Steel Airborne 29er- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Steel Airborne 29er

Maybe this has been discussed before...I tried searching this Airborne forum but couldn't find anything.

Is anyone else interested in an Airborne steel hardtail 29er.. Something similar to a Kona Honzo for example (but not as hideously ugly)?

Or maybe this would be outside of Airborne's niche?

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by WineDine29er View Post
    Something similar to a Kona Honzo for example (but not as hideously ugly)?
    I think the Honzo looks great. If you want a rideable, aggressive 29er hardtail with short chainstays, that's what it looks like.

That being said, I can't imagine why Airborne would make a steel frame, but then that Griffin came out of nowhere.

edit: I think steel is great, btw, but I don't see them doing it.
    Last edited by Westorbust; 11-05-2015 at 10:50 AM.

mtbr member
    I bet If enough interest/demand was shown for it, it may be a possibility.
    Braaap!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by midwestxmike View Post
    I bet If enough interest/demand was shown for it, it may be a possibility.
    Right after they make a fat bike!

mtbr member
    There was a post a year or two ago about future Airborne models, and in the topic was a steel Goblin. A few folks, myself included, were interested, but it didnt seem like many were.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I remember a thread where several people, me included, voiced the desire for a steel frame Goblin or similar bike...ended up getting a Niner...would have bought a Airborne if a steel frame was a option back then...seems us steal riding type dudes are really not a target area for Airborne.....a Airborne Fat Bike would be interesting as well...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBaldBlur View Post
    Right after they make a fat bike!
    I wonder if the Griffin, if it's ever released, will fill the fat bike void for Airborne. Or at the very least, testing the consumer market for a full fledged Airborne fatty. For the right price point, I'd be game. Same goes for steel as well, but I don't see that happening unfortunately.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyTx View Post
    I remember a thread where several people, me included, voiced the desire for a steel frame Goblin or similar bike...ended up getting a Niner...would have bought a Airborne if a steel frame was a option back then...seems us steal riding type dudes are really not a target area for Airborne.....a Airborne Fat Bike would be interesting as well...
    When I was at Airborne I lobbied for a fat bike and a steel SS 29er to be put into the development pipeline, but was shot down on several occasions. Management felt at the time that the markets and potential sales figures for both were too small.

I wonder if the Griffin, if it's ever released, will fill the fat bike void for Airborne. Or at the very least, testing the consumer market for a full fledged Airborne fatty. For the right price point, I'd be game.
    I believe I saw on my FB feed in the last few weeks that they are shipping the Griffin now. I haven't looked at their website to verify.

Jeremy
    Please Note: I no longer work for Airborne. If you have an Airborne question or problem please contact them directly.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    When I was at Airborne I lobbied for a fat bike and a steel SS 29er to be put into the development pipeline, but was shot down on several occasions. Management felt at the time that the markets and potential sales figures for both were too small.

I believe I saw on my FB feed in the last few weeks that they are shipping the Griffin now. I haven't looked at their website to verify.

Jeremy
    Seems things have changed since you left there....

mtbr member
    Probably.

Jeremy
    Please Note: I no longer work for Airborne. If you have an Airborne question or problem please contact them directly.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post

Jeremy
    Strange how they came out with a 27.5+, which was commercially very new, and ignored fat bikes all together. Fat bikes are all over here, but I rarely see 27.5+.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Westorbust View Post
    Strange how they came out with a 27.5+, which was commercially very new, and ignored fat bikes all together. Fat bikes are all over here, but I rarely see 27.5+.
    3.25 up front seems pretty fat to me, and I see the 27.5+ quite a bit out here in the desert along with people riding the bigger 4" fat bikes. I myself cannot wait to pick up a Griffin for myself and go chase some sand out here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    With the diameter of a 27+ and 29er being so close would it be possible to purchase an extra 29er wheel set for the griffin. I would use the 27+ for snow here in the Midwest and the 29er as my summertime hardtail.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ul_chicken View Post
    3.25 up front seems pretty fat to me, and I see the 27.5+ quite a bit out here in the desert along with people riding the bigger 4" fat bikes. I myself cannot wait to pick up a Griffin for myself and go chase some sand out here.
    I haven't seen one 27.5+ in the wild, besides a few at the local bike store. Personally, I think the + trend is a bit of gimmick. In 4 years are we going to be able to find parts or tires that fit these bikes? No? Just buy the next "big thing" when it comes out. Downhillers were putting 3" tires on their bikes a long time ago, so it's not really new.

Lot's of bandwagon mentality amongst bike companies, rushing out designs that replace "old" tech. It'll come back around to 26" at some point too.''

Personally, I'd love to see a steel frame anything that was moderately affordable. I like how they look, and ride. I'm not a fan of massive aluminum tubing. There's something incredibly elegant and classic about steel frames.