Salsa El Mariachi 3 vs Airborne Goblin- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Salsa El Mariachi 3 vs Airborne Goblin

Hello everyone. I have been frequenting these forums trying to make an informed decision on the purchase of my first bike and also one for my girlfriend. I have read a lot of great stuff on here and changed my mind completely on the price range that I am looking at. I only wanted to spend around $500 but now im am looking in the $1000 to $1500 range to get features that I think I want. I am a big guy (6'3 235lbs) and will be riding on gravel roads for exercise and also some trails on the weekends but nothing too technical. I would like to get into more technical riding but not until my girlfriend and I are ready for it. I have lots of experience riding motorcycles on trails and have been out with friends on mtb and know that I enjoy riding a lot so I am thinking that investing a little more and getting decent equipment from the start will save me money in the long run because I am really bad about dumping money into upgrades in every hobby I have ever had. I have always wrenched my own motorcycles so I am fairly mechanically inclined so i thought about going to the internet route and getting a better bike for the money but I also have three big lbs in my area that carry Trek, Giant, Salsa, Specialized, Felt, Scott, and Cannondale. Ive been to all three and the bikes that stood out for me were the Salsa El Mariachi 3 in the $1400 range and the Trek Mamba in the $1000 range. They both felt good to me in 21in frames. I think that I would be happier with an air fork so I have kind of ruled out the mamba and really liked the 2x10 gearing on the el mar and think that it or the Airborne Goblin would be the best for me. I know one is steel and has a tapered headtube and the other is aluminum and has a higher end fork and better components. Which would you recommend for me and why? I greatly appreciate all input! Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I've got an El Mar 3 and I love it. The steel frame is nice and comfy!

keeptrollintrollintrollin
    I've got the goblin and its holding up well for me. I really enjoy the bike. Good luck with your decision.

mtbr member
    i think big boys can torque a steel frame more than smaller folks, which is not always a good thing. i'd look at alloy for you, maybe steel for your girl depending upon her size.
    In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
    Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks a lot for the input guys. I think that I am going to go with the goblin for myself and try to find my girlfriend something that feels good to her locally. Hopefully it wont be a pretty purple or pink piece of junk that she falls in love with... Wishful thinking!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    After doing some reseach I think I will also be going to go with the Goblin. The guys at Airborne have been very responsive to my inquiries and very professional!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CUatTheEnd View Post
    After doing some reseach I think I will also be going to go with the Goblin. The guys at Airborne have been very responsive to my inquiries and very professional!
    Ditto. They've been great with me as well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Very different bikes, but I think both look nice. The El Mar can be run single speed if that matters to you. Also, if you decide to upgrade later, I suspect the Salsa will have better resale value. Try to ride both bikes and if you can't find a Goblin, find a local aluminum hard tail with similar geo.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by kevrider View Post
    i think big boys can torque a steel frame more than smaller folks, which is not always a good thing. i'd look at alloy for you, maybe steel for your girl depending upon her size.
    The ride on steel, or the 'torque' that you speak of is the reason to ride a steel bike. Small folks (such as myself @ 140-145 lbs) won't benefit as much from a steel frame as a larger rider because we aren't able to flex the frame as much and enjoy that lovely quality.
    This is a generalization for steel production frames. Using lighter / thinner tube sets on a custom bike would gain back that feeling of steel.

mtbr member
    The El mar 3 will give you slightly more options in upgrades in the future. The El mar 3 can take a tapered fork. The Goblin cannot. The El mar 3 can be set up single speed very easy. The El Mar 3 stood out for you and you can ride it. You might have to order the goblin without a ride if you cannot find a dealer near by. The Goblin is nicely specd if you can live with the 1 1/8 headtube and the "green".
    When the **** did we get ice cream?

SS Pusher Man
    Quote Originally Posted by crclawn View Post
    The El mar 3 will give you slightly more options in upgrades in the future. The El mar 3 can take a tapered fork. The Goblin cannot. The El mar 3 can be set up single speed very easy. The El Mar 3 stood out for you and you can ride it. You might have to order the goblin without a ride if you cannot find a dealer near by. The Goblin is nicely specd if you can live with the 1 1/8 headtube and the "green".

Airborne is consumer direct......you have to order them online.....so they won't have a local dealer to go check one out before you buy.
    Bicycles donít have motors or batteries.:nono:

Ebikes are not bicycles :nono:

Members who have read this thread: 0