Seeker Tubeless Conversion- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Seeker Tubeless Conversion

I converted the front wheel of my Seeker to tubeless last night. Will do the rear wheel tonight. I have the stock disc bull rims but have replaced my tires with 2.35 Nobby Nics (new version). The tires were an incredible improvement on rocky and rooted trails, and they are supposed to do well as tubeless. The conversion went well, but I did need an air compressor to set the bead. I have a very old, whimpy bike pump. I did not bother to remove the valve from the stem and the tire bead set pretty easily with the compressor.

I did discover one issue with the rim, though. I pumped up the tire without the Stans to see how it was sealing. Quite well, except where there is a seam in the rim. It looks like this is where the rim is butt welded together. The seam is not perfectly smooth and air was leaking out pretty good. I was using a compressor at a gas station, so I decided to add the Stans and re-pressure the tire to see what would happen. This seemed to seal the leak very well and I took the tire home. It did hold air overnight, but it dropped about 10 psi, which might be normal.

I figure I will try to smooth the seam some on the rear wheel where the tire bead makes its seal. Its pretty tight in there, so not sure how well I can do this. Has anyone else experienced this and what if anything did you do about it???

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Did you use gorilla duct tape?

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Yes, I did use the 1" wide Gorilla tape. I also bought some tubeless valve stems with nice rubber block seals on the inside of the rim. The only place that seemed to be leaking was at the tire/rim bead at the seam on the rim, this is without the stans put in yet. By the seam on the rim, I mean the one spot in 360 degrees that the rim is not smooth.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bttocs View Post
    I converted the front wheel of my Seeker to tubeless last night. Will do the rear wheel tonight. I have the stock disc bull rims but have replaced my tires with 2.35 Nobby Nics (new version). The tires were an incredible improvement on rocky and rooted trails, and they are supposed to do well as tubeless. The conversion went well, but I did need an air compressor to set the bead. I have a very old, whimpy bike pump. I did not bother to remove the valve from the stem and the tire bead set pretty easily with the compressor.

I did discover one issue with the rim, though. I pumped up the tire without the Stans to see how it was sealing. Quite well, except where there is a seam in the rim. It looks like this is where the rim is butt welded together. The seam is not perfectly smooth and air was leaking out pretty good. I was using a compressor at a gas station, so I decided to add the Stans and re-pressure the tire to see what would happen. This seemed to seal the leak very well and I took the tire home. It did hold air overnight, but it dropped about 10 psi, which might be normal.

I figure I will try to smooth the seam some on the rear wheel where the tire bead makes its seal. Its pretty tight in there, so not sure how well I can do this. Has anyone else experienced this and what if anything did you do about it???
    You may not need to smooth it out, as the Stans will eventually seal it up. If anything, I would drop the bead and 'paint' some sealant on the rim and tire, and re-inflate, or you could use another small piece of Stans tape on the rim itself where the imperfection is along with a brush of Stans. Then the usual dance of shaking the tire/rim, setting it on its side over a bucket, flipping it over and so on. You will lose air the first few days, but it should eventually seal completely.

mtbr member
    BTW, I had the same issue on my Griffin rear wheel, Stans leaking from the seam of the rim joint, but it did eventually all seal up with no further leaks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Thx Soul_C.

I used some 320 and 600 grit paper on the rear wheel. This made the leak a lot less on the first inflate without stans sealer. I did think of something else I probably should have done during the conversion. I rode the tires last year with tubes. They were a little dirty when I broke them down to do the conversion. Probably should have used soap and water on the tire to get some nice clean and sticky rubber near the bead. The bead was relatively clean since it was inside the rim, but wouldn't have hurt.

I did a quick test ride and all seems good. Hard to tell how much of an improvement this is. The first (short) ride of the season felt good, but I don't really remember how it felt last season. Once I do a long ride, I may have more sense on the change. If I stop getting flats due to thorns, that will be a big improvement.

mtbr member
    What is your weight all rigged up and the PSI you are using in the tires? You should notice more tire compliance, since there is no tube forcing itself out against the tire. The benefit is the tire conforming to the terrain vs. the tire bouncing up and over. Glad to hear you worked out the issues, and going tubeless will always be worth it.

mtbr member
    Seam leaks aren't new. I normally throw a small strip of electrical tape across them. They don't need the strength of gorilla/stans tape like the spoke holes do. Just something to help seal the seam. In time, the sealant will clog it up, but why wait.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

mtbr member
    I'm still using the disc bulls on another bike, tubeless since they came on the seeker, same leak, stans sealed it pretty quickly. I have noticed when setting up tubeless that If I ride on them right away they seal quicker and better vs just spinning them in a stand and having them sit overnight.
    Just a dude being a dude in the woods & Owner of Newark Bike Shop an authorized Diamondback Dealer.

My personal bikes:
    Airborne Seeker
    Airborne HobGoblin
    Airborne Goblin
    Airborne Toxin
    Diamondback Insight ( on the trainer )
    Evo Vantage 7.0

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    So far so good with the tubeless conversion. I am 6'4" and 245lbs. I have the new 2.35" Nobby Nics's front and rear. I ran them with 20 psi front and rear with the tubes last year. Rode at 20 psi yesterday and they felt good. Will probably drop a few psi. These are very high volume and feel good at the low pressures. Lots of compliance. Feels like a whole new bike. I have noticed I can climb better with the tubeless. I think it is better acceleration. I seem to be getting more power to the ground. Not traction wise, but tires more willing to keep rolling as I pedal. I think I am realizing how delicate of a balance a mtb is due to us as the motor, as compared to a dirt motorcylcle with an engine. Small improvements can really make a difference.