Resurrection of Airborne...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Smile Resurrection of Airborne...

Check this out....It seems that Airborne has been reorganized into different entities, and it sounds like there are some interesting changes coming down the line. Jamie Raddin was bought out I guess and went off to form Flyte Bicycles.

http://www.flyte1.com/

They seem to have a nice lineup, but it is not the Airborne Designs. Airborne and it's designs are in the hands of a Dutch Consortium (European Bicycle Imports). They still have their Website

http://www.airbornecycles.com/WbmHome.aspx

I believe the Dutch Group is being headed up by a gentleman by the name of Jan-william Sintnicholaas. It looks like part of the agreement with Jamie has prevented them from selling under the name Airborne, so be prepared for the Launch of the new Airborne as Van Nicholas Bikes. It seems this may be a play on Jan's name but maybe not.

Keep an eye on this site...

http://www.vannicholas.com

Notice the nice Ti finish of the banner....uhmmmm....interesting.

This was Jan's post on the Airborne Site forum....

"All I can say rightnow is: Sitback, Relax and Hold Steady. Something is coming up soon. And you guys better be ready.

Jan-Willem Sintnicolaas
    Airborne Cycles and "... ........"

Not a Barry supporter.
    Thanks dugodugo! My Airborne is built up super light (23 lbs. give or take) and is incredible for racing. I absolutely love it! It's the best fitting bike I've ever had. The geo fits me perfect. The Flyte guys are great to deal with but aesthetically, their frames are lacking. If/when I want to go the 29er route, I may give them a try. But I sure was disappointed when I found out Airborne was no longer available in the US. Now there's hope for the future!
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Wink There's even more hope...

Quote Originally Posted by Crash_FLMB
    Thanks dugodugo! My Airborne is built up super light (23 lbs. give or take) and is incredible for racing. I absolutely love it! It's the best fitting bike I've ever had. The geo fits me perfect. The Flyte guys are great to deal with but aesthetically, their frames are lacking. If/when I want to go the 29er route, I may give them a try. But I sure was disappointed when I found out Airborne was no longer available in the US. Now there's hope for the future!
    Hey Crash, here's a shot of my Lucky Strike...It's 23lbs as well and you're right. One of the nicest handling frames I've ridden. The rear seat stay is really solid laterally and the stretched top tube really helps with control on the decents. Mine seems to track real well, even in semi rough conditions. It's obviously is a XC racer, but for what it is designed to do, it does it well.

Now, listen up...Airborne seems to be morphing, but you can still buy the Airborne frames here in the US. I realize the main Airborne site has the "North American" entrance which seems to tell you you can't buy them here. But if you go to the European Site...

http://www.airbornecycles.com/WbmHome.aspx

...you can select US shipping and they will send it. I just bought a 2006 B-29 that I'm going to transfer the LS components onto. Obviously, I'll have to put on a new fork and a new Wheel-set, but I should be able to get the 29er in at around 24lbs. So, if you are really interested in getting another Airborne it can be done. And keep an eye on the "Clearence hanger" under the "Products" tab. I have a feeling that has they move on to the Van Nicholas name, they will unload the Airborne frames and you may be able to picck up a pretty good deal. I got my B29 for $600...shipping will have to go DHL Express, which added another $150 or so on to it, but for $750, I scored a Ti B29....which to me is a real deal.....your milage may vary.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Not a Barry supporter.
    Sweet! Thanks for the info. I just bought a Dean Ace but I've also been looking into the 29er SS thing too. Another Airborne in the stable would be great. I'll keep checking the new site out. Thanks for the heads up.
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I guess I waited to long to take advantage of the military discount

Optimus Prime

Just some feedback

I have a new Celsius 9, and I love it.
    New and improved, now with 40% more awesome.
    www.owenjsimpson.blogspot.com

Goin' Down ain't bad!!!

Nice ride...

Looks nice Juicy....I too have taken the plunge into the 29er waters. I built up a Lucky Strike this winter and have been having a blast on it. I then thought with Airborne morphing that hopefully I could get a B29 frame before they disappeared. I was lucky enough to be able to order one from the European site (You can still get one even though we do live in the US). So now I'm stripping the LS and will soon have the B29 ready to roll....I'll post pics when it's done.

So you went with the Reba???
    Dug-da-Goat

"Oh momma, could this really be the end? To be stuck outside of Mojo with the High Side Blues again!!!"

Optimus Prime
    Yeah I have the Reba on both my 29's. Great ride.

Optimus Prime
    I upgraded some parts, here is a new pic.

Goin' Down ain't bad!!!

Good job! Van Nicholas is up and running.

Hey guys....Van Nicholas has opened their site.

Way cool....it looks like Van Nicholas has taken the Airborne designs (enigma seat stays) and re-worked them to avoid any direct patent infringement. They look real nice...well done. Seems they are staying the Ti route where Flyte has abandoned the designs that made Airborne so respected and gone the Al route.

There is an Al frame in the Redwood and the Ti Zion looks to be along the lines of the Liberator...no enigma there.

But the Tuareg has the enigma and is available in a 26" and 29" model. I couldn't get the picture of the 29er to come up, but the 26" actually looks like a 29er so they must still be sorting the site.

Looks good though and the prices are what Airborne was selling at so that's cool.
    Dug-da-Goat

"Oh momma, could this really be the end? To be stuck outside of Mojo with the High Side Blues again!!!"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dropin%Dug
    Hey guys....Van Nicholas has opened their site.

Way cool....it looks like Van Nicholas has taken the Airborne designs (enigma seat stays) and re-worked them to avoid any direct patent infringement. They look real nice...well done. Seems they are staying the Ti route where Flyte has abandoned the designs that made Airborne so respected and gone the Al route.

There is an Al frame in the Redwood and the Ti Zion looks to be along the lines of the Liberator...no enigma there.

But the Tuareg has the enigma and is available in a 26" and 29" model. I couldn't get the picture of the 29er to come up, but the 26" actually looks like a 29er so they must still be sorting the site.

Looks good though and the prices are what Airborne was selling at so that's cool.
    Are they selling in Europe only or can North Americans order through them as well?

Goin' Down ain't bad!!!

I'm sure they'll seel ya one...

I believe you can buy Van Nicholas world wide. If you are looking at the Tuareg 29er, the Airborne B29 which is the predecessor for the Tuareg is a real sweet handling frame. Really stiff laterally and with that buttery Ti ride. I would be pretty sure that the Tuareg rides very similar to it.

As I mentioned, the only thing I didn't care for on the Tuareg is that they moved away from the dropped top tube, but I assume they had a reason for doing it (stiffness or something) and if standover height isn't an issue that go for it.
    Dug-da-Goat

Members who have read this thread: 0