Should I be concerned about Airborne?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Should I be concerned about Airborne?

Hi all!

Was looking to pull the trigger on an EVO this week. I have some concerns about sizing since my last 2 brands: Giant / Specialized, I did not match their sizing recommendations.

So I initially called Airborne customer service on Monday (early afternoon) and got an answering machine. I left a message explaining that I wanted someone to go through sizing with me (as I have heard they have done for others) and left my number.

I did not hear back on Monday. No biggies 24 hours is reasonable response time (although you would never have to leave a message at Trek or Specialized; just saying). So I posted here having heard that Airborne reps frequent this forum.

I appreciate all the responses I have gotten; from fellow forum users. I have not gotten anything from Airborne.

No problem I was told to email them for best turn around time on my question. So I did, early at around noon today.

Finally, I did get a response about 3 hours later. I have to admit im a bit concerned about the response: heres what it said: go 18" evo. Thanks.

No: Thank you for your interest! No we are excited that you have chosen Airborne. No name even, just Support. No explanation of why the representative feels 18" is the best fit for me. No explanation of who this person is. Could be some $9 hr desk jockey who has no clue. No explanation of their return policy if I chose to return the bike due to fit.

Ive heard nothing but good things about Airborne. I have to admit I expected to get blown away and in stead im having doubts about the purchase.

Any one of the things above on their own would never deserve being blown out of proportion. All of them together raise a flag.

Please no flaming, just looking to alleviate my concerns.

Thanks.
    People ask me all the time "who beat you up"? I tell them "a tree". They just look at me funny....

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    When I emailed airborne asking for a recommendation on size, their reply was simple and to the point. I gave them my measurements, and they replied "definitely go with a 20 inch." That was it. I listened and couldn't be more pleased.

Sawyer Gnome
    I'd get tired of answering that question over ond over if I was them; especially on something as subjective as bike sizing... I agree, the message may have been a little curt, but maybe they were just way backlogged becasue of someone's vacation or something, and were trying to blast through playing catchup. Who knows...

I just ordered mine a few weeks ago and was bummed I hadn't recieved my tracking number email or seen any status update on my account for their site (since I was gonna have to change deliver to hold at facility). That night, the door tag let me know Christmas came unexpectedly and expediently!

First ride out, I knew I'd made a great choice in bike. That Evo is FUN!

FWIW, I'm 6' w/ 35.5" flat footed inseam (all legs and arms, no torso obviously) and the Evo 20 fits me perfectly. 780mm bars and a shorter stem right off the bat and I'm lovin' it! I'm coming from a 19" Raleigh XXIX and this bike is way more playful.
    Evil The Following
    Raleigh XXIX SS

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I had the same experience when I emailed them. Fast replies but always short and to the point. Written words are always up for interpretation and often short and sweet gets mistaken for short and curt. I too asked for sizing recommendations and they're response of "get the 16 -support" was spot on. I had to leave a couple messages with them. I initially ordered a goblin, before I noticed the price drop on the evo. I called to see about changing my order and had to leave a voicemail. They called back twice in 2-3 hours, but I missed both calls. After playing phone tag and leaving a couple voicemails I received an email notification that my order had been processed. I emailed again a couple days later and they replied, again 2-3 hours later that tracking info would be available the following day. They sent another email the next day with the tracking info and I received the bike that night. All in all it took 6 business days start to finish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I believe their return policy regarding sizing issues is that you have to pay the return shipping cost and the bike has to still be in mint condition... which is very reasonable. In the past, an Airborne employee was very involved on this forum, however he no longer works for Airborne so their presence on MTBR has dropped off, but there are still plenty of users online to help you with questions.

Regarding the customer service... if you really want that hands on treatment you might want to purchase a bike from a local bike shop. However, to get the same bike as the EVO at a bike shop you will be spending closer to $1,800-2000.

When I received my bike, it arrived with a bent derailleur hanger. I emailed Airborne and told them about it and the very same day I received a shipping notification that they had mailed out a new hanger. When the package arrived 2-3 days later, they had sent me two new hangers.

I am 5'10'' with a 33'' inseam and they recommended I go with an 18" Goblin. I asked if they thought I could fit the small and they kinda laughed at me. I ordered the 18" and it felt really big at first (this was my first 29er), but I put a 60mm stem and it now feels a lot smaller. I've been riding my bike for almost a year now and its been great. My next bike purchase will definitely be again through Airborne, when their All-Mountain bike is released.
    Last edited by TMO8853; 03-12-2015 at 08:09 AM.

mtbr member
    I am sure losing BDF did not help things much as he was the social media face for the company.

CoolArrow
    I would go with the recommendation they offer. If you didn't get a multi-paragraph response, don't worry too much. They are quite busy this time of year, if there was time to chat about more concerns, they would have engaged you on the phone. If your major concern was size, I wouldn't take their simple response as "uninterested".

Being a direct-to-consumer company, Airborne understands the importance of customer contact/communication & and satisfaction. I've seen no examples where they have not stood by the customer and helped out any way they can when an issue might arise (such as the derailleur mentioned above).

For what it's worth, I'm 5'8" with a 32" inseam - and initially rode an 18". After a week on the bike, I found it to be a bit on the large side, especially the top tube.

If you're over 5' 9" or taller - (generally speaking) an 18 should be a great fit, while a 16 would feel quite cramped (unless you have a very short torso!)
    Cool BandolArrow

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Pulling the trigger on the 18" Monday! So excited!

Thanks for all the input, I will keep you all informed about the order process / shipping / arrival / and 1st RIDE!
    People ask me all the time "who beat you up"? I tell them "a tree". They just look at me funny....

mtbr member
    Good choice going with Airborne! I have a Goblin and a Hobgoblin X0 and they have both been great bikes!

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I bought an 18" Evo about a month ago. I got the same type of response when I wrote a long email. I didn't phase me the least bit, and I have been very impressed with the bike since I got it. You won't be disappointed.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Fwiw, i did the same thing as you when ordering my original goblin and also got the recommendation of an 18". Im 5'10" with a 29-30" inseam (at least as far as levis are concerned..) and it is a touch big.... If i had it to do over again i would go down a size.... Love the bike, just wish it was a little smaller....
    I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.. Oh SH*T!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I'm 5 11 with a 32 inseam an love my 18 Evo.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I am 6'0" with 32" inseam and they recommended an 18 for me. Will pull trigger soon. How is that revelation fork?

Squ-eti
    Quote Originally Posted by jslangley View Post
    How is that revelation fork?
    Insanely plush! But I am coming from riding a 15 year old Rockshox Sid with 80 mm of travel so I might not be the best judge.
    "Trails? Where we're going we don't need, trails!"

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I'm 5'9" with a 31" inseam and I have basically zero standover height on my new 18" Evo. I haven't had a chance to ride it yet, though, so it's still TBD if I'd have been better off with the 16" frame.

mtbr member
    I've a 16" Seeker and I'm 5'4 and a 27" inseam (that's a generous estimate). I've barely any standover clearance but the reach feels perfect w/ a 60mm/-10 degree stem.

It's kinda like Emily Batty's Trek but not as extreme/expensive. hahaha I probably look absurd w/ a 29er but man do I have fun.
    Do Fun Stuff

mtbr member
    In the end I got personal service from Airborne and was very happy with the friendliness and hands on attention.