Started looking at the Guardian...then the Seeker...then the Goblin...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Started looking at the Guardian...then the Seeker...then the Goblin...

Where does it stop??

I actually went as far as to price out parts for the Goblin in case I wanted to build it up myself. Buying everything but wheels, stem and handlebars, and not including shipping, I'm already at $1250. Dammit Airborne for putting together amazing looking bikes at a great price.

I'ma gonna needta really think about how to 'splain dis to da ole lady....

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Here's a secret: it doesn't.

Enjoy your new X0.
    Eric

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I have to agree with Eric above, enjoy your HGXO. Or, get the goblin evo if you want to stick with a hardtail.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    If I go with the Airborne I think it's going to be the regular Goblin. Gotta set a budget at some point. It should probably be $1000, so I can stretch it to the Goblin.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Take a hard look at the evo. It has a lot of upgrades that definitely warrant the extra $400. There are a couple of threads with reviews in this forum if you're interested.

mtbr member
    You can also point out the six months to pay with no interest! My wife is the Comptroller for the school district, and that fact did the trick for me!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    So I just tell her it's a Goblin and forget to mention it's the Evo? I think I just need to put in some major overtime in the next month or so then revisit the idea.... Or Jeremy can throw in a discount for a Veteran is I order on 9/11??

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    That's exactly what I did and ended up buying a Goblin. The only thing that remotely held be back was that I prefer the color of the Seeker but around here I couldn't touch the specs of the Goblin for $1200. Hard to pass up.

mtbr member
    That is what I went through and eventually I ended up with the Goblin Evolution. I don't regret it one bit and if you are on the heavier side of the scale then try and grab the evolution as it has some awesome upgrades, mainly the fork and rear hub, that make it stand out over the other offerings in that price range. With that said I don't think you can go wrong with the Seeker or the Goblin.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    At 180 I think I'm a touch heavier than some but not a Clyde. Not sure what the cutoff is but I'm guessing around 200-ish.

I don't love the Blue of the Evo. I get that it's not cost effective to offer it in a bunch of colors and I don't think I'd let it effect my decision but I do like black, grey and red in general. Based on colors alone I'd buy the Seeker or Guardian first then the Goblin next. Based on specs I'd buy the Evo, of course.

mtbr member

I could be worse! I started looking at bikes around $300-400. Then I found Airborne. Checked out the Guardian. Liked it. Great value. Ultimately decided to get a Goblin. Then I kept looking at and ended up getting a HGXO too.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    i should just go ahead and order it, huh?

mtbr member
    Yes, order it!

I would have ended up with a Goblin instead of a Guardian, but I already had a great fork (Fox F29 RLC) and a darn good wheelset. I couldn't justify the extra $$ even if I could sell the fork and wheels, but you can if you are starting from scratch. No regrets! Buy it and ride the hell out of it!
    www.getbusylivin.org
    Salsa El Mariachi--SS
    Gone-
    Trek SuperFly FS 7
    Airborne Guardian
    Redline Monocog Flight

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I LOVE the blue, if it came on the Seeker (which I ordered and love) I'd def have opted for it. Trade ya frames?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Hey wait, my name is Matt. And I'm from Gainesville. Fate???

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyKreitzer View Post
    I could be worse! I started looking at bikes around $300-400. Then I found Airborne. Checked out the Guardian. Liked it. Great value. Ultimately decided to get a Goblin. Then I kept looking at and ended up getting a HGXO too.
    I was in the same exact boat but ended up going with a Guardian first, after a month I had an HGXO.

Speaking of HGXO, it's gray and black

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I like to see people passionate about their bikes. I haven't read a bad review/experience of an Airborne bike yet.

I'm torn between getting what would serve the purpose versus what I'd really like to have. I think I will steer clear of FS for now because I'm really just in the market for a hardtail specifically. There are plenty of HT options to keep me busy. Once I add to the stable it will be easy as the Hobgoblin is a clear choice for FS.

mtbr member
    Just order the Goblin EVO and be done with it.

Seriously, if you think you are going to be bitten hard by the mtb bug, then starting with the EVO makes total sense. You won't need/want to upgrade anything for awhile and if or some reason you decide to get out of the sport, the EVO will keep a better percentage of its resale value as the "Trail 29er" category is hot right now and I see used Stache's going for good money.

Jeremy
    Please Note: I no longer work for Airborne. If you have an Airborne question or problem please contact them directly.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I thought I wanted another hardtail too for simplicity of maintenance, weight, and pedal efficiency. After several months on the HG I'm glad I went the FS route as I've been crazy pleased with the bike's capabilities (which are much more than I can say for myself). If I were to get a hardtail it would be the Evo without giving it a second thought.

I'll echo Jeremy's comments about resale value. I sold my stock guardian for $50 less than I paid for it, and the gentleman who bought it was more than happy to pay that price after searching Craigslist for several weeks looking for a decent used bike at a decent price.

Airborne bikes are such a great value to begin with they aren't going to lose much in the used bike market when compared to other "big brand" bikes out there.

mtbr member
    The MTB bug is kind of like having kids. A parent can explain what it's like to have kids until they're blue in the face, but one can not truly understand until they have their own!

You start "here", realize you should have gone "there" and aren't truly happy until you end up "way over there".

My $0.02--
    Go for the black/green Goblin. Especially if you live in Florida! That bike will do everything you need and then some!! The spec is truly hard to beat for the $$ and that bike can last you for a long time!!

If you started at the Guardian, then liked the Seeker, what's another $250 or so for the Goblin? I know money doesn't grow on trees, but the fork on the Goblin is totally worth the extra $$. Plus, X7, better wheelset, and better brakes.

Buy it!
    www.getbusylivin.org
    Salsa El Mariachi--SS
    Gone-
    Trek SuperFly FS 7
    Airborne Guardian
    Redline Monocog Flight

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

My wife just said "Buy whatever you want." That is dangerous.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Would really consider one for my next bike but man those Avid brakes vs shimanos....
    Sure they get a great deal with SRAM but their brakes suck compared to shimanos.
    Other than that, hard to beat the value of Airborne bikes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

You could probably take them off and sell them then replace with Shimanos for minimal loss of that was a deciding factor.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Boondock77 View Post
    Would really consider one for my next bike but man those Avid brakes vs shimanos....
    Sure they get a great deal with SRAM but their brakes suck compared to shimanos.
    Other than that, hard to beat the value of Airborne bikes.
    Do you know that from personal knowledge, or "internet experience"?

I have NEVER personally had a problem with Avid brakes and personally like them. Yes it is true that some of the Avids at the Elixir 3 level and below sometimes have issues, but for the most part they are pretty good. I have several personal bikes with Elixirs on them and they do everything I ask of them.

Jeremy
    Please Note: I no longer work for Airborne. If you have an Airborne question or problem please contact them directly.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Riding a few different bikes with them.
    XO bike I rode they worked fine but were super loud.

i have bb5's on my bike. Wife has xt and man they are totally awesome. Quiet, tons of power and adjustable modulation.

mtbr member
    I had planned to get the Goblin, but my size was out of stock when I finally pulled the trigger. Since I didn't want to wait all summer I took a harder look at the Evo and decided it was worth the $400, particularly since I weigh 245 and I could get it immediately. Thankfully I really like the blue.

Swyped from my Droid DNA