new goblin - wheel bumps- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2013

new goblin - wheel bumps

Took my new goblin for first ride today. love the bike except I noticed a constant bump on the rear wheel as it rotates to one specific spot. Almost like the wheel bulges in one particular spot on the tire. I recall reading some thread about wheel true issues. So when I got home, I put the bike upside down and spun the rear wheel. Sure enough in one spot, the wheels moves to the left say 1/4-3/8" or so. I spun the front wheel and it also occurred but not as much as the rear. Is this because the wheel is not true? I bought 4 bikes from the local dealers before and none had this problem. Ideas?

mtbr member
    Take both wheels off and inspect and re-install them. Make sure the two springs, QR and skewers are fitted and seated where they should be.

I've seen missing springs cause that issue but this is just speculation.
    Do Fun Stuff

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Could be the wheels are out of true too. Common after shipping a bike. Swing by a shop and they can true them with a small cost if they are really only off by a little.

mtbr member
    I'd put my money on the tyre bead not being properly seated. Did you check the tyre/rim interface to make sure that the tyre itself was properly seated and the bead had popped up all the way? What you describe is not something that makes you feel a hop, but a not properly seated tyre will. If you don't know how to check this, then maybe try You Tube and if that doesn't work, swallow your pride, take your online bought bike into a local shop and ask for help and of course pay for said help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    I second the thought that it could a the tire bead needing to be seated. It's not unusual for a bike to lose air in the tires from the time its boxed at the factory until it gets to your door, and depending on how its been transported it could get jostled around a bit in the box which could unseat the bead if the air pressure is low enough. This is genearlly true for any brand of bike that arrives at your door in a box.

Hope that helps!

Jeremy
    Please Note: I no longer work for Airborne. If you have an Airborne question or problem please contact them directly.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    So I deflated the tire. Broke the bead on both sides of the tire and worked both side of the tire as air was pumped into the tire to make sure nothing was preventing the tire bead from setting. I didnt resolve the problem. I did notice the wobble occurrs where the deflector (?) Is placed on the spokes. The wobble moves the tire similar to the shape of an "S". I made a quick 15 sec video to show.
    https://app.box.com/s/cyblpvjgyl4uwl6c98f1jk9djhajtkvr

One thought that came to mind was the bike box had a small hole when it was delivered. I inspected the bike but didn't see any physical damage. Perhaps this may have something to do with it. I'm going to contact Airborne and see what they can do.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails new goblin - wheel bumps-14295921735921209433749.jpg  

mtbr member
    OK, sounds like maybe your wheel is out of true, maybe overall spoke tension is low, I'd def let someone who knows what they're doing look at it and true and check tensions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowfin View Post
    So I deflated the tire. Broke the bead on both sides of the tire and worked both side of the tire as air was pumped into the tire to make sure nothing was preventing the tire bead from setting. I didnt resolve the problem. I did notice the wobble occurrs where the deflector (?) Is placed on the spokes. The wobble moves the tire similar to the shape of an "S". I made a quick 15 sec video to show.
    https://app.box.com/s/cyblpvjgyl4uwl6c98f1jk9djhajtkvr

One thought that came to mind was the bike box had a small hole when it was delivered. I inspected the bike but didn't see any physical damage. Perhaps this may have something to do with it. I'm going to contact Airborne and see what they can do.
    Yea, send Airborne that video as well. Your wheel is definitely not supposed to be that out of alignment. A bike mechanic should be able to fix that very quickly and for not a lot of money.

mtbr member
    Out of true. If you're mechanically inclined, grab a spoke wrench. It's not difficult. Just watch some youtube videos on it, and give it a shot. You'd be amazed at how easy it is. Just don't over tighten, and you're good. (tap the spoke with a screw driver and listen, or squeeze nearby spokes for reference)

mtbr member
    I would avoid the above, personally - usually a quick true from an LBS is best, the quickest, and it would give you your peace of mind back.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I would ask Airborne to pick up the tab if you're going to take it in to be trued. You should get a new bike with no defects imo.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    If it really is as small as you describe it should cost no more than $15 at a reputable shop to true. Chalk it up to final adjustments to the bike. Every new bike needs its wheels trued. If it's way out of whack I would contact Airborne.