So the Griffin really is mythical???- Mtbr.com
    Squ-eti

So the Griffin really is mythical???

Not that I'm interested personally. Already bought two bikes this year. If I even look at a third my wife's gonna kill me! Just wondering what happened to the, coming in June, 27.5 plus Griffin?

Airborne is such a tease!
    "Trails? Where we're going we don't need, trails!"

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I'm guessing it's related to the extended out of stock issues with the other bikes.

Patiently waiting for a Seeker while accumulating mods already.

CoolArrow
    Guessing they might come in with the Seekers?
    Cool BandolArrow

Jerry Hazard – website

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    So whatever happened to this bike? Summer is almost over, the EVO is still listed even though there will be no new bikes for a year, and the Griffin isn't even on their website.

Strange times. The mythical enduro model has yet to be seen either.

With Trek offering online sales, I wonder how that will effect Airborne. One of the downsides of my LBS is that they rarely have bikes I want in a size that fits me, but they'll "order it" if I want it. I set my own bikes up, but i see many here take their bikes to the LBS anyways, which is essentially what Trek is doing. Interesting times in the bike industry.

CoolArrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Westorbust View Post
    So whatever happened to this bike? Summer is almost over, the EVO is still listed even though there will be no new bikes for a year, and the Griffin isn't even on their website.

Strange times. The mythical enduro model has yet to be seen either.

With Trek offering online sales, I wonder how that will effect Airborne. One of the downsides of my LBS is that they rarely have bikes I want in a size that fits me, but they'll "order it" if I want it. I set my own bikes up, but i see many here take their bikes to the LBS anyways, which is essentially what Trek is doing. Interesting times in the bike industry.
    The Trek online sales model is far from ideal, in fact, it's far from as good as Airborne's (despite some peoples issues with Airborne's service). Trek, as much as it would like, won't put much of a dent in Airborne.
    Cool BandolArrow

Jerry Hazard – website

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jhazard View Post
    The Trek online sales model is far from ideal, in fact, it's far from as good as Airborne's (despite some peoples issues with Airborne's service). Trek, as much as it would like, won't put much of a dent in Airborne.
    Eh, I'm not so sure yet. I've seen people railing against it online, but we'll see what actually happens. I can understand why bike shops aren't fond of it, but it gives the customer a choice and a built and tuned bike at the end.

My guess is that they won't beat Airborne on price, but that's about it.

...and least Trek has bikes available.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Eh, I'm not so sure yet. I've seen people railing against it online, but we'll see what actually happens. I can understand why bike shops aren't fond of it, but it gives the customer a choice and a built and tuned bike at the end.

My guess is that they won't beat Airborne on price, but that's about it.

...and least Trek has bikes available.
    That's a exactly it, if Trek is going after that online buyer, the majority buy online for the increased value. Sure some may do it strictly out of convenience, inventory, or because of issues with their LBS, but until Trek cuts the middleman markup, I don't see it impacting airborne much at all. And I doubt trek will do this because it would be undercutting and alienating their dealers, significantly shifting their distribution model.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    They just posted a teaser photo on fb saying that the Griffin should be available in October.

CoolArrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerz_subbie View Post
    That's a exactly it, if Trek is going after that online buyer, the majority buy online for the increased value. Sure some may do it strictly out of convenience, inventory, or because of issues with their LBS, but until Trek cuts the middleman markup, I don't see it impacting airborne much at all. And I doubt trek will do this because it would be undercutting and alienating their dealers, significantly shifting their distribution model.
    For not being sold AT a dealer, THE dealer still seems to have to shoulder a lot of responsibility, at no real benefit. As it stands, TREK's model creates more work than it may be worth, whether they have bikes or not.

Saw that teaser photo. Wish I knew more...
    Cool BandolArrow

Jerry Hazard – website

mtbr member
    From what I read Trek will only ship to a trek lbs, for them to put together, so there's more added cost. They won't let you have it shipped to your house. So the lbs is prolly going to give just as much of the cold shoulder if you had them build any other frame up. I can't imagine it would affect Airbornes sales at all. Personally I like airbornes products better.
    Just a dude being a dude in the woods & Owner of Newark Bike Shop an authorized Diamondback Dealer.

My personal bikes:
    Airborne Seeker
    Airborne HobGoblin
    Airborne Goblin
    Airborne Toxin
    Diamondback Insight ( on the trainer )
    Evo Vantage 7.0

mtbr member
    I love my Airborne Goblin, no one I know or has seen my bike has ever heard of Airborne. I have to explain the whole Airborne thing to them and explain why I got so much bike for so little money.Sometimes they pull the"yeah, your bike is from china,thats why it's so cheap", then I point to the little sticker on their Trek,Giant, or Specialized frame that says"made in China", then I lol at them.

Airborne bikes ROCK!

mtbr member
    +1 there StinkBait - I love the looks I get with the Silver Goblin, and it's cool to have a bike that no-one else does around here. Suckers and their Specialized bikes....

mtbr member
    So the Griffin really is mythical???-griffinpreview.jpg

another sneak peek...

mtbr member
    I don't know why but I'm having a hard time getting excited about this bike

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by toddre View Post
    Not on the whole + band wagon? Me neither. I'd rather see a wider range of FS bikes, such as an X5 Hobgoblin or something similar to compete with the Giant Stance. Airborne has an excellent value proposition, has the hardtail range covered from low to mid-high, but the same can't be said for FS.

Anticlimax perhaps?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tiretracks View Post
    Anticlimax perhaps?
    Yeah, not really sure what it is. I'd love to see an updated HG. I'm old and broken so I need a fully. Would love to stay in the Airborne family but having a hard time...lol

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Not on the whole + band wagon? Me neither. I'd rather see a wider range of FS bikes, such as an X5 Hobgoblin or something similar to compete with the Giant Stance. Airborne has an excellent value proposition, has the hardtail range covered from low to mid-high, but the same can't be said for FS.
    I'm with that! I'd go for a hobgoblin with a lower cost fork like the XC32 or 30 silver, X5 drivetrain, etc. Basically, a Guardian with a slightly better fork. Motobecane does it for $1000 with a 30 Gold air fork: Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Motobecane Fantom 29Elite

I've got kind of a bad back, and so does my Dad. It would be nice to XC MTB ride just for enjoyment/exercise, without having to stand up most of the time, or having to spend $1600+ on a FS bike with higher spec components than you need. I know I can buy a frame and build it however I want, but piecing it together often kills the value.

Mike

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Yeah, not really sure what it is. I'd love to see an updated HG. I'm old and broken so I need a fully. Would love to stay in the Airborne family but having a hard time...lol
    That's pretty much what my upcoming post (that needs to be mod-viewed before it posts, probably because of a link in it) said... Be nice to not have to stand up most of the time, for my back.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bartonmd View Post
    That's pretty much what my upcoming post (that needs to be mod-viewed before it posts, probably because of a link in it) said... Be nice to not have to stand up most of the time, for my back.
    Can't wait to see it

mtbr member
    We have a couple new FS projects in the works including an updated HG! Unfortunately there will be a little wait but you should start seeing things pop up around spring '16
    Braaap!

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by midwestxmike View Post
    We have a couple new FS projects in the works including an updated HG! Unfortunately there will be a little wait but you should start seeing things pop up around spring '16
    Hope one of them is a ~$1000 FS 29" XC bike, to compete with Motobecane and Diamondback! That's about when I'll be in the market, anyway. Just bought a Guardian, and I'd get a rash of crap if I bought another bike so soon.

Mike

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bartonmd View Post
    Hope one of them is a ~$1000 FS 29" XC bike, to compete with Motobecane and Diamondback! That's about when I'll be in the market, anyway. Just bought a Guardian, and I'd get a rash of crap if I bought another bike so soon.

Mike
    $1k is tough. I'd gladly pay a little bit more for an Airborne vs Motobecane, but that one you posted does look good with all Deore/SLX gear, RS air suspension, WTB rims but cheapo hubs. I'd be happy with a $1400 price point while retaining air suspension, X5 or better components, and decent wheelset with quality hubs. Shave $150 off if using the current KT hubs used on most Airbornes.

Either way, glad to hear they're revamping the HG and it's nice to see quality FS bikes get closer to the $1k price point!

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    $1k is tough. I'd gladly pay a little bit more for an Airborne vs Motobecane, but that one you posted does look good with all Deore/SLX gear, RS air suspension, WTB rims but cheapo hubs. I'd be happy with a $1400 price point while retaining air suspension, X5 or better components, and decent wheelset with quality hubs. Shave $150 off if using the current KT hubs used on most Airbornes.

Either way, glad to hear they're revamping the HG and it's nice to see quality FS bikes get closer to the $1k price point!
    Yeah, I get it. I'd also pay a buck or buck-fifty (maybe 2, in this range) more for Airborne than MB! If the fork would change over (straight vs. tapered), you could buy a Guardian and a bare HG frame, swap all the stuff over, scrap the Guardian frame, and have a $1400 bike. Guardian already is X5 all over. Add a Lower end air fork or upper end spring fork, and subtract the trashed Guardian frame, and it's got to be ~$1200 or less, I would think?

We'll see what they come out with, I guess...

Mike

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Norco Announces 27.5+ Bike: The Torrent 7 | Singletracks Mountain Bike News

So the Griffin really is mythical???-torrent7.2.jpg

Pricing on the Torrent 7 is set at $1,450 for the 7.2 version and $2,425 for the 7.1 version. If you ask me, I say go for the Torrent 7.1–this build includes a Kind Shock dropper post, SRAM GX 1×11 drivetrain, and a 130mm RockShox Yari fork, all for under $2,500.
    Is it just me, or does this Norco look a lot more aggressive than that Griffin?

The bike companies are really amping up these 27.5+ bikes, and maybe they are the greatest thing since sliced bread, but I'm skeptical. Either way that Norco looks like it would give the Airborne a run for the money, even at $2400 for the nicely equipped one. Honestly, the $1400 version would be great and more along the lines on what I would expect the Griffin to MSRP at.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by JPanaccione View Post
    From what I read Trek will only ship to a trek lbs, for them to put together, so there's more added cost. They won't let you have it shipped to your house. So the lbs is prolly going to give just as much of the cold shoulder if you had them build any other frame up. I can't imagine it would affect Airbornes sales at all. Personally I like airbornes products better.
    What's going to effect Airborne sales is their ability to have bikes in stock and customer service.

Quote Originally Posted by s0ul_chicken View Post
    +1 there StinkBait - I love the looks I get with the Silver Goblin, and it's cool to have a bike that no-one else does around here. Suckers and their Specialized bikes....
    This the thing I really don't like about mtn biking. I've never seen so many rubber necking middle aged dudes trying to read the brand name on down tubes. Specialized makes great bikes and at least I can go to just about any dealer and get the bike I want, even if it costs me more money.

Good to hear. What happened with the Enduro model?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Norco Announces 27.5+ Bike: The Torrent 7 | Singletracks Mountain Bike News

Is it just me, or does this Norco look a lot more aggressive than that Griffin?

The bike companies are really amping up these 27.5+ bikes, and maybe they are the greatest thing since sliced bread, but I'm skeptical. Either way that Norco looks like it would give the Airborne a run for the money, even at $2400 for the nicely equipped one. Honestly, the $1400 version would be great and more along the lines on what I would expect the Griffin to MSRP at.
    The $1450 Norco has a 110 Raidon fork, 67* head tube angle, 420-427.5mm chainstays vs 69* Griffin head tube angle with 450mm chainstays and a Manitou Magnum Comp fork. You decide which is better.
    Norco did their homework.
    https://www.norco.com/bikes/mountain...-7/torrent-72/

So the Griffin really is mythical???-norco.png

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    The $1450 Norco has a 110 Raidon fork, 67* head tube angle, 420-427.5mm chainstays vs 69* Griffin head tube angle with 450mm chainstays and a Manitou Magnum Comp fork. You decide which is better.
    Norco did their homework.
    https://www.norco.com/bikes/mountain...-7/torrent-72/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	norco.png 
Views:	274 
Size:	318.1 KB 
ID:	1020289
    No contest for me, anyways. Airborne's choice of geometry is perplexing, given the trend for shorter chain stays and slacker head tube angles. That Norco just looks like it screams and the price and specs are right, imho.

mtbr member
    That would be great! I am looking for a FS under $3k for next year. I am so impressed with my EVO I am considering buying another Airborne for racing next summer.

If I had a wish list it would be a Hobgoblin XO with shorter chainstays and a component set that drops the weight a few pounds. Maybe an updated Geometry.

Or a cheap carbon with modern geometry and a cheaper component set that can be updated over time _ (See Norco Revolver 7.3)
    People ask me all the time "who beat you up"? I tell them "a tree". They just look at me funny....

mtbr member
    How about couple new HG teasers? Ask Eric, he'll give u the ok

Squ-eti
    no longer mythical

Airborne Bicycles . Griffin

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...8139258&type=3

glad to see Airborne bringing new bikes to market. Having bought an EVO and a fat bike this year I don't see a place for this bike in the closet right now, but not a bad looking bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I saw it pop up on the site 2 days ago, only 18" available. It's nice that it's finally here, nice bike, but they're at the tail end of the season. Because of this I doubt they'll see many sales until 2016.

Squ-eti
    if they can keep them in stock in all sizes through Christmas and after folks start getting their income tax returns I think they'll do alright. assuming that the 27.5+ format is as popular with consumers as it seems to be with manufacturers. personally, I feel like, if you're gonna go fat you might as well go all the way.

mtbr member
    I have been looking at a 6Fattie Fuse, priced at 2100 bucks. The Griffin has piqued my interest in a large volume tire without having to go full fat, it should be a blast to ride in the sandbox out here.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I know this thread is old.....but felt I needed to chime in. First, I ride a 26 inch full suspension XC bike and a Salsa Mukluk 2 fat bike. Had been looking for a bike that would be the best of both worlds and good for bikepacking...Not a big fan of 29 inch wheel bikes....so when all the jabber started about 27.5 plus, I knew I was going to own one. I researched as much as possible (just not that much info out there) and decided on the Airborne Griffin. I ordered online Monday and sent them an email asking them to please call me (could not find a phone number) as I was nervous about all the service issues mentioned on line and had a bunch of concerns and detail questions. They called me back right away. Talked to them about 45 minutes, got the full company story (NOT owned by Huffy any longer) and felt really comfortable. I now have a (Mike, I believe it was....bad at names!) direct number . The bike was shipped FedEx with a tracking number within 24 hours of purchase and will be here Friday. So far, I could not be more pleased!! Only concern is I'm a little under 6'3 and normally would go with an XL, 21 or 22 which they are not selling at this time....Mike assured me I should be OK with the 20...keeping my fingers crossed. Will report back with more once I get out on it this weekend!

EDIT: The number posted was to a personal phone and has been removed for the privacy of the phone holder. Please only show Public Published numbers. - Klurejr
    Last edited by Klurejr; 02-04-2016 at 09:06 AM. Reason: personal number

mtbr member
    Congrats! Post pics when you get it together.