A question for Hobgoblin owners- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2013

A question for Hobgoblin owners

I'm wanting input from hobgoblin owners. I own a goblin and love it but am looking for something that will handle more technical trails. So would current hobgoblin owners recommend a hobgoblin or the ever elusive 650 prototype? Or another option? I currently ride mostly intermediate trails but have tried some advanced trails and the goblin doesn't have enough clearance for maneuvering

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I own a Goblin too and I am also looking for a bike that can handle more technical trails. I can't speak for hobgoblin owners, but I will not be purchasing an XC style bike again (hard tail or full suspension). If I were you, I would either wait for the elusive Airborne prototype to be released or start looking at different companies.

CoolArrow
    The HobGoblin can endure a bit of technical trail riding, but that's not its forte. There's nothing really "technical" in this video, but if what you're aiming to ride has features that you consider technical beyond whats in the vid, The Hobgoblin might not be your best choice.

<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/56603460" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe> <p><a href="http://vimeo.com/56603460">ABQ</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/jerryhazard">J Hazard</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

Its really at home in the XC world, when you start taking it into difficult or advanced trail conditions, it's a little out of its intended realm. I'd look at the EVO Goblin, (shorter stays, slacker head angle, longer travel fork) or hold out a little while longer for the 650 bike if you really want to move in to full suspension.
    Cool BandolArrow

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Thanks Jerry that trail is a good representation of what I currently ride my goblin on. The goblin and I are having trouble with bigger rock gardens, big logs, and drop offs. To be honest I'm not sure if it's the bike or a lack of skill. But I think I know enough now to compare the goblin to a 10 speed from my childhood. And I think I want something more along the lines of a geared bmx bike with big wheels for the tough stuff. I love the goblin for flying down the dirt path but don't like it on trails I have to slow down and pick my line. Does that make sense to anyone?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    This will answer 0 questions but mad props to Jerry for a sweet music selection and skills through that rock garden. I do agree, a Goblin or Hobgoblin would be great for that kind of riding.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    It makes sense what you are saying. I have a seeker and there are trails that just aren't much fun due to the rocks and steepness. In some ways, the HT keeps me from getting seriously hurt (I just won't ride them, or I walk them). I will say that as my fitness increased, I spent less time in the saddle, and that did help. But there are limits. Here is a good review/article on riding a Hobgoblin on advanced terrain. I did the bar/stem switch on my Seeker and it really made a huge improvement on more tech. trails. I also moved my seat back and forth and found a sweet spot between a light front end that wheelies easily and enough weight forward to climb reasonably well. The balance point of rider and bike does make quite a difference. The XC geom with 29" wheels only gets so playful, but cockpit changes do improve the std. bike.

2014 Airborne HobGoblin - Reviews, Comparisons, Specs - Mountain Bikes - Vital MTB

CoolArrow
    coppertop: totally makes sense! If youre wanting to ride terrain that is rougher than whays in the vid, youre a good candidate for a trail/am bike. While you could muscle your way through the rough on a HG, it really is not the tool for the job.

I heavily modded a Hobgoblin up a couple seasons ago and raced enduro on it, while it got me solid finish halfway through my field, it was outgunned by more robust bikes with a bit more travel and trail orientated geometry.

The Hobgoblin is an awesome XC BIKE... i still "borrow" my wifes from time to time when i know i need to get a FAST run in. But when out to conquer a trail, i reach for the longer travel am/enduro. Hope that helps!

(Thanks for the props, RSDSav!)
    Cool BandolArrow

Jerry Hazard website

eff
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coppertop View Post
    Thanks Jerry that trail is a good representation of what I currently ride my goblin on. The goblin and I are having trouble with bigger rock gardens, big logs, and drop offs. To be honest I'm not sure if it's the bike or a lack of skill. But I think I know enough now to compare the goblin to a 10 speed from my childhood. And I think I want something more along the lines of a geared bmx bike with big wheels for the tough stuff. I love the goblin for flying down the dirt path but don't like it on trails I have to slow down and pick my line. Does that make sense to anyone?
    Sounds like the Evo is what will really fit the bill. I just picked one up and it is magic in the terrain your describe.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Yes the Evo is tempting especially when it was on sale at Christmas, but I'm leaning towards fs with my next bike purchase. If I start riding more rough trails my 47 year old back will punish me less with full squish.

CoolArrow
    My 47 year old back agrees!
    Cool BandolArrow

Jerry Hazard website

eff
    mtbr member

A question for Hobgoblin owners

Got you both beat! Mine turns 49 this year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jhazard View Post
    My 47 year old back agrees!
    Are you really 47?? I hope I can ride like you by the time I hit 47.

CoolArrow
    Its true, just turned on tues! Thsnks, btw. Ive been on a little progression kick the lsdt few years, just try to keep challenging myself...
    Cool BandolArrow

Jerry Hazard website