Setting Sag- Mtbr.com

Thread: Setting Sag

mtbr member
    Apr 2014

Setting Sag

I've been riding my Goblin for about a year now and I still can't seem to get sag set correctly. I'm guessing the weight distribution on my bike when seated is around 65% rear and 35% front. I put two new Maxxis Ardents on my bike last year and now my back tire is almost ready to be replaced and my front tire still looks great.

If I lower the shocks PSI low enough to get a true 15-20% sag while seated, I'll end up bottoming my shock out 4-5 times on a typical ride. I ended up increasing the PSI until I would use almost all my shocks travel without bottoming out. Now if I slowly get on my bike and stay in the seated position my shock wont even move, which means I have zero sag. It has no small bump compliance, but feels fine on the more aggressive stuff. By the end of my rides my hands are a little numb, so I think I may just have to go back to bottoming out my shock.

Is it ok to bottom out your shock a few times each ride?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TMO8853 View Post
    I've been riding my Goblin for about a year now and I still can't seem to get sag set correctly. I'm guessing the weight distribution on my bike when seated is around 65% rear and 35% front. I put two new Maxxis Ardents on my bike last year and now my back tire is almost ready to be replaced and my front tire still looks great.

If I lower the shocks PSI low enough to get a true 15-20% sag while seated, I'll end up bottoming my shock out 4-5 times on a typical ride. I ended up increasing the PSI until I would use almost all my shocks travel without bottoming out. Now if I slowly get on my bike and stay in the seated position my shock wont even move, which means I have zero sag. It has no small bump compliance, but feels fine on the more aggressive stuff. By the end of my rides my hands are a little numb, so I think I may just have to go back to bottoming out my shock.

Is it ok to bottom out your shock a few times each ride?
    Are you using any compression in the shock? You have five clicks to lock-out, I would recommend turning your compression in two clicks to aid in the bottoming out. I had the same issues, and this really helped.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I haven't thought of using that adjustment for setting up the shock. I had always either set it fully open or closed. Thats a good idea I will definitely give it a try.

mtbr member
    I like a nice plush ride, and I hated the fact I had to put so pressure in to keep my fat ass from bottoming out. I went two clicks in, and my band is about a half an inch away from hitting the bottom on the harshest bumps.

EDIT - I did reset my pressure to where I had proper sag as well.