Which Route?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Which Route?

mtbr member
    Feb 2015

Which Route?

Hi All,

I had originally set out with a budget of less than $800 for my first mtn bike. After reading on the forums for the last few days I am contemplating increasing that budget. Airborne is what I keep being drawn back to in light of their great customer service and product.

My question is, should I keep my price point and buy a model like the Guardian or Seeker and then upgrade parts at my own pace? Or do I go right away for a model such as the Goblin Evo? Is one route cheaper than the other?

My riding will be about 70/30 trails to road. I will take short rides with my family on the road, but plan to hit trails with friends a lot too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    The seeker is a great bike. Maybe look at the goblin. The Evo is a trail bike and not sure how hard you ride on trail and might be overkill with 30% road.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by RSDSav View Post
    The seeker is a great bike. Maybe look at the goblin. The Evo is a trail bike and not sure how hard you ride on trail and might be overkill with 30% road.
    The Evo currently is only $80 more than the Goblin. Wouldn't it be worth the $80 to upgrade if I am spending that much money already?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Yes and no. The Evo is a beefier, burlier bike. The Goblin is lighter and quicker. Just depends on what are looking for in your new ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I own a seeker and it is really nice (for a mtn bike) on the road. I really got into dirt riding however, and it needed new bars, stem, and tires to really kick a... in the dirt. Not a big deal, but it increased the budget. If you think you will tackle advanced trails in the dirt, get the EVO. Its already got the tires, bars, stem, and more to make it better in the dirt. None of what it has really detracts from the road capability, except the tires, but that is what it is. I think the EVO would have been the better choice for me, but it would have stretched my budget more than I wanted. The Seeker is a really good bike, so I have no regrets.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    The nice thing about the seeker is its the same frame as the goblin. If price is really a problem now, don't feel bad about a seeker and upgrading. It's a hell of a bike, especially compared to other brands.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Yeah I do see my trail riding increasing in the future and the road riding won't be tons. Just short rides in the evenings with my wife and daughter. Man after deciding to get into this sport there is just so many choices I don't want to make the wrong decision.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Watch the videos on their website. There are a couple videos on we're too that discuss the same debate. I have an Evo, my wife has a Goblin and we both really enjoy our bikes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by RSDSav View Post
    Watch the videos on their website. There are a couple videos on we're too that discuss the same debate. I have an Evo, my wife has a Goblin and we both really enjoy our bikes.
    I'm not sure what videos your talking about. Maybe I am overlooking it but the only videos I see are the videos on the pages for each bike about the particular bike?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    On this page, look for the thread called Evo or Goblin. Jerry has posted the video there, and on others for the types of riding.

licensed master lurker
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by porkpistol View Post
    ...there is just so many choices I don't want to make the wrong decision.
    Sites like these can definitely put some undue pressure on a rider in what their choice in a ride is going to be. (this thread being an exception to that) "Oh you don't want that bike it's got 'old' geometry or it's .3 lbs heavier than this one." How many of those same posters, in a blind test, could even differentiate between geometries or weights? Almost none if other blind test results on vodka, wine, speaker wires and violins are accurate.

Just be confident in knowing that between the 3 models you have in mind right now that there are NO BAD CHOICES. All that being said if the trails you're mainly going to ride have log piles, rock gardens, steps, a lot of roots and other obstacles the EVO would be better than the other two. But if the trails are more of x-country type the Goblin or Seeker are better suited.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Don't over think this. Just get the EVO and be done with it. The component upgrades are just to good to not spend the extra $80. I've got the regular Goblin and its a nice bike, but I've had buyers remorse ever since Airborne put the EVO on sale.

Also, the EVO comes with thru axles... (15mm front and 12mm rear). If you ever want to upgrade to a nicer full suspension bike, you will have tons of choices with the thru axles and everything will just swap right over to a new frame.

The goblin uses 9mm QR front and rear and to switch to a nicer frame it would cost me a lot of money on a new wheelset.
    Last edited by TMO8853; 02-16-2015 at 12:10 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I appreciate all the help! I know for sure I am going with Airborne, just trying to decide if I want to spend the money on the Evo right now or go with the Seeker as I still need to buy gear and some other things as well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    From what you've said about your riding and the fact that you're weighing in the cost of gear it seems the extra 300 dollars really makes a difference to you. The 300 more you spend on the Evo *WILL* be a great investment in the short run - BUT the cost of maintaining any of those parts will be greater and the investment is larger in the long term to keep the bike going. So just because you save up front does not mean you save in the end.

If finances are a concern I would say go with the Seeker.

1. You can save 300 and put it towards helmet, chain slap guard, gloves, a tune up at your LBS when you purchase it (Don't self assemble, have a pro look at it, it won't cost much and you will need to take the bike in to the LBS at bare minimum once a year)

2. You will save money on the life of the bike, if you break a part on the seeker, it's cheaper to replace *OR* you can upgrade.

3. Your commute that you mentioned wouldn't really require the extended suspension nor the slightly steeper angle. Even if they're trails, if they're groomed out and smooth then there won't be much difference.

I will go against the grain here and say Seeker. But if you can swing the money the EVO to me is a better long term bike if you want to get a little more into riding different terrain.
    Last edited by opivy; 02-16-2015 at 06:22 PM.

mtbr member

Which Route?

Buy the best Airborne bike you can afford and go tear up some dirt!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyKreitzer View Post
    Buy the best Airborne bike you can afford and go tear up some dirt!
    This. Get as much bike as you can while leaving room for all the gear you need.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Well my thoughts tonight have been leaning Evo. Reason being, I can order the bike now and get gear in another month before the weather breaks. Shop for deals and save money. I keep being drawn back to the Evo over and over.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015

Which Route?

I was in the same boat as you. First started looking at the seeker and then decided upon the goblin. Then the evo went on sale and I ended up getting that. I don't regret it one bit. Took a little while longer to save up for, but I'm still out less cash than if I had bought the seeker and then decided to upgrade later on. The parts on the evo are far superior and the frame much more robust and better suited for having fun on the trails. A beginner like you would see no benefit in the added efficiency of the xc style geometry the seeker offers bc both bikes are above your skill level capability wise. I couldn't be happier with my evo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I'm contemplating this same decision between the Seeker and the Evo. I'm located in Florida and we don't have much terrain here, no big climbs or decents so I'm not sure if the Evo would be overkill. I seems like in some of the comments above the Seeker is lighter than the Evo since the Evo frame is made to take more aggressive terrain? Love the components on the Evo though. How do the 2 different wheelsets differ? I'm aiming to go 1x10 and do the tubeless mod on whichever I end up with.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I have contacted Airborne via email and asked some questions about the Evo. They were quick to respond. Have all of you that have ordered bikes from them used their website ordering system or did you call? Their website seems a little clunky to me and doesn't work very well. Links to the cart won't open sometimes. I choose the 18" frame size and it doesn't say anything about 18" in the cart. I just want to be sure I am ordering the correct one. Anyone have any issues with the site at all when ordering?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I used their old website last year for mine. You can always call them or order online and call, or email, to make sure it went through ok. They are really nice guys up there.