Rear Axle- Mtbr.com

Thread: Rear Axle

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Rear Axle

I've been commuting on my Goblin for a couple of months now and started noticing some klunking from the rear wheel after a recent crash. I took the wheel off and noticed the QR was pretty badly bent, then noticed the axle was too! Anyone know where I can get a replacement axle? I have a few extra QRs lying around already.

mtbr member
    If it's the original rear wheel with the original KT/Quando hub, while I was still at Airborne I sourced a few steel replacement axle kits to have on hand. It may be worth contacting Airborne to see if they will sell/supply a new one to you.

Hope that helps,

Jeremy
    Please Note: I no longer work for Airborne. If you have an Airborne question or problem please contact them directly.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    It is the original. I'll contact Airborne and see what they say. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Assuming it's a standard m10 axle, there are a lot of those available online. I've bought m10 QR axles with new cones for $8 off amazon. Just search for "135 m10 axle" and you should find something. Here's the one I grabbed. It's nothing amazing, but it works.
    http://www.amazon.com/HUB-AXLE-SET-R...4E75DBEM371YX6

You could also buy a new rear hub for under $20 and salvage parts off of it. If you can get what version of hub the airborne came with, you could get a new freehub for future use, just in case the stock one starts wearing out.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    edit: mtbr is being really slow, accidental double comment.

mtbr member
    Like many modern hubs, it's not a standard axle. It's made up of three pieces and is machined specifically for the hub and bearing pre-load design. I can tell you from experience a straight m10 axle won't work.

Sincerely,

Jeremy
    Please Note: I no longer work for Airborne. If you have an Airborne question or problem please contact them directly.

mtbr member
    I took mine apart last year when I was trying to find a creak on my Goblin, and Jeremy is correct, it is NOT a straight axle. There are two raised areas on the axle that the bearings sit up against.

Now if only I could find an axle end cap for the hub side, the dang thing stripped out on me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I contacted Airborne yesterday and they're sending me a replacement. Now I just need to figure out how to get the bearings off the old one. The caps won't thread off because the axle is bent too far. If nothing else, I'll cut the axle apart.

Thanks for the advice!

mtbr member
    Glad I could help!

You could take the bearing# off the bearings and just order a new set. May be worth the piece of mind of having new bearings in there with the new axle.

Jeremy