New Saddle Sugestions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2014

New Saddle Sugestions

Hey guys

I found after a 10 mile ride on my Evo Saturday that the stock saddle on the bike makes for a pretty rough ride and am looking to snag a new one up this week hopefully. I was hoping you guys would have some good suggestions for a new seat!

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I've always liked the wtb saddles.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I'm a big fan of the WTB and Specialized saddles. I'm using a WTB pure V sale right now and love it, but saddles are a very personnel thing, and you have to find out what works for you.

mtbr member
    I have a WTB on my Goblin but prefer the stock saddle on my HGXO.

mtbr member
    Another WTB Pure V vote here

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I see a couple different names for the pure v, they look very similar. But are you guys talking about the pure v comp, race, or pro?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Rob View Post
    I see a couple different names for the pure v, they look very similar. But are you guys talking about the pure v comp, race, or pro?
    I have 2 of the comp (cheapest one). My understanding which may be wrong is the difference is in the construction material and weight. I should also point out that I am a bigger guy so I chose a bit bigger/more padded saddle. If you are smaller or want lighter weight, I still recommend the WTB line of saddles but a different one may be better suited.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I did 18 miles on my EVO on Saturday and my butt still hurts!!

mtbr member
    I struggled with saddle soreness for a while and finally found the WTB Devo. Some think its a little too stiff (giggity) but I've found it extremely comfortable. It is wide and flat better suited for people with wider sit-bones. For me personally I have discovered that saddle comfort has more to do with shape than the amount of padding.

DFMBA.org
    SQ Labs gets my vote. I have wide arse bones and their 150 is perfect.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

eff
    mtbr member
    Wow, I thought I would hate the stock saddle on my EVO, but I love it. Not one ounce of soreness after a ride. My old bike has a WTB Speed Comp and my ass kills if I ride both days of the weekend.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by eff View Post
    Wow, I thought I would hate the stock saddle on my EVO, but I love it. Not one ounce of soreness after a ride. My old bike has a WTB Speed Comp and my ass kills if I ride both days of the weekend.
    It tore me apart this past weekend. Saddles are different for everyone though of course!

mtbr member
    Im having same issue (bad soreness with stock saddle). I want to buy a white one anyways. Does anyone know how much the STOCK saddle on the EVO weighs? I know its minor but id like to save a little weight if I can.

[email protected]! and good luck OP on your search. Let us know what you go with.
    People ask me all the time "who beat you up"? I tell them "a tree". They just look at me funny....

mtbr member
    I bought a cheap 4ZA carbon rail saddle off Amazon (Cirrus Pro) and its light and comfy. They make them in 135/145 mm.

Ive learned that it's better to buy cheap to see what fits (stems, bars, saddles) then splurge once you have it figured out.
    Do Fun Stuff

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I use the WTB Pure V Race on my Goblin. Love it.

WTB Pure V Race SE Saddle

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    +1 for Pure V Race on my Seeker, most comfortable saddle I ever rode. I am a Clyde as well. They have slightly smaller ones if not so big, I think Speed V

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Well, sounds like I'll be giving the WTB Pure V Race saddle a try. I'll probably order it tomorrow! Thanks to everyone for all of the suggestions, hopefully this saddle ends up being the one for me!

mtbr member
    Performance Bike has the Race V for sale, 30 bucks. Can't beat that deal!

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Well, sounds like I'll be giving the WTB Pure V Race saddle a try. I'll probably order it tomorrow! Thanks to everyone for all of the suggestions, hopefully this saddle ends up being the one for me!
    Awesome! I saw the Race SE for sale for $40 as well. Is there a difference between the 2? I couldn't really see one besides the SE is like a few millimeters wider and longer? Which makes no difference I would feel...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ta87 View Post
    I bought a cheap 4ZA carbon rail saddle off Amazon (Cirrus Pro) and its light and comfy. They make them in 135/145 mm.
    bought the same one just to try it out. so far, it's working. Not sure if it's better than my WTB speed, but it's OK. Before I buy another saddle, I'm probably going to go to a good bike shop and try to get an actual seat width measurement.

mtbr member
    Another big +1 for the wtb pure v race. A word of caution though, if you are a very big guy (200 plus) do not get the PRO version. The pro version has hollow rails and they are weak. I am 220 geared up and I crushed the rails on my pure v pro in less than 200 miles. In addition the pro version costs about $30 more. The race version has solid cromo rails and it is much stronger. Performance bike has the pure v race on sale for $30 right now.

mtbr member
    Awesome! I saw the Race SE for sale for $40 as well. Is there a difference between the 2? I couldn't really see one besides the SE is like a few millimeters wider and longer? Which makes no difference I would feel...
    I looked into the exact same thing, and could not figure out any differences between the two other besides what you found. Either way, at 30 bucks, it's a steal, and it's ordered! My San Marco seat is starting to bug me, so I will save it for a race seat this coming fall.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ul_chicken View Post
    I looked into the exact same thing, and could not figure out any differences between the two other besides what you found. Either way, at 30 bucks, it's a steal, and it's ordered! My San Marco seat is starting to bug me, so I will save it for a race seat this coming fall.
    Also ordered it, now the wait! It says 4-7 business days, so it could potentially be here this weekend, unlikely but hopefully!

mtbr member
    Also ordered it, now the wait! It says 4-7 business days, so it could potentially be here this weekend, unlikely but hopefully!
    I had to add some padding to the San Marco (aka the S&M saddle...), which made it look pretty damned stupid, but it worked!

mtbr member
    I have both the race and race SE. Aside from the "Pure V" logo being printed slightly different, they are virtually the same. Buy whichever is cheapest.

mtbr member
    Nice to know. Im stationed in a tiny town in S. Korea so its difficult for me to get measured.

I my pick up a WTB just to check it out for my FS build.
    Do Fun Stuff

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ta87 View Post
    Nice to know. Im stationed in a tiny town in S. Korea so its difficult for me to get measured.

I my pick up a WTB just to check it out for my FS build.
    I wish I had an MTB back when I was there 90-92 - I think a DMZ dark ride would have been quite exceptional! Then again, you wouldn't be able to see the landmine markers....

Be safe over there Ta87!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    The weird thing is when I was riding a 26 I had a Rocket V on that bike and it felt great. It's 127mm wide vs 145mm but when I got the Goblin the Rocket V felt too narrow. My tires got bigger - not my butt!

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by pattongb View Post
    Does anyone know how much the STOCK saddle on the EVO weighs?
    I just weighed mine on the kitchen scale at 320 grams.

mtbr member
    I wish I had an MTB back when I was there 90-92 - I think a DMZ dark ride would have been quite exceptional! Then again, you wouldn't be able to see the landmine markers....

Be safe over there Ta87!
    I was in a bit closer to Seoul last time I was in Korea so I never really needed a bike to get around since the public transportation system made it so easy to get around. I'm a bit further south this time around so I figured I'd get back into biking while I'm over here. It hasn't disappointed.

Cheers, good sir.
    Do Fun Stuff

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by WineDine29er View Post
    I struggled with saddle soreness for a while and finally found the WTB Devo. Some think its a little too stiff (giggity) but I've found it extremely comfortable. It is wide and flat better suited for people with wider sit-bones. For me personally I have discovered that saddle comfort has more to do with shape than the amount of padding.
    you forgot to add your signature ~ Glen Quagmire
    (I thought your little addition was hilarious)
    I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.. Oh SH*T!!!

mtbr member
    I think we got screwed Ta87, they have it listed now 20% off closeout price with free shipping. DAMMIT MAN!

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I think we got screwed Ta87, they have it listed now 20% off closeout price with free shipping. DAMMIT MAN!
    I bought it yesterday too....son of a gun

mtbr member
    Well, still a deal I guess, but it would have been nice to save the extra ten bucks....

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Just FYI you don't get free shipping unless you order 49.00 or more (which the seat isn't). They charged me 4.99 shipping. The 20% discount saved me $6.00. Looking forward to the new seat. You may be able to call them and ask for the $6.00 back. Their online chat rep was quick and knowledgeable as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by saberworks View Post
    Just FYI you don't get free shipping unless you order 49.00 or more (which the seat isn't). They charged me 4.99 shipping. The 20% discount saved me $6.00. Looking forward to the new seat. You may be able to call them and ask for the $6.00 back. Their online chat rep was quick and knowledgeable as well.
    OK, did a live chat and they are refunding my credit card the difference, another ten dollars off! Thanks saberworks! Six off the saddle, and four for the shipping difference. AWESOME!

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    For $24 I picked one up as well to either use on my incoming Evo or my beater bike. Nice deal.

mtbr member
    It's funny, I've been through a couple of more expensive saddles but I end up going back to my cheap Diamondback saddle. Of course, I wear MTB shorts with a separate shammy so that obviously makes a difference but the point is, what works for me may not work for you. As others have said, a saddle is a very personal thing.

mtbr member
    My Pure V arrived today, and I was shocked at how comfortable the seat is! According to my scale, the V is only 27 grams heavier than the stock San Marco seat, too. Not bad at all.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    My Pure V arrived today, and I was shocked at how comfortable the seat is! According to my scale, the V is only 27 grams heavier than the stock San Marco seat, too. Not bad at all.
    Mine came in the mail on Monday, however I haven't gotten back home to put it on and try it out yet. Hoping to go out either Saturday or Sunday and hit some shorter trails.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Every time somebody's ridden my Goblin with the Pure V they comment on how comfortable it is. That back ramp feels like a hand cupping your butt. lol

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by megalowmatt View Post
    Every time somebody's ridden my Goblin with the Pure V they comment on how comfortable it is. That back ramp feels like a hand cupping your butt. lol
    Right? That was my very first thought, too. I haven't had a chance to ride it on the trails yet, but that will change first thing in the morning!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    The Pure V used to be my favorite seat. I recently built up a bike and decided to try the Spoon Charge, and I was shocked that for me it is much more comfortable than the Pure V, and I thought that Pure V was comfortable.
    '15 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    '19 Karate Monkey
    Motobecane Boris
    Raleigh Willard 3, Furley & Militis 3 (SS)
    Nashbar Carbon Road

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    The Pure V feels great, I just wish it had more rearward travel on the rails than the stock saddle. Oh well, I was planning on a setback seat post anyway, so now I have the excuse!

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Just wanted to update here. I also emailed them and was able to get the extra 20% off so that was some awesome customer service.

For the quality of the seat, I had to find the right position for it, but once I did it made world's of difference. The first time I went out and rode my evo the seat put me in a horrible mood and I could barely pedal due to my sore bottom. With the pure v I rode the same ride and couldn't even tell I had been riding!