20"...it's a great bike and a ridiculously good deal. I've had mine for a couple months now, and each time I take it on dirt I'm all grins ear to ear. Really impressed with what the EVO is capable of.
    "Trails? Where we're going we don't need, trails!"


  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperStang View Post
    And how do you like it fattty? Is the fit good and does it feel pretty good riding? Do you ever wish you had went with the 20"? Thanks
    It feels like it fits me well. I'm still pretty novice at bikes, but I certainly don't feel like it's too small. It actually feels a lot like by Wahoo as far at fit is concerned.

    I have a friend (who introduced me to Airborne) that rode a non-Evo 20" Goblin. I got to take it for a ride while my Wahoo was in the shop and it did feel a little large. I think if you got a 20", you'd probably be fine, but you might want to change the stem and bars to be a little less stretched. The standover on the Evo is a little higher than a similarly sized non-Evo, and his 20" was probably at (or even above) the upper limit for me.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    9
    I was told that they should be getting guardians, seekers and goblins back in stock late May/early June. Of course that wasn't a guarantee just an estimate, and I don't know if that includes the evo. I ordered a seeker on 4/10 and was later told it was sold out so I am waiting for them to get some bikes back in stock as well.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    200
    Feeling pretty disappointed right now! I was just reading Airborne's Facebook page and they say that the EVO won't be back until the end of this year!
    One of the biggest reasons that I can't wait to get another bike is so that my friends can use my current bike to ride with me. I have a few friends that want to ride, but don't have a bike and I saw this as a perfect opportunity to kill two birds with one stone. It would allow me to upgrade my bike and give some of my friends an opportunity to find out if they would like to buy a bike of their own. I was hoping to be able to have a fun summer riding with some friends, but it looks like that may have to wait I'm not saying it's boring riding by myself, but I think it would be a whole lot more exciting and challenging riding with some friends!! Not sure what the plan is right now, but I'll be keeping an eye out.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    130
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperStang View Post
    Feeling pretty disappointed right now! I was just reading Airborne's Facebook page and they say that the EVO won't be back until the end of this year!
    One of the biggest reasons that I can't wait to get another bike is so that my friends can use my current bike to ride with me. I have a few friends that want to ride, but don't have a bike and I saw this as a perfect opportunity to kill two birds with one stone. It would allow me to upgrade my bike and give some of my friends an opportunity to find out if they would like to buy a bike of their own. I was hoping to be able to have a fun summer riding with some friends, but it looks like that may have to wait I'm not saying it's boring riding by myself, but I think it would be a whole lot more exciting and challenging riding with some friends!! Not sure what the plan is right now, but I'll be keeping an eye out.
    I was told just a couple of weeks ago it would be out the end of May. Now they are saying the other bikes won't be restocked until "mid-summer", and the EVO at the end of the year?

    They must be having some serious shipping/supply chain issues, or company issues.

    Honestly, if I were you, I'd just find another bike company if you really want a bike. No sense in waiting forever for an Airborne.

    If you're interested in the EVO, I'd recommend the Trek Stache 7. You can even grab a 29+ version of the Stache to jump on the + bandwagon, if you are so inclined. Not sure where you live, but Treks are sold just about everywhere. I have a friend that beats his to death, and it holds up to some serious abuse.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Westorbust View Post
    I was told just a couple of weeks ago it would be out the end of May. Now they are saying the other bikes won't be restocked until "mid-summer", and the EVO at the end of the year?

    They must be having some serious shipping/supply chain issues, or company issues.

    Honestly, if I were you, I'd just find another bike company if you really want a bike. No sense in waiting forever for an Airborne.

    If you're interested in the EVO, I'd recommend the Trek Stache 7. You can even grab a 29+ version of the Stache to jump on the + bandwagon, if you are so inclined. Not sure where you live, but Treks are sold just about everywhere. I have a friend that beats his to death, and it holds up to some serious abuse.
    Dam, where did you hear midsummer from? I have been waiting since 4/10 when I paid for the seeker, I was first told early May them early June and I agreed on both occasions, but I don't think I want to wait till the middle of July or possible later.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    130
    Quote Originally Posted by joer0952 View Post
    Dam, where did you hear midsummer from? I have been waiting since 4/10 when I paid for the seeker, I was first told early May them early June and I agreed on both occasions, but I don't think I want to wait till the middle of July or possible later.
    It's on their facebook page. Midsummer OR maybe earlier, I should have put that there as well. I don't think they know exactly when they can get them.

    Correct, the Goblin, Seeker, and Guardian will be restocked "mid-summer" or sooner (expecting June) and then the Griffin 27.5+ after. The Goblin EVO will be revised, updated, and released after all of these
    So the new Griffin won't be available until after June either, if one was looking to buy one.

    The mystical 27.5 Enduro is still out there somewhere too.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    9
    I have been watching their Facebook page and I didn't see that, all I have seen was late May/early June. I sure hope that it isn't extended, I ordered the bike and a bunch of accessories in early April then like 2 weeks after I ordered it I still hadn't received the bike so I called and was told it was out of stock. Now I have a bunch of stuff siting here for over a month now waiting for the dam bike. I know it isn't their fault and their nice guys, I just hope I don't miss the whole summer on a lost cause. I messaged them on Facebook earlier, but they haven't responded, I guess I will call tomorrow if I don't get a response because I figure in order for them to receive the bikes in early June they would have to ship from Asia this week.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    285
    I was waiting on the 650b dual suspension and decided to go another way after hearing it was going to be at least Interbike til it was released.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    200
    Looking at the geometry can anyone tell me which of the 18" or 20" EVO is closer to the frame size of a 19" 2001 Gary Fisher Marlin? When I look at the geometries the 20" EVO looks closer in size to my newbie eye.

    Here is the link for the Marlin's geometry.

    Here is the link for the Airborne's geometry.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    130
    Quote Originally Posted by joer0952 View Post
    I have been watching their Facebook page and I didn't see that, all I have seen was late May/early June. I sure hope that it isn't extended, I ordered the bike and a bunch of accessories in early April then like 2 weeks after I ordered it I still hadn't received the bike so I called and was told it was out of stock. Now I have a bunch of stuff siting here for over a month now waiting for the dam bike. I know it isn't their fault and their nice guys, I just hope I don't miss the whole summer on a lost cause. I messaged them on Facebook earlier, but they haven't responded, I guess I will call tomorrow if I don't get a response because I figure in order for them to receive the bikes in early June they would have to ship from Asia this week.
    You have to dig through the comments on their photos to find any responses from Airborne. It seems that's the best way to get an answer. To be honest, if I bought a bike and after not receiving it two weeks later, only to find out it was out of stock, only after you contacted them, I'd wouldn't be a happy camper either. Yeah, they are nice people, and it's probably not their fault, entirely, but it's not a great way to retain customers.

    Quote Originally Posted by RSDSav View Post
    I was waiting on the 650b dual suspension and decided to go another way after hearing it was going to be at least Interbike til it was released.
    I was waiting for the same thing, along with most everyone else apparently. That's ok, lots of nice bikes out there.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    130
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperStang View Post
    Looking at the geometry can anyone tell me which of the 18" or 20" EVO is closer to the frame size of a 19" 2001 Gary Fisher Marlin? When I look at the geometries the 20" EVO looks closer in size to my newbie eye.

    Here is the link for the Marlin's geometry.

    Here is the link for the Airborne's geometry.
    2001 or 2013 Marlin? You linked to a 2013 Marlin and asked about a 2001. The difference between a 2001 and 2013 are going to be huge.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    200
    My apologies, it's a 2011. Looks like same frame as the 2013.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    48
    I really hate to say it bc I've become a big fan of Airborne, but I think this is the beginning of the end. The delays in stock, poor communication, delays of new models, etc, all point to a company on the verge of going out of business. I'd be surprised at this point if they make it to the end of the year. Something tells me they're getting absorbed/dissolved into the Huffy corporate bubble.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    130
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperStang View Post
    My apologies, it's a 2011. Looks like same frame as the 2013.
    The 18" looks much closer.

    Edit: To be honest, these are questions Airborne should be answering if they want the sale. Have you tried to ask them yet? They seem harder to get a hold of, but you might get lucky.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by Westorbust View Post
    The 18" looks much closer.

    Edit: To be honest, these are questions Airborne should be answering if they want the sale. Have you tried to ask them yet? They seem harder to get a hold of, but you might get lucky.
    Honestly Westor I've been trying to get a hold of them for the last week and they don't call back or answer the phone. Yeah, the customer service aspect of Airborne has been absolutely terrible ever since they gaffed my order a few months ago!!! They "allowed" me to order the 18" EVO and then They refunded my money saying that their "IT" guys were "fixing" the site and it messed things up which allowed me to order the bike to begin with. I was so disappointed!! Still am actually!

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    130
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperStang View Post
    Honestly Westor I've been trying to get a hold of them for the last week and they don't call back or answer the phone. Yeah, the customer service aspect of Airborne has been absolutely terrible ever since they gaffed my order a few months ago!!! They "allowed" me to order the 18" EVO and then They refunded my money saying that their "IT" guys were "fixing" the site and it messed things up which allowed me to order the bike to begin with. I was so disappointed!! Still am actually!
    Sorry to hear about that. I hope they can get their act together.

    I'd try some other bikes out if you can, so you can have an alternative. I seriously doubt the new EVO will be anywhere close to that price, and none of those will be available until later this year, at least according to their facebook answers.

  24. #24
    Sawyer Gnome
    Reputation: Nuzzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    172
    Quote Originally Posted by SecretAgent View Post
    I really hate to say it bc I've become a big fan of Airborne, but I think this is the beginning of the end. The delays in stock, poor communication, delays of new models, etc, all point to a company on the verge of going out of business. I'd be surprised at this point if they make it to the end of the year. Something tells me they're getting absorbed/dissolved into the Huffy corporate bubble.




    Name:  Alice-facepalm.jpg
Views: 1829
Size:  15.5 KB
    Evil The Following
    Raleigh XXIX SS

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by Westorbust View Post
    Sorry to hear about that. I hope they can get their act together.

    I'd try some other bikes out if you can, so you can have an alternative. I seriously doubt the new EVO will be anywhere close to that price, and none of those will be available until later this year, at least according to their facebook answers.
    I hear what you're saying Westor, but they agreed to give me their current sale price when the new model comes out. That is why I'm almost willing to wait. I've been trying to contact them to see exactly what the upgrades will be and if it is worth me waiting for.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuzzy View Post



    Name:  Alice-facepalm.jpg
Views: 1829
Size:  15.5 KB
    I'm not sure what makes SA wrote worthy of a face palm. When a business doesn't answer the phone or return calls and less than 1/3rd of their affordable hard tails are in stock with no explanation, then people are going to wonder what the heck is going on.

    I just did a quick search of their website and here's what's available:

    Guardian = 0/4 sizes

    Goblin = 3/4 sizes

    Seeker = 1/4 sizes

    Goblin Evo = 1/4 sizes

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    285
    The west coast dock strike hurt so many bike companies. I know I am just getting some bikes back in the shop we needed. I bet Airborne is suffering too.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BigDaddyFlyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,836
    Quote Originally Posted by RSDSav View Post
    The west coast dock strike hurt so many bike companies. I know I am just getting some bikes back in the shop we needed. I bet Airborne is suffering too.

    While I don't have a stake in Airborne anymore, I will confirm that the company I work for now (in a different industry) has seen delays in shipping product to major customers due to the dock strike. While I don't know for certain if that's been contributory, there's a good chance that it may.

    In regards to getting in contact with them, I know that traditionally Memorial Day weekend is a long 4 day weekend for them (off Friday thru Monday). If folks have left messages anytime after 4pm on Thursday there's a good chance they are just getting back to them today.

    I hope no one minds me throwing my 2 cents in.

    Hope everyone had a great Memorial Day weekend and took the time to remember what the Holiday is all about!

    Jeremy
    Please Note: I no longer work for Airborne. If you have an Airborne question or problem please contact them directly.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    200
    Thanks for the reply Jeremy! Hopefully they'll get back to me soon.

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    200
    I was finally able to get a hold of Eric from Airborne today. He informed me of some of the upgrades that the EVO was going to have and also that it didn't look like they would be back out until spring of 2016. He had no problems answering any questions and overall was a very helpful and down to earth guy. He did talk me into going with the 18" bike and even though I'm going to have a hard time waiting I think it'll be worth it. I'll probably pick something up used this summer and then sell it when the EVO comes back out.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    84
    Lets take a real good look at this, an online only mountain bike company that is out of stock on practically all of their models by late spring/early summer. An online only company that is well known for slow to no communication, its NO bargain, ive bought 2 bikes from airborne and loved the bikes but never again its just not worth it

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    130
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperStang View Post
    ... and also that it didn't look like they would be back out until spring of 2016. He had no problems answering any questions and overall was a very helpful and down to earth guy. He did talk me into going with the 18" bike and even though I'm going to have a hard time waiting I think it'll be worth it. I'll probably pick something up used this summer and then sell it when the EVO comes back out.
    Holy $!&%, really? Next year? That's disappointing.

    Once you get ahold of them, yep Eric's a great guy. Super understaffed, it seems.

    I have 0 interest in the Griffin at that price point, but I'll wait and see if the Enduro model sees the light of day.

    In other news, I really like the Diamondback models right now....

    Have a great summer and, ride.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    200
    I agree with you Westor, I've noticed a lot of the Diamondbacks getting great reviews!

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    285
    Crazy that their website only mentions 16 out but I've emailed them and they said they were out of more sizes. Someone needs to update their website. I could not hold out on a dualie after hearing Christmas 2014, Sea Otter 2015, and now Interbike 2015. That's almost a year getting bumped back so far. I stood up for them for so long. I still think they have good products. My wife still rides her custom build Goblin. But it sounds like they are about to go a year without their popular Evo, entry level models, or their most anticipated complete in years (650b dualie). That lack of forward thinking blows my mind. If someone wants something they have in stock, great!

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    31
    I heard from them as recently as today that they'll have some bikes back by mid-June. I was asking specifically about the guardian, so can't say for sure, but would expect some of the most popular stuff is included in that timeframe. My speculative take is that as a small company, they're trying to focus on the heaviest demand first, which could push the evo and the 650b out, right or wrong. Obviously some folks will be unhappy if that's the case, but I also understand a small company with a lot of positive feedback has to face some tough choices on how to grow.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    130
    Quote Originally Posted by hadley.michael View Post
    I heard from them as recently as today that they'll have some bikes back by mid-June. I was asking specifically about the guardian, so can't say for sure, but would expect some of the most popular stuff is included in that timeframe. My speculative take is that as a small company, they're trying to focus on the heaviest demand first, which could push the evo and the 650b out, right or wrong. Obviously some folks will be unhappy if that's the case, but I also understand a small company with a lot of positive feedback has to face some tough choices on how to grow.
    Who knows? Airborne does, and they ain't talkin.

    I would have thought that the EVO was one of their more popular models. By judging how often it comes up here, and elsewhere, I'd say that would be accurate. I guess they are banking on people snapping up that Griffin thing. Maybe they will?

    Maybe the Guardian and Seeker are their bread and butter? I don't know.

    What I do know is that I wish it would stop raining so I can ride.

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    235
    i shot them an email earlier this week and heard back from them yesterday. They said the Hopgoblin wont be back in stock till spring 2016. Said it was getting a little bit of a overhaul and going to a 1x11, head angle tweak, and new colors.

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    362
    Its a shame whats going on at Airborne, they started out with such a bang. They had good communication, good response time to phone and email, web site was better, products were in stock, and shipping was fast.
    Basically none of the crap that happened with (original) Ibex and similar purchase direct companies that are now in the history books...

    It seems like every day there is a new story thats just another nail in the coffin of a once up-and coming company.

    Airborne Wake up!
    Poor response and communication
    No real voice on this forum Now that Jeremy is gone
    Most products out of stock in the peak riding season (late spring summer)
    Poor website
    Bad launce of a product the new 27.5 that seems like is just an average, geared hardtail that may not arrive any time soon.

    Im sorry to say up and coming seems more like down and going. I dont think its too late yet, but the present path is not a good business model!

    My .02
    26FS & 29Rigid... best of both worlds

  39. #39
    Squ-eti
    Reputation: mccartney7499's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    265
    seems like their sales outgrew their business model too quickly, they got caught with their pants down with not enough inventory to supply the demand, and are now scrambling/panicking to find something to throw into the market as quickly as possible (the griffin).

    to me it seems like in general there's been a resurgence in interest in mountain biking that I don't remember seeing since I got into the sport in the early 90's. new customers may be more comfortable ordering a bike online vs entering a bike shop(I've been mountain biking for over 20 years, worked in a bike shop for awhile, and I still get intimidated at times walking into some bike shops). this is part of the reason I think airborne saw such a surge in orders (though the ridiculous prices and free shipping I'm sure didn't hurt).

    sadly this is going to chase away alot of potential customers, but if they can stay afloat through these tough times I think they could go back to what they were, a niche supplier of quality bicycles at crazy good prices. the diehard fans will stick around. if airborne is still airborne when I'm ready for a new ride I'd definitely still consider them.
    "Trails? Where we're going we don't need, trails!"


  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pattongb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    741
    When I was pointing out these problems in March, fan boys were calling me an unhappy ******* who must live a miserable life.

    Forget the fact ive been in sales/retail most my life, know what im talking about (usually) and wanted an Airborne for years!

    I finally was able to get one, an EVO, even though I wanted a Goblin (I race XC) and the EVO has been nothing short of amazing.

    That being said. Until I see a turn around from this company, in regards to their Website, Customer Service, and Inventory; I wont be ordering another Airborne. Which sucks because if they can make bikes as good as the EVO in the future AND fix the before mentioned issues, man they could really be something.....
    People ask me all the time "who beat you up"? I tell them "a tree". They just look at me funny....

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    285
    Not again...

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pattongb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    741
    Quote Originally Posted by RSDSav View Post
    Not again...
    Seriously? Give it a rest. I dont see you harassing anyone else who has issues with Airbornes current problems.

    Geezus...
    People ask me all the time "who beat you up"? I tell them "a tree". They just look at me funny....

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    28
    Welcome back. I didn't think you could stay away. 😀. I hope everyone is allowed to express their opinions on this forum. That being said. You have expressed your opinion on multiple occasions. We get it. While you were impressed with the product you were less than impressed with the service. I am still waiting on the 650b Proto. I am getting concerned about Airborne's ability to deliver. But I'm still waiting! Want to know why? Check the prices on any 650b trail/enduro .bikes. If Airborne can deliver in the price range they are speculating they will sell a literal "boat load" of these. Specialized dropped the price of their stumpjumper fsr comp from $3400 to $2900. Want my guess as to why? Because little companies like Airborne are killing them. So you have a point about unanswered phone calls , messages, and e-mails but like you have said they have a great product. Can we please move on? Tell us about your last ride. Has your Evo been the bike you hoped it would be? Is it a good racing platform? I would love to hear those stories but please stop complaining we have heard you.

  44. #44
    Sawyer Gnome
    Reputation: Nuzzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    172
    Name:  tommy-lee-jones-movies-list.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  22.1 KB
    Evil The Following
    Raleigh XXIX SS

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    130
    Quote Originally Posted by coppertop View Post
    Welcome back. I didn't think you could stay away. 😀. I hope everyone is allowed to express their opinions on this forum. That being said. You have expressed your opinion on multiple occasions. We get it. While you were impressed with the product you were less than impressed with the service. I am still waiting on the 650b Proto. I am getting concerned about Airborne's ability to deliver. But I'm still waiting! Want to know why? Check the prices on any 650b trail/enduro .bikes. If Airborne can deliver in the price range they are speculating they will sell a literal "boat load" of these. Specialized dropped the price of their stumpjumper fsr comp from $3400 to $2900. Want my guess as to why? Because little companies like Airborne are killing them. So you have a point about unanswered phone calls , messages, and e-mails but like you have said they have a great product. Can we please move on? Tell us about your last ride. Has your Evo been the bike you hoped it would be? Is it a good racing platform? I would love to hear those stories but please stop complaining we have heard you.
    How long are you prepared to wait?

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by Westorbust View Post
    How long are you prepared to wait?
    I'm prepared to wait until I have enough cash saved to buy a good 650b slack geo trail bike. I'm OCD watching EBay at this moment and am tempted by a Trek Remedy 9. So we'll see. The Rocky Mountain Altitude is tempting with its adjustable geo. It looks like Airborne is jumping from XC over All Mountain straight into Enduro. Not sure I need 150-160 mm of travel. I think 130-140 mm would be plenty for what I'm capable of doing. The Santo Cruz 5010 is the most tempting.

  47. #47
    CoolArrow
    Reputation: jhazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,468
    Quote Originally Posted by pattongb View Post
    When I was pointing out these problems in March, fan boys were calling me an unhappy ******* who must live a miserable life.

    Forget the fact ive been in sales/retail most my life, know what im talking about (usually) and wanted an Airborne for years!

    I finally was able to get one, an EVO, even though I wanted a Goblin (I race XC) and the EVO has been nothing short of amazing.

    That being said. Until I see a turn around from this company, in regards to their Website, Customer Service, and Inventory; I wont be ordering another Airborne. Which sucks because if they can make bikes as good as the EVO in the future AND fix the before mentioned issues, man they could really be something.....
    Nothing in this thread in over a month, and someone has to come back in and talk smak for no reason. No prompt, no open-ended question unanswered. Just to stir the pot.

    The fact that you were "in retail" may not directly relate to running a mail-order bike company. Other than a direct to consumer website, I don't see the correlation. Retail is a broad stroke... Eh, doesn't matter.

    How is the EVO treating you? Are you racing it? Are you progressing skills or endurance, riding things you didn't before? Do you think made the right decision with the EVO, relative to the Goblin or waiting for the 650B bike?

    I'm on the other end of the spectrum... I'm saving for a Toxin, and hoping they don't go out of stock before I reach my $$$ goal. Fingers crossed!
    Cool BandolArrow

    Jerry Hazard website

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    31
    I ordered my guardian on Friday. . . overall, I'll freely admit it wasn't the ideal experience, but:

    1. I got responses to every email I sent. They weren't proactive, but they were responsive. It was less painless than say, an airline or the cable company, and for only having a few people, it was enough for me. And, while I can't verify, I feel like they gave me whatever information they had at the time (for instance, I knew exactly when the boat left china, when they thought the site would be updated, etc.)

    2. At least once I week I would peruse bike shops, craigslist, and other avenues, but Airborne still came out on top for value. That was the most challenging thing of all, but I feel like my options were a) wait it out, or b) pay more for a bike with lower specs/comps. . . and then I was approaching seeker level, and would start the game all over. Obviously, I chose to wait it out.

    3. Finally, I feel like if Airborne could do themselves one favor, it would be to get in the habit of putting information somewhere (FB, their site, etc.) consistently. Nothing they were going to do was going to get the bikes here sooner, but even just creating a place to go for updates would be a good step. And while it sucked waiting, I'm sure they're feeling some squeeze from everything being out of stock, and hopefully adjust the process to mitigate in the future.

    All in all, not ideal, but also not that big of a deal. I got answers when I asked, and now I have a bike en route, and can stop reading/discussing about their business practices and focus on their bikes. . . .

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by jhazard View Post

    I'm on the other end of the spectrum... I'm saving for a Toxin, and hoping they don't go out of stock before I reach my $$$ goal. Fingers crossed!
    Just a question out of curiosity Jerry, but why aren't you saving for the FS 650B that you are riding, or is that already yours? It seems like it would be a great do-it-all kind of bike?

    Just looking at the pics it looks that the bike that you are riding now would be a Capra killer, which is reported to be a great all-around bike.

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    28
    I guess I always thought Since you were on the flight crew Airborne gave you their bikes for free. Live and learn.

  51. #51
    CoolArrow
    Reputation: jhazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,468
    My relationship with Airborne is... special. I don't get everything for free It's bad form to go in to specifics, but lets just say the pre-production prototype I'm riding (well, frame/shock anyhow) is technically Airborne's, and they could call it home at any time.

    The 650b bike will certainly be in the category of the Capra... however, neither are freeride bikes. I've taken the Protoptype over and off of some huge terrain/features, but I wouldn't want to treat it like a freeride/park bike 100% of the time.

    Honestly, my Pathogen and the Prototype cover almost everything I would ever ride, but I live in a world where the best number of bikes is n+1 (AND I do have an SX Trail that I'm pretty fond of...)
    Cool BandolArrow

    Jerry Hazard website

  52. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pattongb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    741
    Quote Originally Posted by jhazard View Post
    Nothing in this thread in over a month, and someone has to come back in and talk smak for no reason. No prompt, no open-ended question unanswered. Just to stir the pot.

    The fact that you were "in retail" may not directly relate to running a mail-order bike company. Other than a direct to consumer website, I don't see the correlation. Retail is a broad stroke... Eh, doesn't matter.

    How is the EVO treating you? Are you racing it? Are you progressing skills or endurance, riding things you didn't before? Do you think made the right decision with the EVO, relative to the Goblin or waiting for the 650B bike?

    I'm on the other end of the spectrum... I'm saving for a Toxin, and hoping they don't go out of stock before I reach my $$$ goal. Fingers crossed!
    Wow man get over yourself. Apparently you arent paying attention. This thread was updated with a post BEFORE I added my 2 cents.

    You really need to get over yourself and your undying love of all things Airborne.
    People ask me all the time "who beat you up"? I tell them "a tree". They just look at me funny....

  53. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pattongb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    741
    Coppertop:

    thank you for your reply.

    I rode my EVO yesterday at a local trail that is extremely technical (at least for WI). Lots of punchy climbs that have narrow paths on steep inclines next to sidewalls that you wouldnt want to fall down. Rocks, branches, narrow bridges, very steep descents with twists and turns. The EVO handles all of it without breaking a sweat. The bike is as comfortable as my Giant FS and handles better than my Spec Stumpy did.

    I have to lean forward a bit more to keep the front end on the trail during sharp climbs, more than I had to on my XC bike but that is to be expected with the longer travel. The shifting has been sharp right out of the box and the X9 components live up to their reputation.

    Im still having problems with my front brake and rotor. Its going to cost me some money at the local shop to fix it, not sure how much yet, but I am disappointed that I will have to put extra money into something that should have been right when I got it. Obviously had I bought the bike from a shop they would have fixed it for free. Also im still dont have the thru axle lock on my front tire as it came loose and fell out within 2 weeks of having the bike. Since I havent had reason to take my front tire off since then it hasnt been a big deal. Obviously though it will need to be replaced.

    I am not racing this year (yet) due to an early season illness, and being 50 pounds overweight I am thankful I have the EVO because it is built like a tank and doesnt seem to mind my fat ass in the saddle.

    If I was to lob one more grenade at Airborne, it would be to question why I havent been contacted, either by phone, email, facebook, anything, about my experience and my thoughts on my purchase. You would think if you sold someone a $1200 product you would follow up on customer satisfaction. But whatever.

    Im going to ride my EVO again today and enjoy every damn second of it here in sunny WI. 72 degrees and nothing but bliss.

    Finally did I mention the EVO is just plain sexy? Its a 9/10 in the babe department by comparison. People stop to check it out and ask me about it all the time.

    Its a shame that if some of those people went home and looked at buying one they couldnt......(sorry I know that was a parting shot).
    People ask me all the time "who beat you up"? I tell them "a tree". They just look at me funny....

  54. #54
    CoolArrow
    Reputation: jhazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,468
    Quote Originally Posted by pattongb View Post
    Wow man get over yourself. Apparently you arent paying attention. This thread was updated with a post BEFORE I added my 2 cents.
    how it shows on my screen:

    Thinking of ordering a Goblin EVO....help please-dates.jpg

    Most recent post, according to that, was over a month ago. Maybe it shows different on your screen...


    You really need to get over yourself and your undying love of all things Airborne.
    Don't tell me what to do...
    Thinking of ordering a Goblin EVO....help please-road-gap-3.jpg
    Cool BandolArrow

    Jerry Hazard website

  55. #55
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by pattongb View Post
    Coppertop:

    thank you for your reply.

    I rode my EVO yesterday at a local trail that is extremely technical (at least for WI). Lots of punchy climbs that have narrow paths on steep inclines next to sidewalls that you wouldnt want to fall down. Rocks, branches, narrow bridges, very steep descents with twists and turns. The EVO handles all of it without breaking a sweat. The bike is as comfortable as my Giant FS and handles better than my Spec Stumpy did.

    I have to lean forward a bit more to keep the front end on the trail during sharp climbs, more than I had to on my XC bike but that is to be expected with the longer travel. The shifting has been sharp right out of the box and the X9 components live up to their reputation.

    Im still having problems with my front brake and rotor. Its going to cost me some money at the local shop to fix it, not sure how much yet, but I am disappointed that I will have to put extra money into something that should have been right when I got it. Obviously had I bought the bike from a shop they would have fixed it for free. Also im still dont have the thru axle lock on my front tire as it came loose and fell out within 2 weeks of having the bike. Since I havent had reason to take my front tire off since then it hasnt been a big deal. Obviously though it will need to be replaced.

    I am not racing this year (yet) due to an early season illness, and being 50 pounds overweight I am thankful I have the EVO because it is built like a tank and doesnt seem to mind my fat ass in the saddle.

    If I was to lob one more grenade at Airborne, it would be to question why I havent been contacted, either by phone, email, facebook, anything, about my experience and my thoughts on my purchase. You would think if you sold someone a $1200 product you would follow up on customer satisfaction. But whatever.

    Im going to ride my EVO again today and enjoy every damn second of it here in sunny WI. 72 degrees and nothing but bliss.

    Finally did I mention the EVO is just plain sexy? Its a 9/10 in the babe department by comparison. People stop to check it out and ask me about it all the time.

    Its a shame that if some of those people went home and looked at buying one they couldnt......(sorry I know that was a parting shot).
    I feel like I'm reading a post from two different people almost every time you make a post in here lately. One second you'll be praising and the next you're complaining like you'd rather toss the bike off a cliff. One thing here is, most of the stuff you are having issues with are not even Airborne components. The Rockshox Maxle, the Hayes brakes? That's stuff that if you have a real issue with you should contact the manufacturer in the end of things.

    The part of the bike Airborne actually has to do with, the geometry, and the frame are incredible, and the quality list of components that they manage to incorporate into the price point is also incredible.

    It'd be like faulting Ford because your brake pads on your car suck. They're not Ford brake pads so it doesn't make too much sense to be honest.

  56. #56
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pattongb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    741
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Rob View Post
    I feel like I'm reading a post from two different people almost every time you make a post in here lately. One second you'll be praising and the next you're complaining like you'd rather toss the bike off a cliff. One thing here is, most of the stuff you are having issues with are not even Airborne components. The Rockshox Maxle, the Hayes brakes? That's stuff that if you have a real issue with you should contact the manufacturer in the end of things.

    The part of the bike Airborne actually has to do with, the geometry, and the frame are incredible, and the quality list of components that they manage to incorporate into the price point is also incredible.

    It'd be like faulting Ford because your brake pads on your car suck. They're not Ford brake pads so it doesn't make too much sense to be honest.
    Obviously you dont read my posts you just wanted to add your 2 cents and jump on the bandwagon. Fine, let me help you out:

    I have never said I wanted to "throw my Airborne off a cliff". I have been nothing but complimentary about my EVO, and for good reason, its a great bike.

    See I have no bone in this race. If I was ANTI-Airborne I would hate the bike too, regardless of its performance. You can pretty much find fault in anything if you are determined to do so.

    My criticism, and in the last few months I have not been alone; has been of Airbornes business practices, or lack there of.

    AGAIN as i have said all along: making such great bikes at such a great price, I really do hope they get the rest of it together.

    Thanks. Now im going to go ride my EVO and have a ball. Hope you get a shot to ride today too.
    People ask me all the time "who beat you up"? I tell them "a tree". They just look at me funny....

  57. #57
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pattongb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    741
    Quote Originally Posted by jhazard View Post
    how it shows on my screen:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DATES.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	459.8 KB 
ID:	1002171

    Most recent post, according to that, was over a month ago. Maybe it shows different on your screen...




    Don't tell me what to do...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	road gap 3.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	132.4 KB 
ID:	1002173
    Sorry if im wrong on that. I get updates via my phone from Tapatalk and they usually only update when a thread has been posted to.

    Awesome pics by the way.

    Going to kill it on the EVO today, perfect shredding weather here in WI!

    No matter what, Airborne can always say they made one of the best bikes ever under $1500 in the EVO. I like to ride it around just so people gawk at it
    People ask me all the time "who beat you up"? I tell them "a tree". They just look at me funny....

  58. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation: toddre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2,389
    Quote Originally Posted by pattongb View Post
    Coppertop:

    thank you for your reply.

    I rode my EVO yesterday at a local trail that is extremely technical (at least for WI). Lots of punchy climbs that have narrow paths on steep inclines next to sidewalls that you wouldnt want to fall down. Rocks, branches, narrow bridges, very steep descents with twists and turns. The EVO handles all of it without breaking a sweat. The bike is as comfortable as my Giant FS and handles better than my Spec Stumpy did.

    I have to lean forward a bit more to keep the front end on the trail during sharp climbs, more than I had to on my XC bike but that is to be expected with the longer travel. The shifting has been sharp right out of the box and the X9 components live up to their reputation.

    Im still having problems with my front brake and rotor. Its going to cost me some money at the local shop to fix it, not sure how much yet, but I am disappointed that I will have to put extra money into something that should have been right when I got it. Obviously had I bought the bike from a shop they would have fixed it for free. Also im still dont have the thru axle lock on my front tire as it came loose and fell out within 2 weeks of having the bike. Since I havent had reason to take my front tire off since then it hasnt been a big deal. Obviously though it will need to be replaced.

    I am not racing this year (yet) due to an early season illness, and being 50 pounds overweight I am thankful I have the EVO because it is built like a tank and doesnt seem to mind my fat ass in the saddle.

    If I was to lob one more grenade at Airborne, it would be to question why I havent been contacted, either by phone, email, facebook, anything, about my experience and my thoughts on my purchase. You would think if you sold someone a $1200 product you would follow up on customer satisfaction. But whatever.

    Im going to ride my EVO again today and enjoy every damn second of it here in sunny WI. 72 degrees and nothing but bliss.

    Finally did I mention the EVO is just plain sexy? Its a 9/10 in the babe department by comparison. People stop to check it out and ask me about it all the time.

    Its a shame that if some of those people went home and looked at buying one they couldnt......(sorry I know that was a parting shot).
    Did you make any tweaks to the bike to make it more racer friendly?

Similar Threads

  1. Who are you ordering from?
    By mbell in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-15-2015, 09:02 AM
  2. Legacy Goblin v New Goblin
    By toddre in forum Airborne
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-02-2014, 01:57 PM
  3. goblin vs goblin evolution
    By 1maddog1 in forum Airborne
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-27-2014, 07:20 AM
  4. Thinking about getting an airborne goblin
    By Learux in forum Airborne
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-26-2013, 08:14 PM
  5. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-16-2012, 07:39 AM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.