Project 505: Out with the bad juju!!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Project 505: Out with the bad juju!!

Project 505: Out with the bad juju!!-13737698_2055586084667151_6295316758921784295_o.jpg

It has been over 200 days since I have ridden my Plague, this bike has been dealing out some bad juju. First, the wife takes a really hard fall on this bike back in May of last year, and to this day, she will not get back on it. I took the Plague back out on Dec 9th for the first time since August at Purgatory Bike Park, abruptly broke both wrists, and tore up a derailleur hanger. Since the wreck, the bike has been parked in the basement awaiting repairs, grounded, waiting to be ridden again. Needless to say, there is a demon that needs to be exercised, a curse that needs to be lifted. The only way I can think of to do so is give the Rev. 3 a face-lift. I was originally going to have it powder-coated another color, but that just seems rather boring to me as there isn't much creativity in doing so. A long time ago I used to airbrush RC car bodies, and that creative bug has come out of hiding to do something quite awesome (at least in my mind) to the frame. Inspiration for the project came from Airborne releasing the Stealth Griffin. So, yeah, this is all their fault!

Rattle cans were going to be my go-to, but they aren't very durable as compared to powder-coating. I have spent the last week researching forums and images on the interweb to see what others have been doing to their frames, so I can get an idea of direction. Spray.Bike seems to have figured it out with an acrylic powder-coat in a can, with 65 different colors to choose from. Supposedly, the stuff won't drip or run, with a very fast drying time of ten minutes to touch, and two hours to cure. After three days of figuring out what colors to get, I placed my order on the 23rd. So far my only gripe with the company is how fast things move - apparently, it takes two full weeks to pull an order and ship it. 7-10 business days is a bit extreme, and it has been over week with no shipping confirmation as of yet. Normally, I wouldn't mind, but when I have to pay an extra 15 bucks to ship from two states over, it shouldn't take that long. </rant>

Project 505: Out with the bad juju!!-order.jpg

I chose Memphis Purple, Osaka Keirin Purple, Bethnal Green, and Blackfriars Black. The Keiren Purple will be shot over the black, here is what it should look like.

Name:  Keiren.JPG
Views: 423
Size:  22.2 KB

I also picked up a can of the Frame Builders Smoothing Putty to fill in scratches on the rear triangle and the scratches at the down-tube, above the BB. I have taken the frame apart, removed the linkage, rear triangle and have that broken down as well. I can't decide if I should pull the bearings or not, there are a couple that feel a bit gritty. However, I should be able to get to one side of each bearing and just do a quick service, and then cover them with tape. If I have enough paint left over, I plan on painting the cranks and the fork.

With a design in mind, the frame broken down to all four pieces, it is time to remove the decals, lightly sand the frame down, clean it with medical grade alcohol to get it ready for the FBS Putty. Hmmm... if only it were here already...

More to come along with pictures and all the fun painting steps that go with it. Right now I am in a holding pattern, so I may as well get a pick and get after some suspension bearings to pass the time while I wait for the goods to arrive.
    Last edited by s0ul_chicken; 05-31-2018 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Adding link

mtbr member
    Good Morning! I had a productive evening moving forward on the bike, but I am afraid that I will have to have to replace a bunch of bearings in the near future. There are two bad bearings in the swing link, and the larger two on the lower triangle arm will also have to be replaced as they almost feel like there is a large flat-spot in them. Fun! I serviced all the bearings and gave them a shot of fresh grease in the meantime. They feel a little bit better, but I don't think there is any coming back to any kind of real smoothness in their action. A big deal? Perhaps not since there isn't much movement like there would be in a hub bearing.

I removed the headset cups and started knocking down the shine off the frame to get it ready for smoothing out once I get the putty in. After hitting the frame with a a scotch-brite pad, I noticed more paint issues than when I initially started. Of course, I was never really expecting a showroom finish on the frame since it is one of the prototypes.

Project 505: Out with the bad juju!!-frameandlink.jpg

Project 505: Out with the bad juju!!-framebb.jpg

Project 505: Out with the bad juju!!-headsetdowntube.jpg

The scotch-brite pad I have is worn out, so I will have to get more before I go further on the frame. In the meantime, this weekend I plan on getting with a local vinyl cutter to get some masking and decals made up. The headbadge will be in paint, so I will have to get a low-tack mask for that. More to come! Have a great weekend everyone!

mtbr member
    Finally - after thirteen days, I have gotten my shipping confirmation. I am really looking forward to move onto the next step of the process. I have the frame and parts all cleaned up, bearings and thread surfaces are masked and ready to go. More updates to come once the paints have arrived.

mtbr member
    Finally, I can get started on the frame since the paints have arrived. I have my first coat of builders putty (a fancy way of calling it primer??) on the frame, but it will need another coat to smooth out the downtube. I have everything masked off including the cranks, a quarter and a dime made an excellent template on the tape to cover the bearings and sway link mounting positions. I couldn't get the tape to stick on the BB threads, so I put a light layer of grease on the threads so I can just wipe off any over-spray.

I found a local sign company that sells low-tack vinyl, so I have them making up my "A" headbadge, and other related Airborne logos so I can get them painted onto the frame. I will be able to start shooting the green tomorrow night, but will have to wait to go any further until my vinyl is ready. More to come!!

Project 505: Out with the bad juju!!-img_0128.jpg

Project 505: Out with the bad juju!!-img_0130.jpg

Project 505: Out with the bad juju!!-img_0134.jpg

mtbr member
    Ready for color, all pieces have been given a coat of primer to finish off the can of Frame Builders Putty. The primer was very easy to work with and came out very smooth. Bethnal green is next, as that will be my outline/pinstripe color for the overall design. After that, I am at the mercy of the sign company who is cutting my low-tack logo masks. I will be painting the headbadge and logos into the frame, so there will be no decals. Stoked to say the least!! Have a great weekend everyone!

Project 505: Out with the bad juju!!-img_0136.jpg

mtbr member
    After a weekend of windy weather, I was finally able to start on the main part of the frame. Bethnal green will be the pinstripe/outline color of my design, so that goes on first. I really like the way the green looks, it actually turned out better than I thought it would. I should be able to start on the rest of the frame tonight as long as the winds do not kick up like they have been. The 416 fire in Durango is playing hell with the air quality in the Four Corners, making it tough to do anything, let alone ride my Griffin. I am hoping the incoming storms from Hurricane Bud really dump some rains like they are projecting for the weekend, helping the firefighters get the 416 under control.

After I finish up all the green, I will be at another stopping point since I haven't been given a call to say my vinyl is ready... it's always hurry up and wait.

Project 505: Out with the bad juju!!-img_0150.jpg

mtbr member
    Another shot of the frame, this time in full sun at lunch.

Project 505: Out with the bad juju!!-img_0155.jpg

mtbr member
    Finally, we received rain for the first time in a long time! I started masking off the design, so sometime this week I should be able to shoot the base color. I also received my low-tack vinyl, but it is the opposite of what I wanted. I wanted the positive side of the vinyl, so all I had to do was put on the logos and paint on the rest of the bike. The final step would have been to simply peel off the low-tack, and have the color green show, then all I would have to do is hit the whole bike with the final paint, the clearcoat Kierin. Since it is backwards, it would be a final step of painting on the logo, which is what I didn't want to do. Now I cannot decide on how I want to proceed.

In the meantime, I started to mask off my project, a classic frame pattern. I started practicing with a tape I am not fond of, some orange fineline that stretches too easily. Once I got the pattern down, I can switch to the good stuff, 3M 1/16th inch for the outline. Once the pattern is set, I can paint up the black, then mask over the flames to finish with the purple. Speaking of purple, I really didn't like the Memphis as much as I thought I would, so I have the Plumsted coming in its place. More to come, as usual! Have a good week everyone!

Project 505: Out with the bad juju!!-img_0162.jpg

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0162.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	139.7 KB 
ID:	1204147

Project 505: Out with the bad juju!!-img_0163.jpg

mtbr member
    Nice!! After the mix-up of my vinyl, I went with another company in town to cut what I needed. They got me and the project hooked up, and it didn't even take 24 hours to get my order done in the correct layout and sizing. Finally, I can lay down the vinyl and start on the next color. The project should move along quickly now that I can finally move forward. With all the fineline down, I just need to hit it quick with the green to make sure I have clean lines. Any paint bleeds should be addressed by that step. I will more than likely shoot the black next, I don't think I will have as much area to mask off for the purple. More to come, I should have more pictures in the next day or two.

mtbr member
    Lot's of content to drop today, it has been a very productive weekend to say the least! Friday night I was able to complete all the fineline work and get the Airborne masks put onto the frame. Next step is to simply hit all the masking and fineline with the same green, to avoid any paint bleeds. Up until this point, it has been slow going, but now that everything is on the frame, it will really start to go by quickly.

Project 505: Out with the bad juju!!-img_0165.jpg

Project 505: Out with the bad juju!!-img_0183.jpg

Project 505: Out with the bad juju!!-img_0186.jpg

Project 505: Out with the bad juju!!-img_0189.jpg

After shooting the green and waiting about an hour, it is time to get the Blackfriars black and get that on the frame so I can start to mask off the flames. This part takes a bit of time as I have to cut each piece over the fineline being careful not to cut too deep as that will cause a paint bleed right in the center of the pinstripe.

Project 505: Out with the bad juju!!-img_0192.jpg

Project 505: Out with the bad juju!!-img_0193.jpg

All the masking is finally complete, and looking really good. I was even able to mask in a negative space flame, so I am really anxious to see how it all turns out!

mtbr member
    As promised, more content to pass along. Now that the flames are masked off, it is time to start on the purple. I went with the Plumsted instead of the Memphis, it seemed a bit too lavender for my taste level, but the Plumsted should look sweet next to the green pinstripe.

Project 505: Out with the bad juju!!-img_0199.jpg

Project 505: Out with the bad juju!!-img_0201.jpg

It is hard to believe I am almost finished with the frame! Time to shoot the purple and let it set for a bit before I move on.

Project 505: Out with the bad juju!!-img_0203.jpg

Project 505: Out with the bad juju!!-img_0205.jpg

Now that I have the purple all sprayed, it will be time to start taking off the masking. The only masking I will have left on there will be the green, as I want to keep that matte with no Kierin treatment.

Project 505: Out with the bad juju!!-img_0206.jpg

Flames unmasked with the pinstripe and Airborne logos still on the frame, time to hit the rear triangle and frame with the Kierin Purple Sunlight. This stuff is essentially clear coat with purple glass particles in solution. A word about their clears/Kierins - this stuff comes out of the can 5x faster than their regular paints. If you aren't careful, this stuff will collect and run very quickly. Coverage is excellent, and pictures do not give the effect any justice. I covered both the black and the purple with the Kierin purple, and it is sweet in the sunlight, slightly changing the Plumsted color. After 30 minutes, I polished up the frame and started to remove the final masking, exposing the green. More to come today!!

mtbr member
    Almost there! Time to start removing the pinstripe and vinyl to finish out the paint job. The final reveal will be in a few days once I get the bike put back together, they recommend waiting at least two days to assemble the bike. All three frame pieces and cranks are now outside baking in the desert sun awaiting assembly. Man, that green really makes the flames pop!! I will be posting up more pictures once I get the bike put back together. I had a blast making this happen, and it really turned out nice!

Project 505: Out with the bad juju!!-img_0213.jpg

Project 505: Out with the bad juju!!-img_0214.jpg

Project 505: Out with the bad juju!!-img_0216.jpg

Project 505: Out with the bad juju!!-img_0225.jpg

Project 505: Out with the bad juju!!-img_0228.jpg

Project 505: Out with the bad juju!!-img_0231.jpg

Project 505: Out with the bad juju!!-img_0235.jpg

Project 505: Out with the bad juju!!-img_0248.jpg

Project 505: Out with the bad juju!!-img_0250.jpg

mtbr member
    Frame assembled, I just need to clean up some components and get everything back on the bike.

Project 505: Out with the bad juju!!-img_0257.jpg

Project 505: Out with the bad juju!!-img_0258.jpg

Project 505: Out with the bad juju!!-img_0261.jpg

mtbr member
    Nice work man, looks really good! How do you like that Spray Bike paint? Considering a similar job on a bike i have.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post
    Nice work man, looks really good! How do you like that Spray Bike paint? Considering a similar job on a bike i have.

Thanks!
    Thanks, I appreciate that! I have a few more pics to upload, but what I am waiting on is my decal set for the wheels. I ordered in both green and purple since I really don't know which color will work better with the paint job.

I really liked using the paint, it was easy to work with and with the fast dry times, it was easy to knock out a good paint job in a short amount of time. It will be my go-to paint for any bike project in the future just for that reason. The only thing I wasn't a fan of was how fast the clear coat material moved out of the can, it reminded me off the Better Off Dead scene where John Cusack was using the deodorant spray can! I guess the only other drawback is the price, but if it is durable paint like they say it is, it will be worth it in the long run.

Once I get my rim decals in I will post up final shots, but this should keep you going in the meantime.

Project 505: Out with the bad juju!!-img_0268.jpg

Project 505: Out with the bad juju!!-img_0272.jpg

Project 505: Out with the bad juju!!-img_0273.jpg

Project 505: Out with the bad juju!!-img_0274.jpg

Project 505: Out with the bad juju!!-img_0276.jpg

Project 505: Out with the bad juju!!-img_0277.jpg

Project 505: Out with the bad juju!!-img_0285.jpg

mtbr member
    Another picture to add, I removed the Easton logos off the wheels in prep for the new ones. I really like the murdered out look on the wheels, it has me contemplating on leaving it as is. That will probably change though once the decals do arrive...

Project 505: Out with the bad juju!!-img_0295%5B1%5D.jpg

Pinehurst NC
    Looks killer
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Loud hubs save lives!"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Don't Surf View Post
    Looks killer
    Thanks Charlie!

Wheel decals arrived in L.A., which means they will be here just as I am taking off to Telluride for the weekend to enjoy some cool weather and fun riding. It will be next week before I get a chance to see how they look. Almost finished! I have also decided to take the plunge on a Rough Cut damper for the X-Fusion Sweep RL, as I may as well start upgrading the bike from the budget build. If it performs like they say, then I will be doing the same to the Goblin and the Slide RL. Once that arrives I will get it installed to do some test riding up at Purgatory bike park. Stay tuned!

mtbr member
    Received the new Easton logos, I also received the Rough Cut damper as well, that will probably get installed later this weekend. More to come as I get to take it out this weekend for some better pictures.

Project 505: Out with the bad juju!!-frame1.jpg

Project 505: Out with the bad juju!!-frame2.jpg

mtbr member
    Out with the old, in with the new!! HLR Rough Cut damper upgrade going into the 160mm Sweep from X-Fusion. Yummy! This will allow me to adjust the High Speed Compression, and Low Speed Compression on the fork. Small bump compliance is what I am searching for and this should do the trick. Neat system, it has its own bladder, so there is no need to have fluid in the damper chamber since it is self-contained.

Project 505: Out with the bad juju!!-hlr.jpg

mtbr member
    Roughcut installed, Brown Widow killed, headed to Purgatory this coming Sunday for some testing and dialing in the ride. Can't wait!!!

Project 505: Out with the bad juju!!-img_0355.jpg

Project 505: Out with the bad juju!!-img_0398-2-.jpg

Project 505: Out with the bad juju!!-img_0340.jpg

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    Well done. Looks killer!
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

mtbr member
    Out at Alien Run last weekend.

Project 505: Out with the bad juju!!-20180825_102225.jpg