Seeker sram x5 rear derailleur can't seem to get adjustment working- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2009

Seeker sram x5 rear derailleur can't seem to get adjustment working

I can't seem to get the rear derailleur index shifting on my seeker working correctly. Its an SRAM x5, 2x10. I believe I have the H/L setup fine.

If I setup the shifting on the smallest cog, and adjust tension so it goes smoothly 1 step bigger when I shift 1 step, then when I get to the largest Cog, and try to shift to one smaller, it won't shift smaller.

If I'm on the largest cog, shift 1 step smaller, and adjust tension so it goes smoothly to the 2nd largest cog. Then when I get to the smallest cog, and try to shift 1 step larger, it won't shift up. I can go 2 steps up and it seems fine. I can hold the shifter a little past the index shift point and it will shift up too.

Steps between largest and smallest seem fine, its just getting largest to 2nd largest, and smallest to 2nd smallest working correctly at the same time.

I tried totally backing off H/L too. Just to make sure they weren't messing things up.

Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    First thing I would look at is if the RD hanger is bent slightly.

Next check to see if the RD cage is tweaked or bent at all.

Is it a new Seeker brand new out of the box, or you've had it for awhile? If you've had it for awhile, could be dirty/old cables/housing.

X5 is sometimes not the most precise-shifing group due to tolerances. I've worked on it before in the past where the best you can get is that it shifts cleanly everytime to a smaller cog, but sometimes going up to larger cogs it may need the occasional extra "nudge" by pushing the shift lever a little more past the point.

Hope that helps!

Jeremy
    Please Note: I no longer work for Airborne. If you have an Airborne question or problem please contact them directly.

mtbr member
    ^^^^^ what he said^^^^^

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I went through the exact same adjustment on my Seeker at the beginning of this season and was able to get it shifting really well. It took some time to sort it out, though. The secret for me was to set the height properly between the derailer top cog and the rear sprocket set. Until I did that, I was having the same issues as you. I forget which front sprocket I had to be on, check them both, and one gave the smallest gap. Check Youtube for a vid and spec, I thin it was like a 1/4" or less. Once the height was set (not the H or L screws) then I set the H and L and then I tweaked the cable tension until everything shifted well. One other critical thing, the cable tension adjuster on the handlebar shifter should be set in the middle of its travel, or set so there is a little slack in the cable in the worst case gear. You have to turn the tension adjuster till you find this spot, or you have to unclamp the cable with the adjuster in the middle and reclamp with zero tension.

There was an order to follow and then it all worked will. I spent two nights of hit or miss till I sorted out the steps. Guess I should make a vid but that is not my thing. My bike shifts awsome now compared to last year which was my first with the bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    before you spend more time adjusting your rear deraileur I just want to make sure we ask to see if you are using a bike stand to work on your bike. if so I know this is just stating the obvious, but if the stand is attached to the top tube are you certain that the stand is not binding the rear deraileur cable? secondly, have you checked the rear deraileur height (or "B" tension) adjustment. when I thought my x5 rear deraileur was shifting pretty good until i adjusted the "B" tension and adjusting that made it work that much better. here is a video I found to be extremely helpful. it covers all aspects of adjusteing a rear deraileur. I hope this helps. let us know if you have any more questions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7QFNimcLQM

Quote Originally Posted by mogulman1 View Post
    I can't seem to get the rear derailleur index shifting on my seeker working correctly. Its an SRAM x5, 2x10. I believe I have the H/L setup fine.

If I setup the shifting on the smallest cog, and adjust tension so it goes smoothly 1 step bigger when I shift 1 step, then when I get to the largest Cog, and try to shift to one smaller, it won't shift smaller.

If I'm on the largest cog, shift 1 step smaller, and adjust tension so it goes smoothly to the 2nd largest cog. Then when I get to the smallest cog, and try to shift 1 step larger, it won't shift up. I can go 2 steps up and it seems fine. I can hold the shifter a little past the index shift point and it will shift up too.

Steps between largest and smallest seem fine, its just getting largest to 2nd largest, and smallest to 2nd smallest working correctly at the same time.

I tried totally backing off H/L too. Just to make sure they weren't messing things up.

Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I think it may just be the way the x5 is.

I did play around with it some more. Made sure B tension distance was at 6mm. I can get it almost perfect, just smallest cog is a little funky.

Nothing looks bent. I am using a bike stand.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post

X5 is sometimes not the most precise-shifing group due to tolerances. I've worked on it before in the past where the best you can get is that it shifts cleanly everytime to a smaller cog, but sometimes going up to larger cogs it may need the occasional extra "nudge" by pushing the shift lever a little more past the point.

Hope that helps!

Jeremy
    I think this is what I am experiencing. Only seems to happen when going from the smallest cog to then 2nd smallest.

mtbr member
    Be sure to undo the cable and slides the housing off. Inspect the cable for any kinks that may get hung up in the housing. Also, be sure to inspect housing. Remove the ferrules and check for burrs at the tips of the housing. File or clip them off if necessary.
    Also run it into a shop and have them throw a der. hanger gauge on it. Even the slightest bend/twist can throw off the shifting.
    Toddre