Pulled the trigger and got a Goblin EVO 20" on the way.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2015

Pulled the trigger and got a Goblin EVO 20" on the way.

A little backstory, I started biking very young on BMX and mountain biking. Rode everywhere all the way up through middle of high school and then kind of just stopped riding for a while and then moved without buying a new bike. Fast forward a decade and I'm getting back into the game. All I currently own is a beat up old Trek road bike and have grown bored of riding around on pavement.

After doing a bit of research and setting a semi-firm budget of $1000 I decided on a Trek X Caliber 8 after riding a few Treks at a local bike show. They didn't have the 19.5" in the Xcal 8 I wanted so I had to special order it which would take a few weeks. In the time between ordering and it not supposed to arrive until May 5th, I started really researching in preparation for riding. I started getting the idea that upgrading to the X cal 9 would make sense as to get the air fork and slightly better components. That would have bumped me up to the $1250 range. Along the way I ended up doing a ton of reading on here and found my way to Airborne. Everyone seems to give them great reviews and found the Goblin EVO to be right around the same price as the Xcal 9. I'm not familiar with SRAM as I had only ridden decent bikes with Shimano a long time ago so I had to figure out where their component hierarchy matched up. It seems for the price point the evo is quite a bit more bike and decided it may be better to stop the Trek order.

After lurking these forums the last two weeks for way too long almost every day, I said screw it and ordered the EVO last night. Cancelled the X cal 8 order today and finally feel like I'm ordering the right bike to last me a few years. I'll be moving to Colorado next year and hopefully taking this bike down some real mountains so I feel the couple hundred extra dollars gets me components and a fork that will keep me happy until I undoubtably end up on a FS.

Real excited and hopefully the bike shows up this week so I can take it out next weekend! Will post some pics on arrival!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Right now, the Goblin Evo is the best deal out there, period. Congrats.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I got mine yesterday and it's a little big for me but workable. I started assembling today but find the front brake disk is too bent to work it out with adjustments. I sent them a couple emails, hopefully they sort me out. They never replied to my first email and took a bit to reply to my second after I ordered anyways but I'm not too worried about it as I'm told they are a group of 4! That seems insane so while I hope I get taken care of ASAP, I'll try to be patient also.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by drick85 View Post
    A little backstory, I started biking very young on BMX and mountain biking. Rode everywhere all the way up through middle of high school and then kind of just stopped riding for a while and then moved without buying a new bike. Fast forward a decade and I'm getting back into the game. All I currently own is a beat up old Trek road bike and have grown bored of riding around on pavement.

After doing a bit of research and setting a semi-firm budget of $1000 I decided on a Trek X Caliber 8 after riding a few Treks at a local bike show. They didn't have the 19.5" in the Xcal 8 I wanted so I had to special order it which would take a few weeks. In the time between ordering and it not supposed to arrive until May 5th, I started really researching in preparation for riding. I started getting the idea that upgrading to the X cal 9 would make sense as to get the air fork and slightly better components. That would have bumped me up to the $1250 range. Along the way I ended up doing a ton of reading on here and found my way to Airborne. Everyone seems to give them great reviews and found the Goblin EVO to be right around the same price as the Xcal 9. I'm not familiar with SRAM as I had only ridden decent bikes with Shimano a long time ago so I had to figure out where their component hierarchy matched up. It seems for the price point the evo is quite a bit more bike and decided it may be better to stop the Trek order.

After lurking these forums the last two weeks for way too long almost every day, I said screw it and ordered the EVO last night. Cancelled the X cal 8 order today and finally feel like I'm ordering the right bike to last me a few years. I'll be moving to Colorado next year and hopefully taking this bike down some real mountains so I feel the couple hundred extra dollars gets me components and a fork that will keep me happy until I undoubtably end up on a FS.

Real excited and hopefully the bike shows up this week so I can take it out next weekend! Will post some pics on arrival!
    I'm right with you. I almost bought a Specialized Crave today after 2nd visit and ride but the Goblin/Evo still floating in my head. I'm trying to decide between the standard and the EVO. I don't love the EVO color but I'm a bit concerned the Goblin is built on a 3 year old frame and I'll buy it now and 5 months they come out with a totally new revision. I can't decide. Good luck with yours

Sawyer Gnome

You have made an excellent choice.
    Evil The Following
    Raleigh XXIX SS

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Thanks everyone. Forgot to mention I'm 6'2" with stilts for legs so I have all the confidence that 20" is going to be perfect for me. Geometry specs seemed pretty close to the few bikes I test rode and enjoyed. I was a little hesitant to read the posts about the communication delays but after seeing everyone who had minor concerns say they eventually got straightened out I just said "why not?" and went for it. I totally understand how it gets in companies during busy seasons combined with travel so I'm just hoping it gets processed sooner than later. A lot trails around here are just barely getting dry enough to be opened/ridden on so I'm not freaking about a couple days delay in delivery.

The more I read the more excited I get, however, and really hope it gets here so I can ride it stock and see how well it rides before before I go crazy and spend hundreds more trying to color match accessories all over the place, ha!

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I'm around 5'11" and got the 20". First thing I was going to change/color match was the front gear to a RaceFace NW?

Anybody know what this silver cylinder is for behind the pedal arm?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pulled the trigger and got a Goblin EVO 20" on the way.-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I feel your excitement I'm calling them tomorrow to answer a few questions and then I'm going to order as well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    [QUOTE=Anybody know what this silver cylinder is for behind the pedal arm?[/QUOTE]

I believe that's there to keep a derailed chain from slipping down into the crank's "armpit."

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by DieselCane View Post
    I feel your excitement I'm calling them tomorrow to answer a few questions and then I'm going to order as well.
    Hopefully they pick up XD

Quote Originally Posted by harpsm View Post
    I believe that's there to keep a derailed chain from slipping down into the crank's "armpit."
    Ah, neato... Makes sense, thanks.
    Airborne Goblin Evo

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by NekoPlasmid View Post
    Hopefully they pick up XD

s.
    Really hope they pick up I want to order on the spot I already ordered my pedals. I'm pretty sure I'm a 20. I'm 6"2 240 with exactly 32 inseam. I'm anxious to get riding

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Did you end up getting the EVO or just the Goblin? I had previously ordered some Shimano Saint pedals as well but am now thinking about getting something colored to match a pair or grips and possibly seat post change. Having difficult time deciding what color goes best with the metallic blue frame and there isn't a great deal of pictures I'm finding to compare with.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Did you end up getting the EVO or just the Goblin? I had previously ordered some Shimano Saint pedals as well but am now thinking about getting something colored to match a pair or grips and possibly seat post change. Having difficult time deciding what color goes best with the metallic blue frame and there isn't a great deal of pictures I'm finding to compare with.
    I didn't order anything yet want their input but I'm a Clyde so leaning towards EVO bigger frame bigger tires newer geometry but want their input I'll order tomorrow. I was looking at Shimano Saints but I got the below ones instead in green to add contrast I'll ultimately get green grips and green handlebar. I heard stock grips on these bikes are awful.

NC-17 Sudpin II Pro CNC Flat Pedals | Chain Reaction Cycles

mtbr member
    Apr 2015

These have decent reviews and are cheap too:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00JN3...pf_rd_i=mobile

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I think I'm also around that inseam and it's a bit tight lol. I can barely ride all the way up the frame with my shoes on and I'm basically sitting on it at that point. When I'm standing over it at the normal distance from the seat, I can pick up the front wheel what looks to be 4-5" off the ground. Still no reply but it's the weekend so all good. I got Shimano PD MX80's. Would like to color match but they were a good price and had lots of good feedback on Amazon. I want to ride it but don't want to scratch my front brake caliper cuz the disk is too bent.

I see some vids mention 180 disk breaks aren't necessary for this type of bike and I would think they are more prone to warping. Thoughts guys?

On the grips, last bike I had was a genesis? from Walmart that was falling apart so not sure if these grips are good. Funny story is I walked into a LBS for the first time, looked at the prices, went to Walmart thinking I got one from here when I was a kid, it'll be fine. Here I am now with a 1300 dollar bike.... If it starts falling apart, I'm a have a very bad day.
    Airborne Goblin Evo

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I think I'm also around that inseam and it's a bit tight lol. I can barely ride all the way up the frame with my shoes on and I'm basically sitting on it at that point. When I'm standing over it at the normal distance from the seat, I can pick up the front wheel what looks to be 4-5" off the ground. Still no reply but it's the weekend so all good. I got Shimano PD MX80's. Would like to color match but they were a good price and had lots of good feedback on Amazon. I want to ride it but don't want to scratch my front brake caliper cuz the disk is too bent.
    Yes my first thought was to buy the Saints but I want to add some flair to that dark blue color and I think the bright green is a nice combo so I wanted to get some green pedals

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Yes my first thought was to buy the Saints but I want to add some flair to that dark blue color and I think the bright green is a nice combo so I wanted to get some green pedals
    The paint has a nice depth to it, it's not like some cars I've seen in car shows but I really like it. Haven't taken it out to the sun tho lol.
    Airborne Goblin Evo

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    As if the disk brake issue wasn't enough for my first expensive bike, I found another problem. Is seems someone made a mistake when prepping the rims as they have two holes in the tubeless liner instead of one XD

Whomever did it decided to ignore it lol.

Pulled the trigger and got a Goblin EVO 20" on the way.-image.jpg
    Airborne Goblin Evo

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    So spoke to Erik today and pulled trigger on the EVO he said it should ship tomorrow Im very excited.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    So spoke to Erik today and pulled trigger on the EVO he said it should ship tomorrow Im very excited.

My shipping time was super quick so hopefully you'll get it fast. You planing to go tubeless before you ride?
    Airborne Goblin Evo

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    My shipping time was super quick so hopefully you'll get it fast. You planing to go tubeless before you ride?
    Im very much a noob so I wasnt planning on tubeless out of the chute.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I'm planning on going tubeless before I hit the trails but may leave the tubes in to tune up the shocks and shifters/derailers around the neighborhood. Really depends when the bike comes in and what kind of time I have this week. Ideally I'll have it ready to go by Saturday morning when I plan on taking it on the maiden voyage. Fingers crossed.

Hopefully spent money on the last big ticket item gearing up the bike and myself today getting hydration pack. So far have purchased a red Bell Super helmet, red Osprey Raptor 14 and Shimano Saints. Decided to keep the pedals after re-reading more reviews. I just need(want?) some gloves to get started with now. Probably sometime in the next few weeks will look to get some green accents going with possibly grips and seat post QR clamp. Would like to throw some more green on sooner but can't justify spending $50 for a green seat post to replace on a brand new bike yet. Perhaps will set mileage or timing goals on some local trails to reward myself for getting out riding as much as physically possible.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Sounds like a solid strategy to me. I'm going to replace grips seat post clamp and possibly seat all with green stuff at some point

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Pulled the trigger and got a Goblin EVO 20" on the way.-0425151917a.jpg

Gotta get some green rims!

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by opivy View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0425151917a.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	161.3 KB 
ID:	984484

Gotta get some green rims!
    Maybe paint them? I was actually thinking of spaying the entire thing with a matte black paint that can be peeled off if need be for extra protection. Also, while I like the paint job, I prefer the stealth look
    Airborne Goblin Evo

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Found what my brother used to paint his truck rims/grill, will probably try using it to cover the entire bike, maybe leave some spots for blue accents like those that come with grips.

I turned my front tire tubeless yesterday using a compressor and it seems to have gone fairly smoothly and doesn't seem to be leaking so far. Can't do the rear cuz of the hole but hopefully they'll send me some tape. I was a bit worried at first trying to get the tire bead to sit as I didn't want the tire to blow up on me. Thankfully my luck wasn't that bad.... yet. I'm currently having an email convo with Hayes.
    Airborne Goblin Evo

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Hope everything works itself out and glad to hear that going tubeless went well. I've only had a chance to watch a few videos but seems pretty straight forward. Bike is scheduled to be delivered on Saturday so I'll be around for receiving. Guess at this point it makes sense to just hold off until I see in person what the blue looks like. That shot from opivy makes the blue look a heck of lot lighter than it does in most pictures. It does look pretty dang sweet with the green accents everywhere though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    It's pretty deep blue. There was a lot of reflection there. It matches up with almost all blue you get from anything anodized.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Thanks mate.

I actually originally tried to use my Topeka Pocket Rocket but failed miserably as you might guess. Finally asked if we had a compressor as I thought it broke a while back. Turns out we have one so I fired it up real quick. I was able to bend the disk to what looks to be no-rub territory so hopefully it stays there, I'm yet to drive the bike

I though I remember reading this bike came with the required items to shorten the cables but don't seem to see them, hmmm. The end of the front derailleur cable was hitting my pedal arms so I bent it in on itself. The manuals aren't that great and I don't see a manual for the brakes or components but I'm I fan of paperless and having them digital so will look online later. I'm looking at some torque tools but it seems most people I know of go by feel. I was also going to look at helmets tho I still have my old motorcycle full face lol. I'm sure I won't look weird wearing it

I like plain colors with good finish over going "flashy" but do find accents are where being colorful hits home with me. Let me know if you run into some of the same problems I've had when you get your bike;

Bent brake rotor.
    Rim tape having two holes.
    End of front derailleur cable hitting pedal arm.
    No brake/component manual
    Missing love letter

The last one seems to always be omitted

Sawyer Gnome
    Bent brake rotor.

Sure you can't bend it back? If it was that damaged in shipping, I have to imagine there wouldn't be much pushback from Airborne in getting you a replacement.

Gorilla tape that shit and run it!

Cut it off and crimp on a new cap, or zip tie it out of the way

Interwebs yo; get with the times!

Missing love letter

No love letter, but it should have come with flowers and some pastries. Maybe FedEx stole them.
    Evil The Following
    Raleigh XXIX SS

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Thanks mate.

I actually originally tried to use my Topeka Pocket Rocket but failed miserably as you might guess. Finally asked if we had a compressor as I thought it broke a while back. Turns out we have one so I fired it up real quick. I was able to bend the disk to what looks to be no-rub territory so hopefully it stays there, I'm yet to drive the bike

I though I remember reading this bike came with the required items to shorten the cables but don't seem to see them, hmmm. The end of the front derailleur cable was hitting my pedal arms so I bent it in on itself. The manuals aren't that great and I don't see a manual for the brakes or components but I'm I fan of paperless and having them digital so will look online later. I'm looking at some torque tools but it seems most people I know of go by feel. I was also going to look at helmets tho I still have my old motorcycle full face lol. I'm sure I won't look weird wearing it

I like plain colors with good finish over going "flashy" but do find accents are where being colorful hits home with me. Let me know if you run into some of the same problems I've had when you get your bike;

Bent brake rotor.
    Missing love letter

The last one seems to always be omitted
    My bike shipped with two extra cable ends in the box with the reflectors and stans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Bike came today and assembled without much effort. Very nice packaging system for easy and painless setup. Got it up and running but ran into rotor rubbing on both the front and back brakes. Got some brand new Shimano Saints put on but there is a click/clunk on the left side at the top of the pedal stroke. Need to figure out if that is coming from the pedals/crank/BB with some more tinkering. As far as the brakes rubbing I have to do a bit of research before I start messing with the calipers. Seems like there is a chance I can just reseat the bolts that connect the brake to frame and get it lined up, but may need to pull out the pads and do some tinkering.

Bike shifts well from what I can tell without needing any immediate attention. Going to try going tubeless once I get the brakes and clicking sound figured out tonight or tomorrow.

The bike itself is beautiful. Can't wait to throw a few more personal touches on it and make it mine!

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    My brakes were rubbing a bit as well. Loosening the mounting bolts and recentering the calipers and tightening the bolts as described in the Hayes prime YouTube video. Super easy and fast.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuzzy View Post
    Sure you can't bend it back? If it was that damaged in shipping, I have to imagine there wouldn't be much pushback from Airborne in getting you a replacement.

"I was able to bend the disk to what looks to be no-rub territory so hopefully it stays there"

From some of the replies I got during talks with Hayes/airborne it seems disk usually come bent from shipping and shops straighten them out. It makes me wonder why they don't ship them unmounted in a better protected enclosure. I think whomever worked out how to pack the bikes could do a better job with like shaped foam blocks for example.

Gorilla tape that shit and run it!

I live in a small town, gorilla tape is about a 1h drive away and I sold my only vehicle(GSX-R600) to buy this bike. Everything I need is mostly local enough and when I get in shape, I'll make that distance on this bike if it doesn't fall apart. Besides, while I don't think it's a big functional problem, I would like some help with this problem(manufacture defect) other then being told just patch it. Hayes seems to be shipping me some rim tape which I find fair tho the tone I got from the first phone convo was more "[just go to your LBS and have them fix it]" which to me sounds unprofessional. I asked if they would pay the shop for the service/tape and well, after he went silent, I mentioned I wouldn't mind redoing it if they send me the tape. I find that the most reasonable anyways.

Cut it off and crimp on a new cap, or zip tie it out of the way

"I bent it in on itself"

Interwebs yo; get with the times!
    brah, I reck that digi life

No love letter, but it should have come with flowers and some pastries. Maybe FedEx stole them.
    I love cupcakes ;(. For shame FedEx, for shame.

I got no cable ends SecretA. My cassette also has some slight bends that I could thankfully work around with adjustment. They might cause a problem later or when I go 1X10. The back adjusted easy using what secret said, the front disk had to be bent to better shape.

I took the caliper off after it hit it without pads and used the following to straighten it out a bit before putting it back and doing further adjustment. It also gave me a better gauge on how bad the bend was and I sent a vid to Hayes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pulled the trigger and got a Goblin EVO 20" on the way.-image.jpg  

Airborne Goblin Evo

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Dude if the bike got that damaged in shipping you should document it and send it back to airborne for another one. I wouldn't stand for that amount of issues with a brand new bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I don't perceive the damage as critical enough to send it back but again I'm yet to ride it to check it out well. Even though I would have appreciated the guys sending me a new rotor ASAP when I told them my problem, the fact is I paid less for more and I'm willing to work around small issues I normally wouldn't. That said, if something major comes along and I don't get help, I'm not an easy guy to get along with when someone "cheats" me. I simply want to be as reasonable as possible tho my gauge on this could be as bad as my luck... My luck is not the best, I seem to get defective merchandise too often.

My current view is this company is skipping the bike shop to offer better value, with that skip comes the skipped adjustments. I don't know too much about the bike shop world but if this is stuff they usually find and correct without having to replace parts, I think expecting me to do the same is reasonable. Could they make it where this isn't necessary? I'm sure they can but at what cost and then are their target audience going to buy their bikes when companies like trek exist and have better acessibility for test rides and what have you? I don't know...
    Airborne Goblin Evo

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    If I received a bike and the cassette was bent, it'd be going back immediately. Regardless of where I purchased it. To me, that's unacceptable and there's no legitimate fix for something like that.

As for the cable ends, maybe they just ship those on the smaller framed bikes. I'm sure they don't have different cable lengths for each size frame so they know the smaller bikes will need them shortened. Cost cutting measure I'm sure.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Yeah after watching the videos of realigning the calipers it seems like it won't be a difficult fix tomorrow morning. The saints are the only pedals I have right now so I'm not really sure how to check whether they are the problem versus the actual crank or BB. I'm going to recheck and retighten everything from the ground up again and see what happens. Thanks for all the pointers. Hoping to have all the kinks out tomorrow and all the adjustments made so I can hit the trails after work on Tuesday.

EDIT: any chance you can post the link to the hayes brake video? All I'm finding is hayes brake bleed on youtube.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    It's a very slight bend that caused the chain to jump but I've removed the jump adjusting the derailleurs. I don't know how significant it is in compromising the operation of the bike as I have very little knowledge, experience, and am yet to drive it. Turning the pedals and switching gears while upside down seems smooth enough? The frame looks good so I would just ask that another cassette get shipped to me if it came down to it.

Yeah that makes sense, I'll send them a message and ask about it.

Are you using a torque wrench drick? Loctite?
    Not the same model but I found a vid, music is tight yo?

I like this channel
    http://youtu.be/MlETXd4UscQ
    one more
    http://youtu.be/nHdQkm14JVw

The front disk started rubbing again lol. Now I wonder, would making disk brakes with a metal that has memory be viable? I've seen some metals return to original shape when heat is applied and nothing else?

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    My evo arrived with a rubbing front brake as well. The problem wasn't a misaligned brake assembly. In my case I had to remove the brake pads and reset the pistons by jamming them back as far into the housing as I could using a plastic tire lever. Once you get your brake issue fixed make sure you never squeeze the brake lever when the front wheel is not on the bike because that can cause the brake to start rubbing again.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I used the plastic blade cover that came with my Fiskars Amplify Razoredge scissors to push back the pistons lol.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Just got my EVO yesterday didn't listen put it together and handlebars are backwards. Il a dumbass I'll fix it tomorrow can't ride this whole week anyway

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Hahaha XD ride it like that, maybe you've just discovered a new mountain bike meta? Just imagine it, you'll be on the cover of Mountain Bike Weekly... "The man who change it all, a new paradigm has been carved" sponsors will flock towards you, your credit score will fly off the charts, people will bow at your sight, the possibilities are endless, riches ruthless!

I actually took it for a little spin in my house through the hallway, gave a little chuckle of happiness can't lie.

... Ok it was more like an evil laugh...

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Got the rear brake running silently. The little set screws for micro adjustments really make aligning the prime comps a breeze. After successfully tweaking the back brake I got the front aligned as best as possible and noticed there is a bit of a warp in the front rotor. Nothing major that I can't fix but can visibly see the rotor wobble to one pad and back to the other a bit. Didn't realize you would be okay just using an adjustable wrench to true it like they did in the video but I guess that should be a really easy fix with some time. I was looking at getting a rotor truing wrench but no reason to buy it if I'm only working on my single bike.

Once I got brakes almost sorted out, I took it for a few laps around the parking lot nearby and after retightening the pedals, seat post, crank arms, and bottom bracket, the click in the left pedal seems to be gone. Retightened everything at once so I'm not sure exactly what was causing it. Going to have to re attach the pedals in a day or two once my green crank boots come in.

First impressions are the bike rides great. Saddle is really hard but I'll wait till I get a few miles on and see if I need to change it. As a longtime shimano rider it's going to take some getting used to using only thumb levers. Hoping to try setting up tubeless tires tomorrow and if it goes smoothly get out riding on Tuesday still.

EDIT: I haven't used loctite or a torque wrench at all yet since I will likely be doing more adjustments sooner than later until things feel right. I was thinking about getting a 5nm Ritchey TorqKey but seems like that's only useful for handle bars and stems which once I get mine set probably won't be that useful. I've been reading a bunch about torque wrenches but have no clue which way to go as far as purchasing one. I'm getting over budget quickly but don't want to skimp on tools that will end up causing bigger problems down the line.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Hahaha XD ride it like that, maybe you've just discovered a new mountain bike meta? Just imagine it, you'll be on the cover of Mountain Bike Weekly... "The man who change it all, a new paradigm has been carved" sponsors will flock towards you, your credit score will fly off the charts, people will bow at your sight, the possibilities are endless, riches ruthless!

I actually took it for a little spin in my house through the hallway, gave a little chuckle of happiness can't lie.

... Ok it was more like an evil laugh...
    You may be on to something there hahahahahaha

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I'm going to replace the grips cuz I can't tell already they're slick and suck. How do I get them off just cut them with a razor? What's best method? New seat too and probably clamp

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I went looking for a torque wrench as the one I have is quite large and maybe inappropriate. I started wondering why they don't just make a solid pole with some type of gauge on it that measures the torque by how much the metal bends... They do.

Park Tool TW-1 Torque Wrench (1/4- Inch Drive, 0-60 inch Lbs) http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000NV...PHEVP4ASCP83M1

Some vids I found:

http://youtu.be/KNyM0KvDHMM

The things I'm currently looking at are;

Dropper post
    DNM Mountain Bike Bicycle Pro Seatpost Remote Lockout 34.9x330mm Gold
    Amazon.com : DNM Mountain Bike Dropper Seatpost Remote Lockout : Sports & Outdoors

Grips
    ESI grips MTB Fit XC silicone grips, black
    Amazon.com : ESI grips MTB Fit XC silicone grips, black : Sports & Outdoors

Chainring for 1X10 conversion
    Race Face 104mm Single Chain Ring, Blue, 32T 9/10/11 Speed
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00D3F...jLL&ref=plSrch

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Still waiting for the rim tape, I don't want to ride it in my area yet as I've had problems with flats almost every day before. I don't have extra tubes besides the ones it came with which I plan to use for back ups.

I was looking for lights and a computers but can't find anything I really like. I'll probably buy a Topeak PanoBike to use with my iPhone and custom build a light system using Morimoto Matchbox 2.0 projectors as a base. Either that or one Fenix BC30/two IXON IQ Premium's. I like the custom build path tho, would be a neat project

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Hey Neko, if you got an Evo there is no need to bangs rim tape. The stock tape is tubeless... Only fill the tires with the sealant and you're good.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Hey mate,

The tape has two holes in it and I'm waiting for the tape Hayes shipped me to fix it. I've uploaded a pic of the mistake, should be on the first page.

hmm you think I should've made "I've uploaded" the link to the post instead? Lol
    Airborne Goblin Evo

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Still waiting for the rim tape, I don't want to ride it in my area yet as I've had problems with flats almost every day before. I don't have extra tubes besides the ones it came with which I plan to use for back ups.
    Set up the front wheel tubeless and now you have a spare tube...

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Sorry Neko, didn't see the early posts. I hope you are liking your bike so far!

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I'm going to replace the grips cuz I can't tell already they're slick and suck. How do I get them off just cut them with a razor? What's best method? New seat too and probably clamp
    Do you wear gloves when riding? I found the stock grips to be slick and crappy barehanded, but they're fine when I'm wearing gloves.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    on my original goblin I just pulled back the grip just enough to get a couple of drops of water in and they slid off easily (well, they didn't slide off but you get the gist... just get the water in there and twist them and pull off while doing so....)
    I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.. Oh SH*T!!!

mtbr member
    ^^+1, or you can take a small allen wrench, slide it under the grip, and add two drops of iso alcohol, twist, slides right off.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Goblinevontf View Post
    Set up the front wheel tubeless and now you have a spare tube...
    I would rather have two spares then one XD. I'm not kidding, I had flats nearly every day. I basically used that bike to make 16 mile trips to the next town and back 5 days a week. It was a mix of pavement and hard dirt riding. The tires on that bike were probably horrible tho. If the tape doesn't come tomorrow, I've waited long enough and will probably ride it as you say.

I've looked at a larger teeth chainrings for 1X10 but given it would land between the two current rings, it might hit the frame lol.
    Last edited by NekoPlasmid; 05-07-2015 at 07:58 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    that looks great love the green!!!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Maybe paint them? I was actually thinking of spaying the entire thing with a matte black paint that can be peeled off if need be for extra protection. Also, while I like the paint job, I prefer the stealth look
    Looks awesome!!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by la10slgr View Post
    on my original goblin I just pulled back the grip just enough to get a couple of drops of water in and they slid off easily (well, they didn't slide off but you get the gist... just get the water in there and twist them and pull off while doing so....)

Good tip thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Do you wear gloves when riding? I found the stock grips to be slick and crappy barehanded, but they're fine when I'm wearing gloves.
    I wear fingerless gloves but still a noob

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I used baseball gloves last time XD

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    So I've ridden the bike a couple days and have a question. My headset squeaks when I rotate the bars, is this normal?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Nope.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    So I've ridden the bike a couple days and have a question. My headset squeaks when I rotate the bars, is this normal?
    My new evo does that too! Very annoying. I emailed airborne and they suggested disassembling the headset and greasing it. The YouTube channel global mountain bike network just posted a great video on how to do this about a week ago.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    My new evo does that too! Very annoying. I emailed airborne and they suggested disassembling the headset and greasing it. The YouTube channel global mountain bike network just posted a great video on how to do this about a week ago.
    Well ain't that just peachy....

Thanks for the heads up on the vid, I have them in my sub box so found it quickly.

Sawyer Gnome

Is it slightly too tight, or too loose? Does it do it on the stand, or just on the ground?
    Evil The Following
    Raleigh XXIX SS

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuzzy View Post
    Is it slightly too tight, or too loose? Does it do it on the stand, or just on the ground?
    In the air and on the ground.
    Airborne Goblin Evo

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I had the same problem as well after a few rides. I fixed it by lubing where the black round plastic cover of the headset meets the frame. I used tri-flow lube (the one with the tube). I have not had any issues with it since.

mtbr member
    +1 to moroccanjoe - the rubber top just needs a tad bit of lube to stop the squeak.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by moroccanjoe2 View Post
    I had the same problem as well after a few rides. I fixed it by lubing where the black round plastic cover of the headset meets the frame. I used tri-flow lube (the one with the tube). I have not had any issues with it since.
    That's great to hear. I'll try that before I do any "invasive surgery." I suppose any dry or wet chain lube should work as well as the tri-flow? I don't want to use anything that would attract grit into the bearings.

mtbr member
    Any kind of lube will always attract dirt, but you don't need to worry about it too much. You just need enough to put a thin film on the rubber underside, put everything back together, and wipe off the excess on the outside. I use the blue Park Tool grease myself, not sure if a chain lube would last long, but it is better than nothing.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I used tri-flow because it is very thin and very easy to apply with the tube that it comes with it. Regular lube will be a little more messy but should work. I used a very small amount of lube so that hopefully It doesn't attract too much dirt.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I used this and it seems to have worked.

Another question. If I'm going 1X10, what is the biggest chainring I can use? I see it might hit the swingarm if I go too big.
    Airborne Goblin Evo

mtbr member
    Another question. If I'm going 1X10, what is the biggest chainring I can use? I see it might hit the swingarm if I go too big.
    38T will fit just fine, unsure of anything higher though. I take it your elevation gain isn't too much to ride a ring of that size?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ul_chicken View Post
    38T will fit just fine, unsure of anything higher though. I take it your elevation gain isn't too much to ride a ring of that size?
    I ride like a goat bro, I ain't scared :3

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I got rid of my EVO headset squeak by following moroccanjoe's advice. It only took a bit of chain lube on the rubbery underside of the tapered black ring. Thanks for the advice!